• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Hornady 178 BTHP

223ai

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 28, 2006
Texas
All -

I am in need of .30 cal bullets, and Graf's has the new 178 BTHP from Hornady, with an advertised G1 of .530, in stock. I cannot find many results via the search engine on this bullet. Has anyone done any load development with this bullet?

Thanks in advance.

Josh

Re: New Hornady 178 BTHP

too new---lead, don't follow!!!
smile.gif

I'll end up buying these, I just wish that Powder Valley had them in stock!

They were just released in component form so I would guess to start with any other 178 loadings low and work up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JPipes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All -

I am in need of .30 cal bullets, and Graf's has the new 178 BTHP from Hornady, with an advertised G1 of .530, in stock. I cannot find many results via the search engine on this bullet. Has anyone done any load development with this bullet?

Thanks in advance.

Josh </div></div>

Just start with any data you might have for the 178gr AMAX or the 180gr SMKs and/or 185gr Scenars.

I like 42.0grs of VV-150 for the 185s.

Chris

Thanks. I was hoping to see how they are performing, more than anything.

Graf's has them in stock.

I have some and have been trying them in my AE, .308, 20", 1/12 twist, suppressed.

So far they have been OK. Not as awesome as I hoped. I was hoping they would be as good as the Bergers as I have sent down range. I have been about 3/4 moa at 300 with the Hornady's, 1/3 moa with the Bergers. Everything else in my AE has been more accurate than the 178 BTHP so far, to include the 178 amax, 175 Nos CC, 155 VLD, 168 VLD, 168 Amax, 155 Nos CC.

I am sure that they are great bullets. Just need to work out the magic combo with it. I can't help but notice they have a really long bearing surface. My AE might not like them for all I know.

Do back down slightly from a typical 175 load. I had definite pressure signs on my first load.

I am still tinkering...

Good data, thank you. I'll buy SMK 2156's until there are some more real world results.

My gap loved the 178 superformance match. Im working up loads right now. I have different loads of varget, n550, rl 15 and 17, that Im going to chrono this week. I will post the results. Im using lapua palma brass.

Good day,

Anyone have the results from ogive measurements or BOL measurements?

Thanks,
DocB

I shot these and they buck the wind better than my usual Lapua Scenars, they aren't as accurate (for me), and I need more elevation dialed in. I shot them at max load which was 45 grains of Varget.

Hoping the price comes down after the new-ness wears off, 5.00+ over A-max depending where you shop... why?

Have you shot the a-max 178's, and how do they work?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mohawk3A</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have you shot the a-max 178's, and how do they work? </div></div>

They are my favorite. Some people don't like the plastic tips (I have heard that they can break off) but I haven't had that problem. If you're looking for a 175ish weight 30 cal bullet the 178 amax is as good as any other.

Pulled 5 Superformance loaded round's bullets and threw in 44grns of Varget just to see how the bullets would do with Varget. Shot one on a target at 100 to check zero and then shot these 4. I think the new 178 BTHP bullets are going to work just fine
wink.gif

PC220045.jpg

Good shooting, now tell Hornady to deliver as many as possible to Powder Valley!

I loaded some of these up a few weeks ago with varget. Found 44.0 gr to work the best out of my sps-t. The a-max 178s out of the same gun like 44.6 gr of varget.