• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Hornady 109gr 6mm ELD-M

How much jump?
20220419_201306.jpg
a little test I did a couple weeks ago.

**update** I have since learned I was having issues with a carbon ring during this test so don't let my picture above scare you away from this bullet... it took me a while to figure that out and correct the problem. Solution, buy a bore scope and clean that transition area down to steel with a brush between the end of the cartridge neck cut out in the chamber and where lands ramp up into full rifling.

Because I use a relatively light powder charge I wasn't seeing the pressure signs some people do... I kept having fliers at distance that I knew where not caused by me,,, I ended up tracking it down to velocity spikes around 30fps, or so, every few rounds once I started monitoring every shot with my magnetospeed. I'll be retesting this bullet in a month or so once I get through the next couple matches with my Berger's

Last edited:
Reactions: Fireman JB
That looks ultra picky......I know a lot of guys ran the atips back around 65-80k off and found bigger seating depth nodes. What you're seeing there reminds me of Berger vld temperament.
Keep in mind this was done for seating depth only and the powder charge may not be in a node currently.

Reactions: 4O6shootist
Midway had these listed as in stock very briefly yesterday, so it looks like these are not exclusive to GAP. But GAP’s price is better.

Reactions: DIBBS
I shot some the 109 eldm yesterday over varget in my 6bra. Its a 28" hawkhill w/ 280 rounds down the tube. POI was 4moa right of 105 hybrids. I was pretty surprised by the major horizontal shift, was totally off my paper at 300y, as it was impacting 12" right of the Bergers
109 eldm @ 1.700 - 30k varget cci 450
30.0 2816
30.2 2846
30.4 2859
30.6 2885
30.8 2891
31.0 2904
31.2 2924

30.7gr might be a good place to tune them in at.

Reactions: Changed
It depends on how you calculate the BC. Over what range and by what metric. 100-200yd high velocity published BC's is nothing new.

If you go 0-1200 the BC that matches my real world/doppler results (MV 2750fps) for retained velocity is ~.265 G7. For drop at 1200 it's about .280. For 600yd velocity it's ~.280, and for 600yd drop it's .295. To match 200yd velocity it's about .285.

Which kinda serves to show the subtle issues with BC-based solvers. You're making the assumption that the drag profile of the bullet you're using matches up with the G7 standard projectile and most of the time it doesn't. If I were shooting a 6mm Creedmoor my BC numbers would be different from the above. Using a simple fixed scaling factor like BC is like using a single photograph/frame to represent a video. Sometimes it works well, sometimes it doesn't.

At any rate, if you use 4DoF, you can use the 109 profile as-is (I believe it's on the mobile app), or use a 110 with an axial form factor of 1.05 or 1.06 and it will line up with velocity and elevation all the way out.

I've been shooting the 109's for about a year now. "Almost a 110" is how I'd describe them. A little more drag; not quite interchangeable with 110's, but you don't see the differences until you're poking out there a ways (over 600-700yd). Certainly going to be a solid 'bang for the buck' performer.
LedZep,
Are you shooting them at MV of 2750 out of your 6 ARC? If so, have you also shot the 109 Bergers and how do they compare?

Yes, 2750-2760 out of the 28" ARC with 28gr Varget. No experience with the Berger 109s. I briefly played with the 105 Hybrids in this barrel but it seems to like the ELD's and A-tips well enough and I've got a stash of them so that's what I shoot. In general my experience is that Berger, Sierra, Hornady, etc.. all make good bullets and with good barrels they all shoot more than good enough for the games I play.

Reactions: LRBuck
Updated my earlier post and problems I was having but hadn't realized yet.

View attachment 7863345a little test I did a couple weeks ago.

**update** I have since learned I was having issues with a carbon ring during this test so don't let my picture above scare you away from this bullet... it took me a while to figure that out and correct the problem. Solution, buy a bore scope and clean that transition area down to steel with a brush between the end of the cartridge neck cut out in the chamber and where lands ramp up into full rifling.

Because I use a relatively light powder charge I wasn't seeing the pressure signs some people do... I kept having fliers at distance that I knew where not caused by me,,, I ended up tracking it down to velocity spikes around 30fps, or so, every few rounds once I started monitoring every shot with my magnetospeed. I'll be retesting this bullet in a month or so once I get through the next couple matches with my Berger 109's

So I received a question from a podcast listener asking about the 109s. Apparently, one or more of his buddies are having great accuracy results at 100 but accuracy falls apart at 800+. Idk about the quality of their loading but has anyone else seen similar issues?

So I received a question from a podcast listener asking about the 109s. Apparently, one or more of his buddies are having great accuracy results at 100 but accuracy falls apart at 800+. Idk about the quality of their loading but has anyone else seen similar issues?
I had same issue and noticed the stability factor was barely at stable. I am running a 7.7 twist. Went to the 107 SMK, no issues. The ELD 109s are longer than the LRHT 109s so I think they need a faster twist. GA Precision says min is 7.5 but I would go 7 if was to run them.

I haven't used them extensively at 1000yds, because at that range the BC difference for the At-Tips is significant, but when I was testing them they shot just fine at 1k. But I have a 1:7.25 twist barrel.

I’ve been shooting them for a while now and have mostly confirmed what I thought before. Up to 600 yards, they shoot pretty much the same as the A-TIPS. At around 600, the BC difference starts to show, and the A-Tips pull ahead. So I’ve been using the ATips for long range matches (out to 1000yds), and the 109s for our local steel matches where the max range is 550 yds. I haven’t had any problems with them. If you want a cheap alternative to ATIps, they are ok. If I was using the Berger 109s, I doubt I would see much reason to switch to the Hornadys unless I got a great deal on them.

Reactions: DIBBS
View attachment 7863345a little test I did a couple weeks ago.

Because I use a relatively light powder charge I wasn't seeing the pressure signs some people do... I kept having fliers at distance that I knew where not caused by me,,, I ended up tracking it down to velocity spikes around 30fps, or so, every few rounds once I started monitoring every shot with my magnetospeed. I'll be retesting this bullet in a month or so once I get through the next couple matches with my Berger's
Did you ever get a chance to update this once you discovered your carbon ring issue?

I had same issue and noticed the stability factor was barely at stable. I am running a 7.7 twist. Went to the 107 SMK, no issues. The ELD 109s are longer than the LRHT 109s so I think they need a faster twist. GA Precision says min is 7.5 but I would go 7 if was to run them.

I’ve been shooting them for a while now and have mostly confirmed what I thought before. Up to 600 yards, they shoot pretty much the same as the A-TIPS. At around 600, the BC difference starts to show, and the A-Tips pull ahead. So I’ve been using the ATips for long range matches (out to 1000yds), and the 109s for our local steel matches where the max range is 550 yds. I haven’t had any problems with them. If you want a cheap alternative to ATIps, they are ok. If I was using the Berger 109s, I doubt I would see much reason to switch to the Hornadys unless I got a great deal on them.
Is this the consensus now? Unstable at 600 plus yards?

I have a 7.5 barrel, and I am trying to select a bullet to start loading. I was also thinking about starting out with commercially loaded cartridges and then reusing the brass. It looks like the ELD Match 109 are the only commercially loaded cartridges available in 6mm GT.

Is anyone shooting coyotes or deer with these? How has the expansion been?

Is this the consensus now? Unstable at 600 plus yards?

I have a 7.5 barrel, and I am trying to select a bullet to start loading. I was also thinking about starting out with commercially loaded cartridges and then reusing the brass. It looks like the ELD Match 109 are the only commercially loaded cartridges available in 6mm GT.

Since you quoted my post, I’ll reply. I had no stability issues with the 109ELD at 600-1000yds. But I use the A-Tips after 600 yards because they have better BC. The 109ELDs shoot fine for me out to 1000yds, but the ATips shoot better. Again, this is in a 1:7.25 twist barrel, and it is a 6 Creedmoor, so the velocities are a bit higher than you will get with a 6GT.

Thought I would revisit this thread, anyone had any luck with these? I just got 100 to test out.

I have 500 to test but will have to wait for barrel swap. They do not shoot good in the 7.7 twist. I got my next 4 barrels done at 7.5 twist.

Anyone have an idea of when these will be available again or have some they'd like to sell?
I checked with GA precision a month or so ago. They said they would be back sometime in 2024. I asked if it was the beginning or the end of 2024. Sometime in 2024 was the response.

Ended up buying bergers for next season.

Reactions: wind gypsy
Anybody shoot the 109 ELDM 6GT boxed ammo in a 1:7 barrel? I have my eye on an osprey prefit and they talk about all 6mm barrels coming in 1:7 twist. Thanks!

Anybody shoot the 109 ELDM 6GT boxed ammo in a 1:7 barrel? I have my eye on an osprey prefit and they talk about all 6mm barrels coming in 1:7 twist. Thanks!
I’ve shot about 600 loaded in 6GT out of a 1:7.5, have cleaned IPSC targets out to 1200. Factory stuff is hottish/fast, about the same as my loads at 2900 out of a 26”.

Reactions: John Glidewell