• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

New Hornady A-Tip Bullets

I can see a place for them, but Im hesitant on what they’ll cost. Might be something for the ELR crowd.
Neat to see Hornady advancing though

I can see a place for them, but Im hesitant on what they’ll cost. Might be something for the ELR crowd.
Neat to see Hornady advancing though

My thoughts as well, i think it will be geared for the ELR crowd i'm expecting a cost increase just don't know if it will be that drastic but it could offset it enough that shooting them in bulk over the current offerings wouldn't be worth it. Especially considering the range of PRS matches, at least down here in the southeast.

My thoughts as well, i think it will be geared for the ELR crowd i'm expecting a cost increase just don't know if it will be that drastic but it could offset it enough that shooting them in bulk over the current offerings wouldn't be worth it. Especially considering the range of PRS matches, at least down here in the southeast.

I have a personal goal of running my 6.5CR and 300WM to a mile this summer and will probably use these. That said, for 1200-1300y and in which is the extent of most PRS matches, the 140gr ELD still works well.

Reactions: 5RWill
I was thinking it was a late april 1st but looks legit! Holy shit a 153gr .264, that'll do the trick! Looks like the 250gr .308 is .85 cents. Thats probably not to bad?

Reactions: Ledzep

Pricing Isn’t horrible, but I’m probably going to stick with my eld’s unless I just have to have that extra little bit. Or the Hornady crown royal bag?

Instead of having employees yammer on about how the bullets "scream performance" and Just "scream sexy" They should have said which calibers can be run from standard mags when loaded to their spec.
Standard magazine lengths out of the Creedmoors and PRC's.

Instead of having employees yammer on about how the bullets "scream performance" and Just "scream sexy" They should have said which calibers can be run from standard mags when loaded to their spec.
In one of the videos it says that they were designed to fit into mags.

The 17 Min vid Midwest posted is what you want to watch. Doesn't just have bolded talking points they talk about how it's different. I'll be honest the 300PRC and 250gr A-Tip... is making 30 Cal look a whole lot more viable than 338 lapua for an ELR rig. Granted i don't shoot ELR i've just always had a build in the back of mind with a large magnum that wasn't 338. Enter the PRC paired with the A-tips. Seems like a pretty solid combo.

Reactions: 260284
The sequential packaging is interesting, but
1) how much of a difference does that make, for example compared to either random selection off the line, or "same lot" ?
2) are all of the components also sequentially manufactured, or is just the final assembly?

It makes sense that the aluminum is more precisely formed (machined) than polymer.
But are they implying they found significant defects and/or drag variance with e.g. ELD-M tips?

Anyway, we are truly living in a Golden Age of design and manufacturing. Keep it up!

And, "thanks in advance", I'll be interested to hear what y'all are saying about the A-tip a year from now.

Last edited:
6mm 115 DTAC has some competition

6.5 135gr going 3000fps at a .637 g1 is going really something.. Getting Solids performance with out the terrible frag signature!
Screen Shot 2019-04-24 at 3.39.38 PM.png

Reactions: TCG76
I made up some custom titanium tips when I suspected these were coming out. I'm just going to unscrew the aluminum and replace. Bout time.

Reactions: Tchitcherine
But are they implying they found significant defects and/or drag variance with e.g. ELD-M tips?

I don't think so, i think they're implying to lengthen like they wanted to and make more efficient tip design polymer wasn't the way to go. The 17 minute video talks about the lengths of the tips. Polymers are a wonderful material but they pose some interesting design constraints sometimes. Shrinkage, expansion, leakage, elastic modulus, and strain rate have to be taken into account especially when lengthening them. I'm sure aluminum proposes it's fair share of challenges as well but you can turn aluminum without issue trying to do that with a polymer or polymer based ceramic would be pretty difficult if i had to guess.

As i said before this is going to be more of an ELR thing, i cant see high volume shooters in PRS jumping on a bullet nearly double the price of their ELDs that offers little performance gains inside the ranges PRS is accustomed to.

6mm 115 DTAC has some competition

6.5 135gr going 3000fps at a .637 g1 is going really something.. Getting Solids performance with out the terrible frag signature!

My only thought with that is currently the 131gr 25 cal ACE can be pushed at that out of a 25 creedmoor and nearly that out of a 25x47L and is rocking a .330-340 G7 sure it's not massed produced, as consistent bullet to bullet, and probably more finicky to load for. But it's considerably cheaper per shot. With Coldboremiracle now showing alpha 25CM brass it could be here to stay (least i hope it is).

Last edited:
I’m waiting for more folks to jump on the25 wagon. Hopefully the 25 creed takes off a bit more, I’d love to have one. May be my next barrel

Reactions: lawofsavage
I want more people in the 25 game also. Would be nice to have a better bullet selection for my 250AI. :)

For that price, they better shoot good, cause can't afford to miss. I don't know about having to wipe off the grease with a crown royal bag either.

Reactions: VSP968
Why didn't they just improve consistency with their ELDs?

Because improving the consistency on the eld isn't cost effective for minimal gain. A lot was put into the design of these bullets and while they may cost a little more due materials and the manufacturing process, I believe they are a game changer.

Now if Hornady only made match quality brass in the Lapua mold to go with it...

160-175 7mm would be nice :)
I'm on the waiting list for Alco 168's for my 7RemMag... My 1:9.5 twist Tikka probably won't stabilize the heavier ones they have.

EDIT

Just checked ALCO's website.... Amazing to see for months their 7mm projo's were always in Stock.... Since the introduction of these A-Tips, Alco is now sold out!!

Peripheral effects of capitalism on the "competition" :)

Reactions: lawofsavage
I'm on the waiting list for Alco 168's for my 7RemMag... My 1:9.5 twist Tikka probably won't stabilize the heavier ones they have.

EDIT

Just checked ALCO's website.... Amazing to see for months their 7mm projo's were always in Stock.... Since the introduction of these A-Tips, Alco is now sold out!!

Peripheral effects of capitalism on the "competition" :)
How good is the 168 for hunting?

How good is the 168 for hunting?
I wouldn't be use it for hunting. My use would be for dedicated 1000+ yard steel plates.

I have no idea what the expansion properties are for game. Obviously more velocity at distance directly translates to better energy retention.

Reactions: bjay
At near $1 apiece, these aren't even remotely interesting to me. They'd have to be in the 50-cent range to be worth consideration. The 140 ELD-M is more than adequate for my needs.