• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New M1A scout. What should I know?

seafury

Private
Minuteman
Sep 28, 2010
CA
Hey fellas,

For whatever reason I can’t remember, I’ve always lusted after a M1A scout rifle in a walnut stock. Well today was the day and I picked one up. I dont have it in hand yet but it should arrive next week. I don’t expect it to shoot like my AI or other true precision rifles obviously but what the hell, I may as well figure out what I can do to make it as good/accurate as possible. I’ve always wanted the scout with an over the receiver scope mount for optics and delete the barrel mounted pic rail. What is the best over receiver scope mount for these rifles these days. Back when I was nerding out over them it was Sadlak.

It may end up with a true rifle scope (maybe 5 to 25 ish) or a red dot based on performance and group size. Anyway, for you M1A gurus, what would you recommend I consider or look into given this new rifle?

Also care and feeding, cleaning, maintenance, reloading info advice much appreciated. Thanks y’all.

Sadlak gas piston, match spring guide, possibly a medium weight match scout barrel (depending on how it shoots), a trigger job, bed the stock, ARMS 18 scope mount (they sit nice and low but no iron sight backup), a match reamed flash hider or good muzzle brake.

Shoot some FGMM 168 ammo through it and see what it will do, you might be surprised. My Fulton cast receiver frankengun shoots right around 2moa with a barrel mounted 2.75x Burris Scout scope. Criterion barrel, USGI parts throughout.

41.5 grains of H or IMR 4895 and a 168 gr bullet is a standard accuracy load. I've also had good luck with 4064, 3031, RL15, and Hodgdon Benchmark.

Stick with Checkmate Industries magazines. Anything like scope rings and mount fasteners need to be torqued and use medium strength loctite. Degrease the threads of the screws and holes thoroughly. Buy a bolt roller greasing tool. I would also buy a Beretta M1 Garand or M1/M14 USGI extractor, the Springfield one won't last.

Last edited:
Reactions: camocorvette
I had one 20 years ago. Initially I ran an Aimpoint Comp ML, which was fine up close, but it’s a .308WIN and that huge dot covered targets past 200m. So then I replaced it with a 2.5x long eye relief (you need that feature for forward mounting) scope and it was a pretty potent combo. But it’s an M1A and shot 3.5MOA with good ammo.

There is soooo much you have to do to squeeze any kind of precision out of that platform that it’s not worth it these days, in my opinion. And honestly I think Springfield makes a fairly crappy set of versions of that platform. USGI parts were superior to the Springfield parts, in my experience.

As for reloading, mine wasn’t picky about bullets - it shot them all equally bad.

Probably not the advice you’re looking for, but just temper expectations.

I assume it’s a Springfield? If so, shoot it first with Federal 168 Gold Medal Match to see where it’s at. It will likely be in the 2-2.5” group range. Most anything else will be in the 3”+ range.

Next, make sure the hand guard is clearanced, install a National Match spring guide, shim the gas system, and install a USGI extractor before the Springfield one grenades.

Shoot it again with 168 FGMM and it will likely be in the 1.5”range or better.

You might consider joining M14forum.com there’s a wealth of information over there. Watch all the Tony Ben videos, they are great.

Oh and if you can get it shooting 1.5”-2” groups, it will do it mag after mag. A 2” hole with 20 rounds in it actually looks pretty good.

Last edited:
Reactions: mewillis
What is the best over receiver scope mount for these rifles these days. Back when I was nerding out over them it was Sadlak.

Bassett Mount is another good choice after Sadlak. The forums "M14forum dot com" has a pretty good assortment of knowledgeable shooters. Fed Gold Medal, or any other decent 168gr ammo such as Nosler, Black Hills, Fed American Eagle, etc, to get a baseline accuracy of the rifle. What part of Cali you shooting? I'm in Orange County.
M14.jpg

Bassett Mount is another good choice after Sadlak. The forums "M14forum dot com" has a pretty good assortment of knowledgeable shooters. Fed Gold Medal, or any other decent 168gr ammo such as Nosler, Black Hills, Fed American Eagle, etc, to get a baseline accuracy of the rifle. What part of Cali you shooting? I'm in Orange County.

Thanks for all the info fellas! I’m up in the north bay above San Fran. I’ll head over to M14forum and get schooled up. When the rifle gets in I’ll run it through its paces and get a baseline then go from there. I’ll try and post some updates along the way depending on how it goes.

I assume it’s a Springfield? If so, shoot it first with Federal 168 Gold Medal Match to see where it’s at. It will likely be in the 2-2.5” group range. Most anything else will be in the 3”+ range.

Next, make sure the hand guard is clearanced, install a National Match spring guide, shim the gas system, and install a USGI extractor before the Springfield one grenades.

Shoot it again with 168 FGMM and it will likely be in the 1.5”range or better.

You might consider joining M14forum.com there’s a wealth of information over there. Watch all the Tony Bend videos, they are great.

Oh and if you can get it shooting 1.5”-2” groups, it will do it mag after mag. A 2” hole with 20 rounds in it actually looks pretty good.
All this ! Add a set of Tubb’s springs and a “Shooting Sight” trigger.

Reactions: KYAggie
Hey fellas,

I don’t expect it to shoot like my AI or other true precision rifles obviously but what the hell, I may as well figure out what I can do to make it as good/accurate as possible. I’ve always wanted the scout with an over the receiver scope mount for optics and delete the barrel mounted pic rail. .
#1 You already have that figured out, that barrel mounted rail was a STUPID idea. Same receiver mount is still the best.
The barrels may be raw untreated steel, borescope the barrel to see if it is covered in rust. Then I think you will need to lap the crap out of it.

You most likely know this but I say shoot that pig with irons until you feel you have out shot the irons capability. Then slap a Sadlak on it. 99% chance they will have to cut it for a proper fit. Take careful measurements and Mike will get you squared away. The gun likes grease. If the walnut stock has holes in the butt, fill them with lead bars, or better yet, depleted uranium. Helps to manage recoil. Can even fill some mags with lead for the same purpose. Slow fire stage, only....I don't know how often Gus Fisher posts over there anymore, I met him at Camp Perry many years ago, but his writings are required reading if you own a Garand or 14. I use a mouth guard when shooting mine. Thank me later.....oh yeah....try using 125 Grn. pills for a soft shooting cupcake.....good luck and good shooting!

Doug

I've had a standard M1-A since the early 1970's, a 3 digit serial # Devine gun. Standard GI with a Fiberglass stock. Bought it for $225.00. I went through scoping it with an original Leatherwood scope. I ended up selling the Leatherwood and kept it with the Irons. With Winchester 168 Match ammo, I was getting 2" or so @ 100. I've kept it original.

About 10 years ago,I bought a Walnut Scout. I zeroed and calibrated the Irons and then put a Vortex Sparc ll on it. I get about 2"- 3" @ 100 with it. It has the California required brake on it and that brake works, making it a soft, straight back recoiling Rifle. I don't intend to use it past 200 or so. I really like it. I wanted to use it as a Hog gun, but I lost my Hog hunting property.

For the O/P, keep it greased up properly. They need grease.

I reload for both of the Rifles & use the correct powders for that.

Last edited:
All this ! Add a set of Tubb’s springs and a “Shooting Sight” trigger.
A Schuster adjustable gas plug can be used as a tuning device once you have a good load. Regarding powder choices, use quickload set up for a 13” bbl, and run the numbers to get around 12 K muzzle pressure to keep your port pressure at design spec.

and unless you plan to shoot it off hand Id start looking into a front rest .I chose one that would not require to drill into my stock to mount a pic rail or arca rail .but that's just my doing . we will also be adding a https://www.brownells.com/optics/rings-mounts/scope-bases/insta-mount-scope-bases/?sku=794001100 it allows us to mount a scope without changing the gun stock ( no drilling required ) So I can take it off and take the gun back to stock when I want to , again just a me thing I wanted a scope attached to the gun and absolutely disliked all the scout scopes I saw with this I can mount my 5x25 arken and it will not get in the way with ejecting cases nor loading new ones .

and unless you plan to shoot it off hand Id start looking into a front rest .I chose one that would not require to drill into my stock to mount a pic rail or arca rail .but that's just my doing . we will also be adding a https://www.brownells.com/optics/rings-mounts/scope-bases/insta-mount-scope-bases/?sku=794001100 it allows us to mount a scope without changing the gun stock ( no drilling required ) So I can take it off and take the gun back to stock when I want to , again just a me thing I wanted a scope attached to the gun and absolutely disliked all the scout scopes I saw with this I can mount my 5x25 arken and it will not get in the way with ejecting cases nor loading new ones .
You do realize he's talking about a scout M1A/M14 right? The receiver is already set up for a scope mount, and there are several good ones made by Sadlak, ARMS, Bassett, Smith Enterprise, etc.

Fellas,

Thank you for your time and suggestions. On your recommendations, I started watching TonyBen’s library on YT and need to dig into his Rumble library as well. Those videos have been extremely helpful for a new M1A owner. I’ve started surfing the M14forum and there is so much to learn there. I went ahead and ordered the Sadlak Airborne mount and will have to mic my receiver when it arrives to find out if it is in spec or if the mount needs to be sent back to Sadlak to be cut for my receiver. If the mount is in spec or once it is, I’ll mount a PST gen 2 for initial testing. I’m not sure what glass will end up on the rifle and maybe y’all can suggest your favorites.

From there I will test the rifle against a known quality of ammo. I’ll most likely order a few boxes of 168gr FGMM. Im unsure if I want to try to find a load for the rifle at this point or not. The problem is living in commiefornia, and the accessibility of match ammo vs. making my own which I’m fully set up to do.

If I can get those variables isolated I will move on to experimenting with modifications as have been suggested above. Right now nothing is off limits. Gas system, trigger, stock bedding, barrel, all is on the table but may take some time and my willingness to keep throwing money at it.

So far I’ve ordered some tools from Sadlak to keep the gas system clean as well as the maintenance kit from Fulton Armory. Again, can’t thank y’all enough for the insight and suggestions. My pops dropped off his M1A with me to see if I can figure out why its not running right and y’all might see those questions in an upcoming post.

I appreciate everyone’s time and input. Keep it comin’

Reactions: TonyBen
Suggest you shoot rifle prior to any mods or work.
The blast is punishing and most I know sold them after one range trip. Possibly I only know wimps.

Suggest you shoot rifle prior to any mods or work.
The blast is punishing and most I know sold them after one range trip. Possibly I only know wimps.

I definitely will shoot it prior to making mods and I accept the results may temper my motivations/expectations. I would like to think looking into the future I will accept the rifle for what it is. I suppose if I’m lucky, it will be a 2 MOA gun out of the box but we’ll see. From there I’ll make it the best I can as budget allows. Truth be told, I’m just excited to be playing with a rifle I’ve wanted for some time for whatever reason. If I determine that effort is not worthy, I’ll probably just convert it back to irons and just enjoy it for what it is, a battle rifle I’ve lusted after. If it‘s a pain in the ass to shoot maybe I’ll just drag it out on special occasions haha.

For now I agree with the adage “only accurate rifles are interesting” and I want to make this an interesting rifle if I can.

Reactions: RTH1800
I bought a new scout with the black stock last year and have done no mods at all. I use mostly irons but left the factory rail on and use a scout scope for load development. While it's ok to shoot most factory level pressure ammo, I've had surprisingly good accuracy with lesser "Service Rifle" level loads. Blast and recoil are reduced and it's a joy to shoot. Factory triggers are usually pretty good and just stiff enough to prevent doubling shots when bench rested.

Reactions: RTH1800
Just go shoot it. The basset mount works well otherwise iron sights are fine. Any old milspec ammo will work, or federal match. There's nothing magical about cleaning them. Run some patches through the barrel and wipe the piston down every now and then. Rub a little grease in the receiver tracks where the bolt runs along if you feel like it.

I kinda miss my m1a and will probably buy another if the right deal comes along.

Reactions: Robert4
Fellas,

Thank you for your time and suggestions. On your recommendations, I started watching TonyBen’s library on YT and need to dig into his Rumble library as well. Those videos have been extremely helpful for a new M1A owner. I’ve started surfing the M14forum and there is so much to learn there. I went ahead and ordered the Sadlak Airborne mount and will have to mic my receiver when it arrives to find out if it is in spec or if the mount needs to be sent back to Sadlak to be cut for my receiver. If the mount is in spec or once it is, I’ll mount a PST gen 2 for initial testing. I’m not sure what glass will end up on the rifle and maybe y’all can suggest your favorites.

From there I will test the rifle against a known quality of ammo. I’ll most likely order a few boxes of 168gr FGMM. Im unsure if I want to try to find a load for the rifle at this point or not. The problem is living in commiefornia, and the accessibility of match ammo vs. making my own which I’m fully set up to do.

If I can get those variables isolated I will move on to experimenting with modifications as have been suggested above. Right now nothing is off limits. Gas system, trigger, stock bedding, barrel, all is on the table but may take some time and my willingness to keep throwing money at it.

So far I’ve ordered some tools from Sadlak to keep the gas system clean as well as the maintenance kit from Fulton Armory. Again, can’t thank y’all enough for the insight and suggestions. My pops dropped off his M1A with me to see if I can figure out why its not running right and y’all might see those questions in an upcoming post.

I appreciate everyone’s time and input. Keep it comin’
Those Sadlak gas system cleaning tools are mighty fine. Clean that system every 200 rounds to maintain accuracy.

What you have is a "Battle Rifle". Treat it as such.
That weapon is hard on scopes / optics due to the rebound after the recoil.
I know Tony Ben personally. He's come a long way on that platform. Some of his photos could be of my first M1A.
The Cadillac of the M1A come from LRB. Link below.
If you have a late model Springfield it is assembled with after market parts.
Those built with all USGI parts (other than receiver) are like hen's teeth.
The guys on the M14 Forum are knowledgeable. A while back the site was bought by a Canadian outfit and the "attitudes" changed.
The goal of one of the old mod's is to send people to the "Ban Camp".. It would be a better sight without him. JMHO
Dependability will mean much more than accuracy.

Reactions: rpoL98 and TonyBen
Hey fellas,

For whatever reason I can’t remember, I’ve always lusted after a M1A scout rifle in a walnut stock. Well today was the day and I picked one up. I dont have it in hand yet but it should arrive next week. I don’t expect it to shoot like my AI or other true precision rifles obviously but what the hell, I may as well figure out what I can do to make it as good/accurate as possible. I’ve always wanted the scout with an over the receiver scope mount for optics and delete the barrel mounted pic rail. What is the best over receiver scope mount for these rifles these days. Back when I was nerding out over them it was Sadlak.

It may end up with a true rifle scope (maybe 5 to 25 ish) or a red dot based on performance and group size. Anyway, for you M1A gurus, what would you recommend I consider or look into given this new rifle?

Also care and feeding, cleaning, maintenance, reloading info advice much appreciated. Thanks y’all.

I felt the same about the M1A scout squad rifle so I picked one up last year. The walnut model is obviously the right choice for the M1A. I was planning to run it with irons and skip the optic, but now I may be rethinking that.

Is the best optic mount for these the Sadlak? I'm not a real fan of the pic rail on the barrel, so I'm planning to remove it and put a standard barrel cover on there.

bought mine because it was all TRW at a great price. Technically mine is a Bush, it’s older. Great for the woods and accurate enough for whitetail out to 300. Ive never taken a shot at that range but would have every bit of confidence. Don’t have optics but have no trouble consistently hitting 2x3‘ steel at 500m