• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes New Hunting Scope recommendations

asumnerdawg

Private
Minuteman
Oct 18, 2020
Hello all. First post so forgive any mistakes. I’m a deer hunter and have little need for a range/tactical scope. What I am looking for is the best package possible under $1000 with the following:

Greatest possible glass for the money (HD/ED/fully multi coated)

Low light performance is crucial

Extras that I would prefer:

Great warranty

Proven

Here is my setup: Tikka T3 7-08 with current scope Zeiss Terra (first gen) 3-9x42 and 99% of shots under 350 yards. I’m not comfortable shooting further than that and making a humane shot

The older Trijicon Accupoints are awesome hunters, if you can find a 3-9 or 2.5-10, it'll serve you very well at low light hunting.

The Vortex Razor HD LHT is claimed to be quite nice, but I haven't used it (yet) so cannot recommend, but many other do.

Those 2 are illuminated; another option is a Swaro Z3, which has great glass, but no illumination in that price range.

I own a few of the Trijicons and Swaros, but my next will be the Vortex.

The older Trijicon Accupoints are awesome hunters, if you can find a 3-9 or 2.5-10, it'll serve you very well at low light hunting.

The Vortex Razor HD LHT is claimed to be quite nice, but I haven't used it (yet) so cannot recommend, but many other do.

Those 2 are illuminated; another option is a Swaro Z3, which has great glass, but no illumination in that price range.

I own a few of the Trijicons and Swaros, but my next will be the Vortex.
Thank you sir! I have looked into both the Vortex and Swaro Z3. Really intrigued by Vortex. I can get a Meopta Optika6 for a song but not sure they’re on par with the Vortex LHT or Z3.

I'm not either, but I hear good things about them. If it is a good deal from a reputable source, that would be a very good option - at least to start.

I caught a screaming deal on a Z5i 2.4-12x50 BT 4w-i for a couple hundred over your budget to go on my Fix Q 6.5c. Keep an eye out or if in a crunch just go with the LHT it's super nice at that price point.

I planned on putting a 42mm Razor HD LHT on my Tikka but went with the 50mm due to the crazy good price on eurooptic. I have only had it for a few weeks and have only shot a few times at the range but I like the scope so far. I have looked through it at dawn and dusk and the clarity and light transmission both look good. The illumination really is a game changer, coming from someone who’s never used that before. I wasn’t even going to put the battery in but decided to check it out and it really will be useful during lower light situations. No negatives so far but again I only have limited time with it.

Leupold Vx5hd with firedot reticle would be my choice for a dedicated hunting scope.
If you hunt up close a lot go the 2-10, otherwise the 3-15 would be my choice.

The firedot reticle is excellent for quick, close range shooting.

Glass on the LHT is great but the turrets suck!!! Mushy and soft. I’d find something used.

Glass on the LHT is great but the turrets suck!!! Mushy and soft. I’d find something used.

My windage is mushy, which was frustrating but I don’t have any intention of dialing it so it doesn’t bother me too much. My elevation I feel is perfect for the scope. The clicks feel very solid but not as loud as some other scopes, which seems like a positive for hunting. Is that different than your experience?

I’ve only handled several specimens in the store. Everyone has had subpar turrets to me.

For another option to add to the pile, I saw that Euro optic has the Schmidt Bender Klassic line on a nice sale right now; the 3-12x42 would be stellar for $999 if you ever wanted to get into Schmidt glass for sub $1k...

Reactions: toader
Thanks for all of the replies! Great information! How would everyone compare the following in terms of glass quality and low light performance (if magnification/exit pupil were identical)?

Vortex LHT
Meopta Optika6
Leupold vx5 hd
Sub $1k Schmidt & Bender
Swaro z3

Reactions: Paralax
It's hard to beat Swaro glass, especially in the stuff they have been making for decades.

And I don't buy Leupold products, I've seen too many failures to trust them, especially in a scenario where something living is getting shot.

Given your stated objectives, I would not write off the 2.5-10 Accupoint, it is a stellar low light scope with no batteries to fail.

Bushnell LRHS/LRTS in 3-12 or 4.5-18.

Good Glass
Great Reticle
FFP,
Lightweight/compact.
Proven
Illumination
Good Zero Stop System

I can't think of a better hunting scope until you are ready to head north of $1500. The can be found used for $600-800 all day.

LRHS/LRTS is a solid choice. Depending on the FOV you are looking for. For coyotes I like 50+ ft on the low end. Just IMO. Sometimes my 2.5-10 monarch leaves me wanting some more FOV. Sometimes my 2-10 weaver makes me wish it was lighter. I have been looking hard at the 2-10x40 Razor.

Reactions: browning442
Bushnell LRHS/LRTS in 3-12 or 4.5-18.

Good Glass
Great Reticle
FFP,
Lightweight/compact.
Proven
Illumination
Good Zero Stop System

I can't think of a better hunting scope until you are ready to head north of $1500. The can be found used for $600-800 all day.

Please let me know if/when you see an illuminated version for sub $700. Maybe I won’t be too old to old to hunt by then.

I agree they are good scopes but most folks don’t consider 14.3” and 28oz compact/lightweight.

My votes go with SHV, LRTS/LRHS, Optika 6.

I currently own to SHV -10x and -14 and neither have disappointed.

I have spent a few ranges sessions with the Bushy and Meopta and I can see myself trying those out on some of my other rifles.

Bushnell LRTS is my current favorite... for $750 it is very clear and love the G3 reticle