• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Hornady A-Tip Bullets

I received some of the 153 and 135 A Tips in 6.5. Here is a pic of the 135 next to a 140 ELD-M. You can see there are some differences int he shape and the length of the bearing surface as well. Mine came direct from the show I believe. They did not come in the new packaging. They were shipped loose in plastic bags.

I have some measurements for you guys also. I just got them yesterday and haven't had a chance to load or shoot them yet. Work is getting in the way of that right now. Hopefully these work well. I measured about 25 of each and they were all exactly the same in the measurements below. I saw maybe .0005" variance but that could be me. All measured with a calibrated Fowler digital caliper.

Base to Ogive using a Hornady Comparator
Length

Base To Ogive
Length

Sorry for the blurry pic. Here is the 153 next to a 135

I received some of the 153 and 135 A Tips in 6.5. Here is a pic of the 135 next to a 140 ELD-M. You can see there are some differences int he shape and the length of the bearing surface as well. Mine came direct from the show I believe. They did not come in the new packaging. They were shipped loose in plastic bags.

I have some measurements for you guys also. I just got them yesterday and haven't had a chance to load or shoot them yet. Work is getting in the way of that right now. Hopefully these work well. I measured about 25 of each and they were all exactly the same in the measurements below. I saw maybe .0005" variance but that could be me. All measured with a calibrated Fowler digital caliper.

Length

Base To Ogive
Length

How do those measurements compare the the 140 ELD in the photo?

How do those measurements compare the the 140 ELD in the photo?

My ELD-M 140's are 1.374" total length and base to Ogive is 0.764".
ELD-M 147's are 1.44" total length and base to Ogive is 0.796".
ELD-M 123's are 1.236" total length and base to Ogive is 0.664".

With my calipers and Harnady comparator:

140 ELD-M
Base to Ogive .768"
Length 1.375"

I could not find my 147 ELD-M to check the lengths on. I moved recently and my shit is piled up in the garage with some stuff scattered. Once I find them I will add the numbers I have so there is consistency.

So these are marketed toward the ELR crowd right? Many in ELR are using solids, so the A-TIPS would be cheaper than the solids right? So while these might be more expensive than what existing Hornady users are used to paying, they are still cheaper than the solid competition which Hornady is hoping to compete with. Are they just saying the A-TIP has a higher BC and therefore will be better for long range vs the ELD-M?

Im trying the 230's and really forward to seeing if it can improve .5 Moa guns with ELD's. Also, seeing if it changes DOPE. Im going to play with 300WM and 6.5 CM.

I haven't seen much difference in my DOPE at 1,300 with my old 208 AMAX vs 225 ELD's. Which puzzles me a bit.

I don't mind paying for these bullets if they are better. Its not like I shoot 100 rounds of 300 when we go out. All the shit we blow money on, I'm not stopping at better bullets. YMMV

We get 2800+ fps with 225 ELD's, what kind of velocity do you guys forecast with 250's?

PB

View attachment 7070301

Length

Base To Ogive
Length

View attachment 7070302

Nice I wonder if the 153 grain will stabilize out of a 1 in 8 twist?

At near $1 apiece, these aren't even remotely interesting to me. They'd have to be in the 50-cent range to be worth consideration. The 140 ELD-M is more than adequate for my needs.
I need them for free for me to consider, even then I'd probably walk.
First the amax tips melt, then the eld m's come apart, now we need to jam some machined aluminum into the same amp jacket. Just make a solid BTHP like the rest of the world and call it a fucking day.

Reactions: Rutter
I need them for free for me to consider, even then I'd probably walk.
First the amax tips melt, then the eld m's come apart, now we need to jam some machined aluminum into the same amp jacket. Just make a solid BTHP like the rest of the world and call it a fucking day.
I was unaware of the issues with the ELD-M. I've never had a problem.

I was unaware of the issues with the ELD-M. I've never had a problem.
There has been a stink in diff circles about it happening, could be the bullet, could be operator loadings. My post was just a general smart ass comment. I'll pay .75 for a 338 bullet, not for an unproven 6mm bullet.

Reactions: patriot07
Nice I wonder if the 153 grain will stabilize out of a 1 in 8 twist?

I'll post a report here once I have time to load and test them. Work has been in the way of my range time and load development. My rifle has a 1:8 twist. I think it will be ok and I won't be trying to push them at the speed of light. They were free so I am not partial to them yet. I like the 140 ELDM so far and haven't had any issues. They might be fun for use at longer ranges (1400 yards+) that I get to shoot at from time to time.

Reactions: Davo308
Any reports of stability issues in 1:10 twist 300wm for the 230 a tips?

Based on your measurements for the 135 gr A-tips to work in my Tikka's magazine (2.92" COAL) I'd need to load that round 0.07" or more off the lands. Ouch.
They are surprisingly accurate even with that amount of jump. I've got the same issue in MDT mags.

In 6mm and 6.5mm these bullets to seem to have a very marginal ballistic advantage over the Berger Hybrids, at almost twice the price. I don't see any reason to try these out.

They seem a little more appetizing in the 230 grain 30 cal for something like a .300NM, but at those prices I would probably go to straight solids for a slight price differential and get even more BC/ballistic potential.

Reactions: BCX and B4Maz
We are shooting 25 of these 230 grain bad Boyz tomorrow. Loaded with 74.4 of H1k. Hoping for the best, time will tell. Once we get our load down, these will be be for 1,000 and plus yards.

PB

Has anyone tried A-Tip bullets with Tubbs HbN treatment. I treat my 225 ELD-M bullets, but it almost seems wrong to do it with the A-Tips. I probably would speed load development however. Thanks

Mike