• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

New job, new gun: Single shot .308?

Q

QuickNDirty

Greetings!

When I got my first job ever, I started a tradition of using the first paycheck to get a new gun. It's that time of life again =)

Anyway, .308 has become my favorite catridge since I started reloading for it, but I don't yet have a general purpose hunting rifle that shoots .308.

I want this rifle to be light weight, pretty accurate, stainless would probably be cool, kinda short OAL, and tolerant of a wide variety of bulletts.

Based on those requirements, I've come up with:
A Browning BLR takedown model: 20" 1/12 twist
New England Handi-Rifle: 22" 1/12 twist
TC Encore Pro Hunter: The possibilities are probably endless

If I'm missing any, feel free to recommend. Otherwise, if you were in my shoes, which would you take?

I'd take a TC Encore or CVA Apex and their multi-caliber capability over a Handi rifle personally. I don't recall if Ruger ever chambered the No.1 in .308Win but something else to consider.

I'd also skip the Handi Rifle. A good friend has one that I've shot quite a bit. They have had nothing but issues and have had it worked on several times and it still isn't right. It's the biggest POS I've ever shot. Doing an online search for issues they were having, brought up a ton of reports of others having the exact same issues.

That said, the Ruger Number one is a very nice gun and I don't believe you can go wrong there. The Encores also seem to be a good choice.

if you can find one a rem 600
is one sweeeeeeeeeeeeet lil rifle
a model 7 is next closest thing
savage 10's are cheap -light -and most importantly VERY ACCURATE

Last edited:
Thanks for the great suggestions!

The one that sticks out most to me so far, yet I'm mo$t afraid of, is the encore.

I think a Pro-Hunter stainless frame with camo flextech stock and a stainless 16 or 18" 1/12 twist 308Win barrel would be pretty nifty.

Anyone ever buy anything eabco?

Last edited by a moderator:
Get the new STAINLESS Ruger Gunsite Scout rifle - I had one for all of three days last week! Got it, finally came in, was fondling it and a buddy made me a deal I could not resist, now it's his.

Rugged Mauser type action, takes AI 5 and 10 round mags, shoots pretty dang good ( I still have my 16" black scout rifle) has a threaded muzzle for suppressor, comes with rings and pic rail. It's hard to beat for the money and features. Run the 5 rounder when you're walking and stalking, run the 10 when you go tactical on the pig populace. With a can, it's still reasonably short too. Without the can, awesome little truck gun.

Mikee Likes It!

Whoa... That scout rifle is pretty appealing, and doesn't come with the encore's gare-and-teed extra barrel$, die$, component$, etc...

There's one on TGT that some dummy in Houston spray painted and tacticooled that he wants 1150 (without optics!) for but, assuming he's not a hide member, or atleast not one that reads this post, I can probably berate him down to sane levels. Also one in Austin for 750, and I happen to have a loopy FXII scout scope that would probably work well with it.

With a 16.5" 1/10 barrel and weighing in @ ~7 pounds, it's pretty close to what I'm after.

ETA: Actually, I'm going to see if that guy wants to trade his rifle for a KelTec RFB. Got one of those sitting in the safe that I can't figure out what to do with.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ruger #1 if you can find one. Mine is a .308 and an excellent shooter. Only thing it's too pretty for me to have in my possession-always afraid I'm gonna scratch it.

i love my New England 308. No issues with it, have several other New England's in the cabinet. 444, 22h, 223, 30-06, 308, 12ga, 270. Its a nice little platform, lightweight, easy to shoulder. I was taught, 1 shot 1 kill.