• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

NEW List of Precision Rifle Gear The Pros Use

calz

Private
Minuteman
Jan 18, 2012
Texas
A few months ago, I posted some info on the hide about the gear the top 50 shooters in the Precision Rifle Series were using, including caliber, cartridge, scope, gunsmith, action, barrel, stock, bullet, powder, suppressor, muzzle brake, and rear bag.

In case someone isn’t familiar with the Precision Rifle Series … here’s quick explanation:
The Precision Rifle Series (PRS) is a championship style point series race based on the best precision rifle matches nationwide. PRS matches are recognized as the major league of sniper-style rifle matches. At the end of each year, the scores from 15 different matches are evaluated and the top 50 shooters nationwide are invited to compete head to head in the PRS Finale Match. The data I’ve published is based on the equipment those pros brought with them to the most recent finale. This is a great set of data, because 50 shooters is a significant sample size, and this particular group are also considered experts among experts.

I’m currently publishing the updated data based on this year’s PRS finale, which happened just a couple weeks ago. I thought you guys might be interested in seeing some of the info that has come out of that. It’s interesting to see the trends between last year and this year. Here is some of the data related to the most popular calibers and cartridges of this year.

I'm still working on publishing the rest of the data, but I wanted to at least share some of what I'd finished so far. I hope to have all of it published within a week or two.

If you're interested, there are a lot more charts and data provided at PrecisionRifleBlog.com.

http://precisionrifleblog.com/2013/12/17/best-rifle-caliber-what-the-pros-use/

I know this is a small sample size but people tend to be moving away from traditional calibers (.243, .260) and moving into the Creedmoor choices.

Hey, I just wanted to update this thread and let people know that last week I finished posting all the data, including scope, gunsmith, action, barrel, stock, bullet, powder, suppressor, muzzle brake, and rear bag.

If you're interested, you can check out the full results at PrecisionRifleBlog.com

There are a lot of Jewel triggers out there. A lot of the top shooters are running them in the 1-1.5 pound range.

Of the three PRS events I attended last year, I saw 1 gun barrel less than 24". Most people are running 24-27"

I apologize if i'm messing up your thread Cal, LMK if i'm overstepping my bounds.

Of the three PRS events I attended last year, I saw 1 gun barrel less than 24". Most people are running 24-27"

I apologize if i'm messing up your thread Cal, LMK if i'm overstepping my bounds.

Most of us that compete already know the answer but it helps those that are interested in the short barrel stuff. I think they will be quite surprised how little it exists in comps