• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Lilja Barrel for CZ457 MTR

GIXXER2000

ELR Junkie
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Aug 5, 2013
    Bullhead City ,AZ
    Just heard from Lilja the barrel I ordered will ship today. I ordered a 22in straight .900 counter. Lilja users please let me know what shoots best in your barrels?

Thank you

Midas+
    SK Biathlon Sport
    X-Act
    Lapua Long Range (both versions)
    Tenex
    RWS R50 and R100
    Fiocchi 300 and 320

Some batches are better than others.
    Lot numbers are important.
    Even the best labels can have problems.
    It is an assembly line lottery.

Reactions: BowChamp
    That's what I was thinking. In my stock barrel RWS 100 shoots the best X-Act was crap it was also crap in my Vudoo.I have RWS 100,Special Match,
    Match Rifle, Target Rifle, Center X, Lapua Long Range and good old CCI standard.
    Thanks

Going to try some SK also.

Start with it all. Watch velocities of the ammo's it does like. This WILL correlate to the speeds you barrel will like no matter the MFG.

Barrel should be here today according to UPS so going to start the CZ tear down and get ready to install the barrel.

Not sure won't know till I check the new barrel and and see what the rim thickness of the Lapua Long Range Center X and RWS 100 averages. Then I will see were it lands. I talked to Lilja and their Tech guy said some people get lucky and no shim is needed... I am sure I won'y be that lucky..lol

Which headspace dimension are you going to use?
    0.043 or other?
    I added the sims until I got the results I wanted. I think in total I tried 3 different shim stacks and landed at the longest option. This was after measuring the action with a depth gauge. Not sure if the 457 uses the same shim stack as the 455 though.

Reactions: Tazmon
    On mine after checking rim thickness with a gauge here is what I got RWS 100 .040, Special Match .040, Taget Rifle.0395 , Rifle Match.040, Eley Team .040, Center X .041 and Lapua Long Range .041. It ended up being .005 shim so .045 head space.

Reactions: Tazmon
    I've got a 5k box of TAC22 that shoots well out of my 457s so I'm not likely to change anything till that's gone.

TAC22 is made by RWS last I checked. Since the factory test fires the rifles with RWS, it stands to figure they'd like it.

If your rifle likes RWS stuff, check the Norma stuff too.

SK Rifle Match does a hair, and I mean a hair better than TAC22. Once it's gone, I'm not likely to buy more

M

I did try 2 different lots of Norma Match and neither shot any better the CCI Green Tag. I tried all the high end ammo and the RWS 100 was the best shooting in my stock CZ barrel. The next 2 were SK biathlon ( hard to find) and Center X.

Here is the CZ 457 MTR with need Lilja 22in .900 straight contour looks like. If fit in the stock with no clearance issues. Other mods are AREA 419 30MOA rail and bolt knob new Timney trigger set at 1lb.
    Now if the dam wind will quit blowing I can do some testing.
    IMG_0320.jpg

Last edited:
    Got a chance to shooter her a bit this morning before the wind came up. Shot 2 sub .3/4 moa groups at 50 yards with Lapua Long Rang and Center X before the wind came up. When I got home had a package from Pet's Pillars waiting. It was a new firing pin. I installed it this evening without issue. So hope no wind in the morning so I can test some ammo.
    Here is a list of the mods I have made to the CZ 457 MTR
    1 Lilja 20 in barrel
    2 Timney Trigger
    3 Area 419 30 MOA rail and blot knob
    4 Pete's Pillar firing pin.
    5 Tract Torric 4.5-30X56 MIL Scope
    5 Looking at different chassis options to put the action into.

Got out to the range and did some ammo testing today. All ammo tested at 50 yards. I shot 5-5 shot groups.
    Lapua Long Range Best group .669
    Lapua Center X Best group .726
    RWS 100 Best group .440
    RWS Rifle Match best group .998
    RWs Target Rifle best group 1.021
    Eley Team Best group .491
    Have Eley Tenex and Eley Match Rifle shipped won't have until the 26th.
    Here are the 2 best groups.

IMG_0327.jpg

• Love
    Reactions: BMP and LR1845