• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New long range shooter here, need advice

It's nice to have all the toys, even if you only use most of them on extremely rare occasions. However, you don't HAVE to have any of them to learn how to shoot. Focus on getting good quality basics: rifle, scope, and LOTS of decent ammo. I would add to that list a shooting mat, bipod (preferably) or front rest of some sort, and bean bag for the rear. You really don't need much more than that to get started. What's more, regardless of the recommendations you get here or elsewhere, if you go out and buy a ton of stuff right now, you're almost certainly going to find out later that some (if not a lot) of what you bought isn't exactly what you really need or want when you actually get around to using it. Why waste money like that? Get what you need to get started, and get the best you can reasonably afford. As time goes on, you'll have a much better idea of what to buy next.

FWIW - I personally found having a chrono extremely useful right from the get-go. Having tried a few different types, I now use a MagnetoSpeed:

MagnetoSpeed

I view the MagnetoSpeed as some of the best money I have ever spent on shooting gear. Anyhow, good luck with the journey, it can be frustrating at times, but it's an awful lot of fun, so remember to enjoy yourself as you go through it. That's what keeps you coming back.

I am getting back into shooting again after a 20 year time away. Just did other things.

Been wondering if a Keostrel 4500 with Applied Ballistics program is worth buying (versus a lesser Koestrel version)? I use the shooter IPhone app now. I like it but thought I could get Koestrel AND get dope all in one for a faster firing solution.

I allready have a superfone (Note 3) so I plan on using an app then getting a kestrel that just gives basics temp/bero/wind ect with no data logging or ballistics. Way cheaper that way for me

No doubt cheaper to buy basic koestrel and continue to use iPhone Shooter app. However, thinking much quicker to get firing solution if don't have to fumble with multiple devices. I figure pay more now and be happy for long term. But not sure if any of you have actual experience with this high end koestrel with Litz' built in ballistics. Sounds like good investment but might not be very quick on koestrel to get solution (maybe just as fast with an app too?) thanks for any guidance and experience on this.

No doubt cheaper to buy basic koestrel and continue to use iPhone Shooter app. However, thinking much quicker to get firing solution if don't have to fumble with multiple devices. I figure pay more now and be happy for long term. But not sure if any of you have actual experience with this high end koestrel with Litz' built in ballistics. Sounds like good investment but might not be very quick on koestrel to get solution (maybe just as fast with an app too?) thanks for any guidance and experience on this.

That doesn't sound like a bad idea, I'm really thinking about exchanging my kestrel for the all in one calculator. From another forum I found this helpful:

"I don't see what the issue is. The kestrel with Horus Atrag is and has been the same price for some time now as the new Applied Ballistics version, kestrel has just changed the ballistic software program. What most people who own them with ballistic software on them have issue with is the way the kestrel's memory dumps when you remove/change the batteries, batteries leaking, lack of a way to upgrade/flash the software. If you figure what a wind meter and a PDA with ballistic software costs, it comes out to about the $700 mark give or take. With a kestrel with the software on it you have 1 item instead of two and it inputs the environmental data for you. "

That sounds bad that the memory get's dumped everytime you change the batteries (I just watched a video, it doesn't take much time to make new profiles). But on the bright side, the kestrel automatically inputs the environmental variables into the calculations. The last part sounds great. Also, the software can either be Horus or Applied, I wonder which I should go with.

Edit: I just watched a video with the Applied ballistics version, I'll probably go with that one. Also if anyone wants to know, I don't have an Iphone and don't plan on getting one soon. I would want a calculator anyway because it has a longer battery life, and batteries can be replaced.

Last edited: