• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New M1 Grarand

1stforce

Private
Minuteman
Apr 2, 2007
Mundelein, Ill
Purchased a new M1 "out of crate" never shot, serial number starts with 2415.. looking for a post to help identify the age. Pictures to follow. Any help is appreciated.

Re: New M1 Grarand

If you go to: oldguns.net there's a section for dating weapons. You select the weapon by brand and model from a list and type in the serial number in the box it gives you.

If it's a Springfield Armory 2415XX it falls into the April 1941 time frame.

If it's 2415XXX somewhere in December 1944.

Winchester would be April +/- 1944

Cheers,

Doc

W/O pics it's not 100% but I'd be betting on a arsenal rebuild of the 1941 long about 1950 - 51. Lots and Lots of WWII rifles were rebuilt and crated for the next war.

Cheers,

Doc

So, the serial number is 6 digits and the barrel reads s-a-6-50? If that's the case, the rifle got a new barrel in 1950 and further examination will probably reveal other parts replaced too.

update on last response the s-a-6-50 is the markings on the barrel. Long store short bought it because of the condition it was in from my local gun shop. I will post pictures and the rest of the story later today. Just looking for some back ground info, if I bought something more than a beautiful piece of history great. Thank you for your help. Got to get the office running.

IMO any Garand that's not a re-imported one is a Great rifle to have. From what I've researched and found having spoken to Garand Experts, they were ALL rebuilt after WWII. Some may have kept the original receiver to the barrel but they ALL came back and were gone through at whatever arsenal they wound up at. I was told that "going through" them involved disassembling them and inspecting all the parts for serviceability. When they got re-assembled it was from a pile of parts... not necessarily the parts that came off that rifle originally. This is what I've been told. Some of the guys here on the Hide may have heard something completely different and I may be completely wrong. FWIW.

John