• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Larue Tactical OBR. Is this me or the rifle?

john3200

Private
Minuteman
Mar 30, 2013
I recently acquired a Larue Tactical OBR with a 20in barrel. I put a Bushnell ET. 3.5-21x50 G2 in an LT-111 on it. Should be a pretty solid setup.

Ok, I'm fairly new to long distance shooting and this is my first precision gas gun. I have a couple decent bolt guns and can shoot ok, not great but with my 700P in 308 have shot several 3in 5 shot groups at 600 yards as a for instance. I'm the second owner of the rifle. The previous owner is a very good shooter, was an army sniper and is currently a consultant over in Kabul. He sold this rifle to fund another project, you know how it is. He put 120rnds through it.

I took the OBR out today, basically my first time out with the rifle. First shooting a box of Federal GMM 175gr earlier this week, none of these cycled the rifle. Then today shooting factory Federal GMM 168gr ammo which cycled the rifle most of the time but still had 5 or 6 out of 25 not fully cycle the rifle. First of all I'm learning this rifle and am figuring out that I basically have to man handle the thing or it won't function. Shooting off a bench, both off a bipod and off a rest, with a bag under the butt as well, if I don't lean into the rifle and pull it back into my shoulder pretty well the gun will want to short stroke. It will eject the empty but not pick up a new round out of the mag. If I get into it, it seems to function well. I guess not getting into it would be the equivalent of "limp wristing" a 1911 45acp? Is this normal? Maybe it's just Federal ammo. I had a few partial boxes of hunting ammo so I tried 5rnds of Winchester 150gr SP, and 6rnds of Remington Corelok to first get the scope close after mounting it and then just as a function check and those all ran fine.

Next question, this could also be a byproduct of not getting into the rifle enough, or is it something else? I went out to a 300 yard target this afternoon. I was getting flyers, and no, this time I did not pay attention to which shot in the 5 shot strings were leaving the group. I'd get 3 or 4 out of 5 shots into really nice groups and then 1 or 2 flyers that would always go low and a little left. I'll include pictures.

These groups shot at 300 yards. All "Flyers" down and a little left. You can see the rifle WANTs to shoot well, 2 of the groups have 3 shots touching and the other has 4 shots into 1.1 inch. at 300 yards

5 shot group.

4 shot group. (moved the turret in the wrong direction for first shot of 5 so only 4 into this group.)

5 shot group.

Attachments

• photo47176.jpg
    photo47176.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 34
  • photo47177.jpg
    photo47177.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 17
  • photo47178.jpg
    photo47178.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
First off, shooting a gas gun well is going to take a bit more practice vs a bolt gun so I can guarantee that you need some more time behind the gun. As far as cycling goes, check the gas setting as I'm going to guess you're not running a can and the selector is on the suppressed position. FGMM should cycle in the OBR just fine.

I checked and double checked, the gas setting is in the left (from behind the gun) setting.

The flyers look shooter induced. Not meaning it in a shitty way, but you have rounds touching nicely and then lower and left seem like your natural point of aim became off. Its a new rifle to you and getting comfortable with it takes time. Hell if I take time away from any particular rifle I require a time to get comfy again. Dry fire and spend time setting your position up. Have fun with the new rifle.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

First off, shooting a gas gun well is going to take a bit more practice vs a bolt gun so I can guarantee that you need some more time behind the gun. FGMM should cycle in the OBR just fine.

I agree with the above. I went thru the same thing as the OP though not as bad. Things got much better as I shot the PredatOBR more. But if I lay off shooting it I still get an occasional flyer until I shoot it a while.

That's what I though too at first until I compared the groups to each other. I'd have to be doing 2 different setups but doing them the same every time. If you stack the groups I was getting (there were a couple more, I just presented pictures of 3) it is showing 2 distinct shot placements. Most shots in one group and then a second group that's low and a bit left.

I don't know, the groups are a bit misleading. The main part of each group is crazy small at 300 yards, well for me anyway, we're talking .3 MOA or less. Even with the flyers the groups are hovering around 1 MOA.

Last edited:
Shooting for accuracy with a gas gun - especially a large frame gas gun - takes time and patience. Recoil impulse with all of those moving parts is tricky. I just changed out a stock because I wasn't getting a consistent cheek weld - much better groups as a result.

Sooo...your shooting factory ammo out of an orb at nearly a quarter moa at 300 and it's your first gasser. No ones calling bullshit on this? Snipers hide am I on the right website?

Sooo...your shooting factory ammo out of an orb at nearly a quarter moa at 300 and it's your first gasser. No ones calling bullshit on this? Snipers hide am I on the right website?

Yeah, and the democrats never thought Trump could win either.

The groups are legit, I don't really care if you believe it or not. With the flyers the groups are around 1 MOA at 300 yards (confirmed with a Sig Kilo2000 laser range finder)
Temp was 65 degrees, light right to left wind.

It's my first Gas Precision rifle. (unless you count a DPMS Recon or a Sig 716 Patrol, and I don't).

Yeah, and the democrats never thought Trump could win either.

The groups are legit, I don't really care if you believe it or not. With the flyers the groups are around 1 MOA at 300 yards (confirmed with a Sig Kilo2000 laser range finder)
Temp was 65 degrees, light right to left wind.

It's my first Gas Precision rifle. (unless you count a DPMS Recon or a Sig 716 Patrol, and I don't).

I dont car either way I'm genuinely impressed no one has jumped your shit yet.

That's good shooting for 300 yards. Is that flyer on the last round? If so, that's probably your issue. Try shooting 2 at a time and see if you're consistently shooting that flyer as your bolt locks open.

You maybe pulling with your entire hand causing the flyers.

I'm actually seeing something similar with my obr but my fliers go high slightly right. I've only got 35 rounds through it so far though so hoping it's going to settle down. Staying around moa maybe slightly less at 249 yds. But it's nearly identical to yours with 3 stacked and then last two ruin it.

There is only one shot, this shot. A group is the past. The future is yet to be determined.
Make this shot your focus and forget about groups. Switch to dot drills, one shot for each dot.
Make the dot around 1 MOA or whatever your scope can resolve. Parallax adjustment is very important.
Lock time can be an issue as can follow through, a gasser is different from a bolt gun and a piston gun is different from a gasser but fundamentals are the same for all.
Repeat it to yourself. There is only THIS shot, nothing more.

Today I changed the stock on my PredatOBR to a PRS. Just couldn't get comfortable on the Rat stock. Will see if the groups improve.

I contacted Larue and they're having send the rifle in to check the short stroke issue. Great customer service there. I let you all know how it goes.

Larue's CS is legit man! I had a small issue on a weekend, called a friend that knows Mark and had a shipping label in my email within an hour. Received the piece back, fixed, and good to go in two days.

I received my OBR back from Larue this weekend. In their testing it was short-stroking for them too. They replaced the bolt apparently. Weather was too bad this weekend to give it a try though. Will update as soon as possible. Great customer service from Larue Tactical.

I did a great deal of testing with an older OBR and found that the last round flyer was shooter induced for me. When I had someone else load mags with a random number of rounds, flyers were not related to the last round. I also found it would group fine if I did my part.

Make sure the feed ramps are not scoring the bullet when chambering. I had one that was puting a fairly significant gouge in the bullet when feeding / chambering. The feed ramps were a bit on the sharp side. polished them to remove the sharp edge and the flyers went away. As for feeding, be sure the BCG is well lubed...Due to tolerances, the fit could be on the tight side and will break in with more shooting, but it should be run wet for several hundred rounds at least. Other than that, you groupings will require time behind the rifle and strong focus on your marksmanship skills.

I'm interested to know how the replace my from Larue worked out. Wondering if the short stroking was somehow inducing the flier. I'm not sure if that's even possible, but hopefully your short stroking us at least a thing of the past. Do the OBR's not have an adjustable gas block, like an SLR?

They have a selector gas block for suppressed or not. No other adjustment. You can't run an adjustable on them.

Last edited: