• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New HMR Pro - A Bit of a Letdown

Agree. OP shoot your rifle. If it shoots better than 1" you are good. Practice, try different ammo and you might be pleasantly surprised that the gun is capable of 1/2 MOA ...

Worst case, send it to MileHigh and they will fix it up so that it DOES shoot 1/2 MOA or better ... after that its a just matter of getting to the point where YOU can shoot 1/2 MOA ...

Last edited:
Reactions: Tx_Aggie
Hmm @Primus makes some good points ... I was trying to play nice and hoping to supply the OP a little dose of reality ... did I waste my time?

Some good points made here from several people and perhaps I jumped the gun (so to speak) and pre-judging the performance of the rifle. I will try multiple forms of factory ammo and this may also be the catalyst that finally gets me into hand loading, as well.

Didn't mean to come off as a whiner, just sharing my immediate response to what I saw vs. what I expected. I'm sure in the end, I will be satisfied with this rifle and the reason for purchase was to get something new as I am planning to attend a Leupold PSR-1 class next year and develop some longer range shooting skills.

Certainly appreciate everyone's input, good or bad and I'll certainly report my initial 100 yard results when I get the rifle. Also gonna be another month or so before I get the optics, as I purchased through Scott @ Liberty and I believe the wait was 6 weeks for a smoking deal.

This is one of the issues with buying a rifle off the internet without finding a local store that has it in stock. If you want something to be perfect you should finger f*ck it in store in person then hand the owner the cash. It also helps the local economy.... If you buy it on the internet you have to live by the rule of "sometimes you eat the bear.... and sometimes that bitch eats you."

Reactions: ebnash
Some good points made here from several people and perhaps I jumped the gun (so to speak) and pre-judging the performance of the rifle. I will try multiple forms of factory ammo and this may also be the catalyst that finally gets me into hand loading, as well.

Didn't mean to come off as a whiner, just sharing my immediate response to what I saw vs. what I expected. I'm sure in the end, I will be satisfied with this rifle and the reason for purchase was to get something new as I am planning to attend a Leupold PSR-1 class next year and develop some longer range shooting skills.

Certainly appreciate everyone's input, good or bad and I'll certainly report my initial 100 yard results when I get the rifle. Also gonna be another month or so before I get the optics, as I purchased through Scott @ Liberty and I believe the wait was 6 weeks for a smoking deal.

No worries. That would be a near $3000 gun if you asked a smith to build it. If it doesn’t meet your expectations, call Bergara. They probably would even replace the gun bag. They can rebarrel it for less than a Smith and maintain the factory warranty.

I'm glad to see you back and assumed you weren't to thin skinned , you need tough hide to be on the Hide ?.
There's also the chance you were playing into it and once you shoot the rifle and show what its really capable of you can claim that it's all driver and no car ?

Reactions: Bender

Every rifle likes different ammo, but out of the factory loads I get the best results with the 130gr. Federal Gold Medal Match Berger OT with my 6.5 Creedmoor B-14 HMR just to give you an idea.

Just out of curiosity what ammo did they use for the test target ? I have a B14 hunter I got it when they first came out, no test target.I liked the action and the trigger was ok, stock was the grippy green hunter style . It is also chambered in 6.5 creedmoor. The first ammo I tried was Winchester140 match, then hornady 140 eldm, then hornady 143 eldx, and last but least 120 amax. I dont know why but the 120 amax shot 3 shot groups that were realy hard to believe from a factory rifle. I have since put a couple hundred rounds through that rifle and I am never less than impressed by that little rifle, The folks at Bergara were very good in customer service when they looked at my trigger to remove some creep.I would call them at either 877-892-7544 or 800-320-8767 explain the issues and I'll bet they get you taken care of, these issues are very minor.... (disclaimer I don't work for Bergara) but the company seemed very helpful when I used their customer service.my $.02 oh and the other ammo tested including 140 hornady american gunner all shot less than moa.

Just out of curiosity what ammo did they use for the test target ? I have a B14 hunter I got it when they first came out, no test target.I liked the action and the trigger was ok, stock was the grippy green hunter style . It is also chambered in 6.5 creedmoor. The first ammo I tried was Winchester140 match, then hornady 140 eldm, then hornady 143 eldx, and last but least 120 amax. I dont know why but the 120 amax shot 3 shot groups that were realy hard to believe from a factory rifle. I have since put a couple hundred rounds through that rifle and I am never less than impressed by that little rifle, The folks at Bergara were very good in customer service when they looked at my trigger to remove some creep.I would call them at either 877-892-7544 or 800-320-8767 explain the issues and I'll bet they get you taken care of, these issues are very minor.... (disclaimer I don't work for Bergara) but the company seemed very helpful when I used their customer service.my $.02 oh and the other ammo tested including 140 hornady american gunner all shot less than moa.

Back of the tag said 140g Hornady...I'm sure Bergara will take care of any issues I encounter. I already emailed them and they have offered to address any of my concerns

Last edited:
There you go when in doubt contact the manufacturer, hope all works out and dont forget to try the 120 eldms, 130 federals and the prime 6.5 , 120 amaxs are no longer made, its now the eldms.let us know how it shoots.

Reactions: SonicBurlap
Back of the tag said 140g Hornady...I'm sure Bergara will take care of any issues I encounter. I already emailed them and they have offered to address any of my concerns

Well.. its been over 10 days OP... have you shot it yet? I'm contemplating the same gun so a range report would be much appreciated!

Some interesting responses on here!
If I buy a new rifle, I expect it in new condition and if I accept it in less than that condition then it's on me.

It's a bit worrying that the bag was zip was messed up and the thread protector has a flat spot. That would suggest (as mentioned) terrible packing or transport service.

However, it should still shoot well with some quality ammo.

Reactions: rookie7
Sounds like you’re a bit unreasonable to me. You’re expecting custom grade fit and finish on your cheap factory rifle. That’s not how the world works buddy.

LOL I read the post and says to myself "That has got to be redneckbmxer" and low and behold it was. And I was going to tell the OP that if he was not happy he should have picked up a Tikka CTR.

Last edited:
Damn, over two weeks later and you’re still butthurt? I guess you haven’t dry cycled that turd enough to convince yourself that it’s the end all be all action.

Well.. its been over 10 days OP... have you shot it yet? I'm contemplating the same gun so a range report would be much appreciated!

I’m currently working on mounting the scope base, but the 1st one I received from Area 419 was not flat. They are overnighting a replacement today.

After that, I’ll still be waiting on my scope. I’ll rested through Liberty Optics here on the forum, but it was a 6 week wait.

Don't worry about the test shot card......

IMG_20181220_113627027.jpg

IMG_20181220_113610563.jpg

Any update OP? Trying to determine what I want to do for an entry NRL/PRS rifle. Debating doing a Tikka build and replacing stock with a chassis, buying a Howa barrel/action and doing the same or going with the Bergara and leaving it as is. Looking forward to your in depth review.

Any update OP? Trying to determine what I want to do for an entry NRL/PRS rifle. Debating doing a Tikka build and replacing stock with a chassis, buying a Howa barrel/action and doing the same or going with the Bergara and leaving it as is. Looking forward to your in depth review.
It shot great, or he would be back here to show us.

It’s a great gun. Buy with confidence.

Sorry, I thought I had responded to this. I still have not shot the rifle. Weather has been awful and there is snow in the mountains so I’ve been skiing every weekend. No plans anytime soon to get to this. i obviously got over my initial concerns, otherwise I wouln't have spent on a stock swap...

Last edited:
Damn, over two weeks later and you’re still butthurt? I guess you haven’t dry cycled that turd enough to convince yourself that it’s the end all be all action.

You could be gone from work and family for weeks and nobody would report you're missing.

Sorry, I thought I had responded to this. I still have not shot the rifle. Weather has been awful and there is snow in the mountains so I’ve been skiing every weekend. No plans anytime soon to get to this. i obviously got over my initial concerns, otherwise I wouln't have spent on a stock swap...

View attachment 7037478
Once you actually shoot it you might find out it shoots better with the actual factory stock with integral mini chassis. Mine does .3" to .7" groups depending on ammo. A friend who just had to have his in a KRG stock doesn't get near there.

Once you actually shoot it you might find out it shoots better with the actual factory stock with integral mini chassis. Mine does .3" to .7" groups depending on ammo. A friend who just had to have his in a KRG stock doesn't get near there.

Yes, I’m keeping the factory stock to test this. I had the same thing happen on a Savage 10FP that shot better in the cheap factory stock. The KRG does have a similar mini chassis concept.

If you go to the Bergara site you'll find this stock ain't cheap it will cost you $449.00 to replace it that's because of the welded in chassis the 4 flush cups that are anchored side to side in each other the sling studs, adjustable length of pull pads and the adjustable cheek riser hardware and DBM triggerguard. I tried my friend's KRG but the feel of the stock just wasn't right for me, especially the adjustable cheek riser part I didn't like. I guess cheap is in the eye of the beholder.

I said my 10FP had a cheap factory, not this one. The HMR stock is a quality piece. Admittedly, I prefer the look and feel of the KRG, but the factory stock is more refined. I will certainly end up using which ever performs best.

I was only agreeing that sometimes the factory configuration gives the best results.

Factory 140 bthp Hornady from my ridge...
Bergara makes great guns for the money. Don't let that test target determine your actions.

Attachments

• IMG_20190205_185806.jpg
    IMG_20190205_185806.jpg
    560.9 KB · Views: 30

Sulley I have been shooting my HMR Pro premier Bergara for a year now. It shoots .3 to .5 groups with Hornady match 140, American gunner 140 and Precision Hunter 143's. Very happy with the Bergara and like the action and trigger. Been using it in my local PRS matches every month. What really impresses me is the first shot on a cold clean bore groups with the other shots.

So, to start this story I’m in California so I showed up to my FFL to start DROS paperwork on my new HMR Pro in 6.5 Creedmoor. The gun was purchased over the phone because I don’t have a local dealer.

First, these rifles come with a nylon padded case inside the box which is a nice touch. The zipper was destroyed on the case. No big deal cause I really don’t care about a freebie case as it won’t be used.

Rifle comes out for my inspection and there is a flat shiny spot on the barrel cap. So either this happened at Bergara or in shipping. Either way, they shipped it this way, or their packing design is crap.

To top it off, I looked at the 100yd test group that comes with the rifle and it is quite unimpressive. It is sub MOA, but I certainly wouldn’t be proud to attach it to a rifle I was shipping out. My $400 Savage 10FP that I bought 15 years ago shoots better looking groups at 100 yards.

I have to say it was a very poor 1st impression of the company considering I purchased a one of their premier line rifles.

The last item is more of a personal preference, but the color of the stock on the pro version looks pretty cheap and they left mound release marks all over it. I’ll probably either try to paint it myself or have it cerakoted.

I have 10 days wait now for a rifle that I’m really not all that excited to take ownership of.
Sucky about the shiny spot. I bought the b14 HMR in 6.5CM. Only been able to take it to 200 so far, but its shooting 1/2" groups at 200 with Hornady 147 eldx. Give it a few range sessions and see how it shoots. Mines decent for a factory rifle.

On note of the target, targeting rifles for accuracy for a living looses its fun factor really quickly.

More than a few optometrists in both academic and clinical settings have very strong eyes, albeit with a horrible rx, so I never understood what people meant when they said their eyes were tired. However, looking though a scope for 5+ hours will wear you out very quickly. (Even more so if they had a new shooter.) From the videos as well, they are small enough that it looks like the targeting range isn't company owned. (A major sign would be using a van to get to their range.)

Definitely throw a few rounds of the ammo they used and see if you can do better. (Off of sandbags, free hold.) Bergara might not have the best test range at the moment, but they definitely have their barrels on point.

What’d you get it chambered in? I was planning .308 so I can put more rounds down range. Figure if I can reach steel at 1k yards with a .308 it’ll just make it easier when I eventually upgrade to a 6.5 or 6.

Factory 140 bthp Hornady from my ridge...
Bergara makes great guns for the money. Don't let that test target determine your actions.

What’d you get it chambered in? I was planning .308 so I can put more rounds down range. Figure if I can reach steel at 1k yards with a .308 it’ll just make it easier when I eventually upgrade to a 6.5 or 6.

6.5 Creed. I actually bought it mainly to let my kids use for deer and elk hunting. With the suppressor it's a joy to shoot.

Was doing some ladders with 3rd groups yesterday. Fed 210, Hornady brass, 147 eld-m, 40grns of h4350. S.d. of 10 at 2590 avg.
I'll load up 20 of these for some 10 Rd groups next weekend and make sure this wasn't a fluke.

Attachments

• target_image.jpg
    target_image.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 72
Reactions: SlimySquirrel
6.5 Creed. I actually bought it mainly to let my kids use for deer and elk hunting. With the suppressor it's a joy to shoot.

Was doing some ladders with 3rd groups yesterday. Fed 210, Hornady brass, 147 eld-m, 40grns of h4350. S.d. of 10 at 2590 avg.
I'll load up 20 of these for some 10 Rd groups next weekend and make sure this wasn't a fluke.

Hot damn that’s a beautiful grouping for 200 yards. Definitely keep me updated after your range visit.

I have a Premier Ridgeback in 6.5 PRC ,at first action was stiff With both factory and Hand loads it was just barley shooting 1/2 MOA ,now after several hundred rounds and learning the rifle,its sweet . Trigger Tech trigger a big plus . The stock is good ,but not a Manners or Macmillan.