• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New hog rifle

McKinneyMike

Sergeant
Minuteman
I wanted a inexpensive rifle that still shoots really well to take varmint hunting, i.e. feral and wild hogs.
Bought a Stevens 200 LA rifle, then sold the barrel and the tupperware stock that came with the rifle.

Added a 25-06, 26" Shilen Select match varmint barrel, pre-fit for the Savage, added a Center Shot Rifle's Muscle brake, Sharp Shooter Supply recoil lug, Sharp Shooter Supply Competition trigger, set at 1 1/2 lbs, Sharp Shooter Supply bolt handle, a lightly used Choate Ultra Varmint stock and a Nikon Monarch, which I already owned.

Skimmed bedded the action into the stock with Devcon. I think it will do its purpose quite well for just under a $1000.00, less scope (which I already had).

rifle1.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-size: 14pt">Center Shot Rifles Muscle Brake</span></span>

rifle2.jpg

rifle4.jpg

rifle5.jpg

Re: New hog rifle

Thanks. Many don't like the Choate stocks, but I have big hands and the grip feels good to me. For the price it was a no-brainer for this rifle too. If it shoots really good to 400 yds, I am more than satisfied for the intended purposes. I was thinking of selling the scope and using a Vortex Viper PST, but I already had this one so I why not use it. Besides the new Viper PST's will not be available for at least another month.

Yeah, the reason I got the monarch was because I read it was pretty decent for the price. Plus, I was new to riflescopes then. Maybe later I'll upgrade it.

Damn, I need to get into cheaper hobbies!!

I got to take it out yesterday evening for a quick 5 shot test. I wanted to see how it felt and see how the barrel fouled. I can say that there is absolutely no blast back toward me at all and the brake is very effective. I think my new rifle will also be wearing one of these Muscle Brakes too
smile.gif

Here is good video on the Center Shot Rifles "Muscle Brake":
Muscle Brake in action

The Nikon Monarch's have great glass for the money. Limited travel is their biggest negative. Certainly not tactical scopes, but very good for hunting rifles.
I have really taken a liking to the Vortex Viper series and hope that the new Viper PST scopes are as good as suggested. The reticle choices for them looks to be very nice given their pricing too. I guess we should start seeing some feedback sometime next month, once they are hopefully finally available to the masses.