• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New member from Italy

Motard

Private
Minuteman
Nov 24, 2019
Hi all, tankyou for axcepting me. I am a new-old member by age (nearly 70) and also because have been reading this forum since two or three years at least, before posting. I enjoy range and hunting mainly in Tuscany wich is not that far from Rome, my town. Stalking ore whaiting for boars, roes and damas. Relaod aswell for all my rifles (bolt-actions and leverguns or doubles) and cast my bulletts but only for the levers. Excuse my english, wich seems to be better or worse depending on the day , and if or when I can think directly in Yoyr's languange instead translating from motherthongue. Well this is not one of those days, I am afraid.

Welcome Motard your English is way better than my Italian. What caliber lever action?

Welcome Motard your English is way better than my Italian. What caliber lever action?
45/70 marlin sbl stainless & composite stock, 30-30 winchester ae (miroku made) and one old postman marlin 22lr take down (don't reload for this :) 9

Attachments

• IMG_20210517_194917.jpg
    IMG_20210517_194917.jpg
    773 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_20210516_171153.jpg
    IMG_20210516_171153.jpg
    732.9 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_20210516_171103.jpg
    IMG_20210516_171103.jpg
    598.9 KB · Views: 41
What are you casting 405 gn? Ive got pretty much the same marlin.

What are you casting 405 gn? Ive got pretty much the same marlin.
Love that rifle else if I have never been able to shot mine on a driven boar hunt. Sadly. Bullets are coming out from my stamps between 425/427 gr 95/2.5/2.5 % with 12/15 brinnel hardness. Dont' use gaskets (that instead seems to be needed on 30-30) because I never found signes of deep leading.
This what I run on boars mainly. Are you stalking with 45/70? May I ask You which preys? and which distances? Not a great experience here around with leverguns else if everybody has them in his harth being grown with Jonh Wayne's cowboy in mind.
@ Carlos Danger.Thankyou for Your's kind words. I need more partics after nearly 3 years of Covid travel's restrictions. And miss States

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220423-092526.jpg
    Screenshot_20220423-092526.jpg
    247.8 KB · Views: 40
  • Screenshot_20220423-092609.jpg
    Screenshot_20220423-092609.jpg
    205.8 KB · Views: 38
  • Screenshot_20220423-092404.jpg
    Screenshot_20220423-092404.jpg
    228.7 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Hello from Australia. Being old do you load your marlin lever 45-70 light ? Or do you load for heavy recoil ?

Bonjour. Votre anglais est meilleur que mon italien

Hello from Australia. Being old do you load your marlin lever 45-70 light ? Or do you load for heavy recoil ?

Bonjour. Votre anglais est meilleur que mon italien
Hallo, really don't feel so old jet🥺😁. Anyhow I can still stand the recoil wich is not that bad. For shure not whorst from a 12 cal slug or the 9.3x62 and 9.3x74 I currently use on boars (they have bad habit to charge when wounded or stressed). Seriously answering Your's question I did toyed a bit with reduced charges ie 9/12 gr of pistol powder + filler but didn't felt safe.
Now I settled around 47 gr of n130 viht (personal load no public charge ) that cand drive a 310 gr fmj bullet to nearly 1900 fps. Way better than hornady leverevolution that, from my barrel, I cronoed at 1750 fps. But overall I prefer my castboolits 427 gr (lyman stamp) or 425, lee stamp, that are running steadly at 1640 fps with 41gr of same powder and gave me a milder (less hurting) recoil. As I jet said never had the chance to test..in corpore vili unfortunately. Are you shooting same carbine? Hunting or range?

Last edited:
Love that rifle else if I have never been able to shot mine on a driven boar hunt. Sadly. Bullets are coming out from my stamps between 425/427 gr 95/2.5/2.5 % with 12/15 brinnel hardness. Dont' use gaskets (that instead seems to be needed on 30-30) because I never found signes of deep leading.
This what I run on boars mainly. Are you stalking with 45/70? May I ask You which preys? and which distances? Not a great experience here around with leverguns else if everybody has them in his harth being grown with Jonh Wayne's cowboy in mind.
@ Carlos Danger.Thankyou for Your's kind words. I need more partics after nearly 3 years of Covid travel's restrictions. And miss States
I have not fired a single round through it yet sad to say.

Hallo, really don't feel so old jet🥺😁. Anyhow I can still stand the recoil wich is not that bad. For shure not whorst from a 12 cal slug or the 9.3x62 and 9.3x74 I currently use on boars (they have bad habit to charge when wounded or stressed). Seriously answering Your's question I did toyed a bit with reduced charges ie 9/12 gr of pistol powder + filler but didn't felt safe.
Now I settled around 47 gr of n130 viht (personal load no public charge ) that cand drive a 310 gr fmj bullet to nearly 1900 fps. Way better than hornady leverevolution that, from my barrel, I cronoed at 1750 fps. But overall I prefer my castboolits 427 gr (lyman stamp) or 425, lee stamp, that are running steadly at 1640 fps with 41gr of same powder and gave me a milder (less hurting) recoil. As I jet said never had the chance to test..in corpore vili unfortunately. Are you shooting same carbine? Hunting or range?
I shoot lever action marlins when i hunt. I have a 45-70 with 350gr at 2200fps for buffalo in Australia. Its painful to shoot. I have a very soft load of 1650fps for target practice, and sometimes use black powder.

I also tried the lever evolution ammo and didnt like it. It didnt expand well and sometimes required 2 shot to be effective.

I dont hunt much at the moment, but plan to do more this year as time allows.

Welcome from Middle Georgia. You have a nice rifle ands have taken some nice boar! You also show great knowledge of really good knowledge of reloading and your weapons abilities. You are a credit to your countrymen and glad to have you here.

Welcome from Texas. Been to Tuscany once. Wife and I were those annoying tourists in a Vespa group. I was the one in a cowboy hat 😂

@ Iceng: I have tha same feeling on Leverevolution, donth worth! Let me know how about futore hunts.

@ Dragonscout: thankyou for your' nice words, somethin I learned on reloadin and shootng is that you never... stop learning. Mostly fromour's own mistakes. Just tryn to get better

@ Texwelder: pics says more than hundred words. So here I am, runnin a harley and wearing a cowboy hat. We are on pair :)

Attachments

• IMG-20160902-WA0012.jpg
    IMG-20160902-WA0012.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 41
  • Caccia.jpeg
    Caccia.jpeg
    625.3 KB · Views: 45
@ Iceng: I read horrorfull stories about some early production of this rifle. Did you inspected Your's for eventually cracking of receiver?

@Motard i have inspected, mine is fine. I dont run hot loads much, only when i hunt. So its not an issue.
same mine, no bad threads neither dents or cracks. Luckly because I become aware of that issue way later warranty expired. Do you have evidence of relationship between hot loads and cracking? I mean is that part weak by project or it was depending mainly from bad craftmaship as I read on some advices?

Benvenuto dallo Utah, USA!

My wife is from southern Italy, so I know a little bit of Italian. I hope to come shooting with you all someday...

👍for what I know iserial numbers are not the a consistent reference. Problem rised after moving the original Marlin's production plant to the Remington comfactory in N.Y and another place (Illinois?). None of the skilled Marlins craftmans decided to follow the production cause of the low salary offerd to them. This happened in 2009/2010 so a bounche of lemon rifles hit the market cause of lack of QC and the low skills of new operators. Pre 2009 rifles are suppose to be fine but also some Illion made lever's (mine is one of this) can be ok. Need close inspecting and field check.

Can you tell us anything about WW II sniping by the Italians?

Unlike WW 1, I don't think they made any scoped rifles for WW 2.

What happened to the scoped M95 that Hungary gave to Italy as reparations? All scraped?

Can you tell us anything about WW II sniping by the Italians?

Unlike WW 1, I don't think they made any scoped rifles for WW 2.

What happened to the scoped M95 that Hungary gave to Italy as reparations? All scraped?
I am afraid they had been pressed under some tonns of iron. That's what happened to the infamous 6.5 Carcano. Government prefferred to destroy them in Terni Iron Plant instead of selling and getting back some money. Catholic anti weapons mind.

• Sad
Reactions: Im2bent
You can check the year of manuf on marlins via the serial. First 2 digits. Plenty of guides online.

I have a good collection of JM stamped marlins..

Welcome from Indiana! My wife spent some time in Italy (Sicily) some time ago for her mission, and has been back several times. She hasn’t taken me yet, but it’s on the list! She’s almost fluent in Italian and loves everything about it, so I’m excited to go see it with her when the time comes. 🙂

Thanyou all for Your' kind welcome
@ Iced & Imbent: being mine a Remlin I am afraid numbers subtraction whon't mean too much. Serial starting with Mr010 so if I subtract 10 should be made in 2000 and would not be a Rem but a pure Marlin. Being this the case the serial would not have MR al letters. Right? For shure it landed in Italy in 2014 as per the Italian Import Stamp on right side of the barrel. So production could logically be between 2313 and 2014. Cause the gun does not shows misandling or low craftmanshhip (to my eyes) my take is that at those times Rem whorkers di learn how to make e a decent gun. Or at least it is what I hope

Sometime in 2011 the serial number prefix became MR. This was done in conjunction with the sale of Marlin, and subsequent move to the Remington Arms plant in Ilion, NY