• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Member from Canada EH

CF_Smith

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2013
East Coast, Canada
Hello,

My name is James, I am 20 years old and live on the east coast of Canada. I am in no way new to firearms, I had 'my' first firearm when I was 3 years of age, it was a 22LR "Chipmunk" and I have loved firearms ever since. I joined the Canadian Forces Primary Reserves at the age of 16 and used the AR-15 platform with them, I can't say I'm a huge fan of it, but thats an argument for another time (for those of you who must know, I prefer bullpup configurations for assault rifles, like the TAR). At the age of 18 (the age at which one can acquire a firearm license in Canada) I acquired my license and a SKS and I love it. I have since acquired a Remington 870 super mag which is pretty slick, and a Remington 597 with scope, which has been deemed "the sniper riffle" (as a joke).

This brings me to my next point - I have very limited experience with "sniper rifles", I have fired my friend's Savage 10 FCP-K in .223 REM a couple of times. I know very little about anything with a "scope" optic, I've always had iron sights growing up, the exception being the c79a2 optical sight (C79 optical sight - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) we use in the military on some of our weapons, including the AR-15.

That being said, I just ordered a Savage 10TR today and it will be shipping in January. I am pretty excited, my goal is to be able to hit targets out to a thousand yards, EVENTUALLY. If the whole "sniper rifle" thing appeals to me as much as shooting 3.5" shotshells all day with my 870, I anticipate acquiring a .338 Lapua Mag and really pushing out the distances. I'd love to say I could hit something ~2 kilometres away (~2000 yards).

I have close to no idea what I am going to get for a scope for the Savage when it arrives, I think I have it narrowed down to the Nikon M-308 4-16x42, but I am unsure if I should go with NikoPlex or Nikon BDC 800, I think I understand the advantages to both, and I think I am leaning towards the NikoPlex more so. If anyone has any input on scopes, let me know I'm looking to spend around ~$500 CAD for my first scope, and I want turrets for sure.

Anyways I look forward to hearing from you guys!

James

Here's a photo of the two Remingtons I mentioned in my initial post.

The SKS is nothing special, its a 1954 Russian arsenal refurbished. I can post a photo of that if requested.