• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Hunting Camo

KYAggie

Private
Minuteman
  • Oct 2, 2014
    Kentucky
    I’m in market for some new camo pants and shirt or jacket. I bought my last hunting camo gear around 1995 and it’s time to update it. Back then, Cabelas was a good source. Now, I’m not sure. I’m going to the Texas hill county in October to free range hunt Scimitar Oryx. Temps should be somewhere between 50-70’s. Looking for uninsulated pants, a long sleeve, but light weight shirt, and a light jacket. I want quiet stuff and possibly scent blocking to some degree.

Any ideas other than Cabela’s, or is that the best place?

I wear the Kuiu tiburan pants with the peleton 118 LS and SS for early sept hunts. Not a fan of merino wool, but Kuiu's gear is top notch and if you wait you can always find a deal, I don't think I've ever paid the full price. Plus they do a 10% military if that factors in for you.

Reactions: Modoc and KYAggie
    I’m in market for some new camo pants and shirt or jacket. I bought my last hunting camo gear around 1995 and it’s time to update it. Back then, Cabelas was a good source. Now, I’m not sure. I’m going to the Texas hill county in October to free range hunt Scimitar Oryx. Temps should be somewhere between 50-70’s. Looking for uninsulated pants, a long sleeve, but light weight shirt, and a light jacket. I want quiet stuff and possibly scent blocking to some degree.

direct from any of the big names.
    first lite
    sitka
    kuiu
    badlands
    drake
    kings

I’ll take a look at them all. I would personally love to bypass Cabelas.

Hunting pants have come a long way since 95!

I will throw in the Stone Glacier pants for good measure. They make a lightweight variety with a full zip on the side to get a little airflow.

Reactions: KYAggie

First Lite on sale right now

I just grabbed a set of surplus AOR2 gear off ebay. Goretex jackets, softshell and regular pants are all available for very low prices and the camo performs great in scrub/brush/woods/forest. I like my Firstlite gear, but its expensive. Lightweight wool shirts are nice for day hunting, but don't stand up well to abuse. Prana Zion pants are great hunting pants in solid colors.

What kind of hunting? To be honest, much of the hunting done in the hill country is from a box blind. Or from a pickup. Yes, shooting non migratory game, on private property, from a motor vehicle is legal on Texas. Camo clothing is as much a fashion statement as anything.

When I was a kid, we hunted the hill country and my dad typically wore blue jeans, cowboy boots, and a monogrammed dress shirt. The deer never seemed to care…

When I was a kid, we hunted the hill country and my dad typically wore blue jeans, cowboy boots, and a monogrammed dress shirt. The deer never seemed to care…

Probably because he looked just like any other rancher they saw from day to day. I grew up hunting 30 miles south of Sheffield, TX on a 9500 acre lease. It was the same way, especially if we were out for does. Most productive method was driving around in a truck with a stand in it. This Oryx hunt is suppose to be spot and stalk; stand hunting exotics is not really hunting to me although I agree, it’s the predominant method in Texas.

Kuiu & first lite are the big ones
    Stone glacier seems to be up there with them but haven’t used their gear yet
    There’s a lot of good options
    I waited for a good sale on kuiu or first lite and ended up with a new first lite setup

@KYAggie

Check out Forloh.
    100% US made.

Got pants and a softshell jacket last year and am very happy.

Have used First Lite, Sitka, and KUIU a lot too, as well as several of the major outdoor brands (arcteryx, patagonia, marmot, OR, north face)
    The Forloh pants have features I like a lot, though will say an extra knee pad pocket inside in case I wanted them would be nice.

Wool is your friend warm temps, keeps stink to a minimum vs synthetic.
    I stick with Voormi mostly for this (US made and higher wool content than Duck Worth shirts) and am occasionally driven by great bargains on other brands.
    Old Pendleton wool flannel over merino is awesome as well!
    Price for a light wool hoodie (think sun and fishing weight) is $20 over KUIU made in some foreign land.

No fan of Smartwool, and their socks are on good sale on Sierra Trading Post ($13/pair) now.
    Look at Point6, Farm to Feet, or Darn Tough for US made merino wool socks.

My point on wool base layers.
    Recently spent 8 days in AK fishing and working around my friend’s cabin and property.
    Wore a wool tshirt and Voormie Hoodie as needed for cool temps (40’s in the early AM fishing). 70’s and sweating a lot in my tshirt with a lot of activity from 9-6 every day.
    Shirt had no BO odor on day 8.
    Seriously only took 1 other tshirt (also wool) and a wool flannel for that trip.
    Well, and rain gear. 🤣

Saves me a lot of space packing for trips.
    Dries quick over a line or branch if needed and is warm if damp.

My $0.02 and worth what ya paid for it.

Been pretty happy with the Kryptek Highlander stuff. Got a variety of gear due to the temp swings between bow opener and end of rifle season here in far northern komifornia.
    Blends pretty well in the semi arid alpine here. Holds up well also. Thick brush and sharp rock.