• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New member from South Africa

Kalahari Lion

Private
Minuteman
Dec 8, 2021
Northern Cape, South Africa
Hi guys. I read some interesting comments on the 103gr ELD-X's and I thought this should be a good forum to be part of. I am living in South Africa, in the heart of the Kalahari, which is the most exceptional area for medium-to-long range hunting. We also have great field shooting and range competitions. From the little I have read it seems as if we do things a lot differently in this nick of the woods when it comes to hunting.

Because we use the meat of every buck or antelope we shoot, we tend to go for the head and neck to minimize damage to the carcass. From what I have seen you guys look for the maximum amount of damage on the forward part of the body. We shoot small antelope like the springbok (45kg on the hoof) at distances ranging from 180m to 450m. Due to the vast distances in the Kalahari we mostly hunt from vehicles, which helps a lot on long shots.

Another interesting thing I want to mention is that we tend to hunt with smaller calibers than hunters in bushy areas or in thickets. Mostly a 6mm rifle is used, either a .243 or modified calibers like 6mmXC, Ackley, SLR or BR Ackley. We shoot from really small antelope like the steenbok or duiker, right through to the largest antelope in existence, the Eland, with this caliber. Shot placement must be very accurate to bring down such an animal. From there my interest in the ELD-X rounds.

Big game indigenous to our area is the majestic Kudu, the king of the desert - the Gemsbok or Oryx, Sable, Roan, Giraffe, Bluewildebeest and Hartebeest. I will attach some photos of these some time, as well as some hunting pics.

I hope I did not bore you guys to death.

Shoot straight and enjoy your day

Reactions: UKDslayer
Welcome from another new member!

I know the Kalahari area well - have hunted there many times over the past 20 years... Mostly near Bray and Vryburg. Watched a big kudu jump the Botswana border and dropped him 100ft into RSA years ago :) I've never taken a light rifle with me to RSA but have used PH rifles for jackals at long range.. I often split my time between the Kalahari and the Limpopo area with my friends and outfitters...

I actually plan to schedule a trip to just hunt small predators and bring a small caliber rifle instead of my usual 300 win and 416 Rigby LOL!

I know things are tough for you guys right now with these new travel bans - hang in there! I cant wait til this all settles down as I miss my Castle beers while the Impala steaks sizzle on the braai :)

Scott

Welcome, I look forward to pictures.
I'm having a 6mm creedmoor built so I cannot comment on 103 eldx. Yet...

Welcome from another new member!

I know the Kalahari area well - have hunted there many times over the past 20 years... Mostly near Bray and Vryburg. Watched a big kudu jump the Botswana border and dropped him 100ft into RSA years ago :) I've never taken a light rifle with me to RSA but have used PH rifles for jackals at long range.. I often split my time between the Kalahari and the Limpopo area with my friends and outfitters...

I actually plan to schedule a trip to just hunt small predators and bring a small caliber rifle instead of my usual 300 win and 416 Rigby LOL!

I know things are tough for you guys right now with these new travel bans - hang in there! I cant wait til this all settles down as I miss my Castle beers while the Impala steaks sizzle on the braai :)

Scott
This is very nice to hear. Incidentally I grew up in a small town between Vryburg and Bray. Attached is a pic of a Kudu bull I shot in the vicinity of Hotazel (Hot as hell). Meat only weighed 215kg. It was massive. Longest horn measured 57 5/8". I believe the Roland Ward standard is 53".
Kudu Hotazel.jpg

Nice bull!!!

The Kalahari grows them big :) I took this in 2007 with Rudolf Graupner - its the one that came over from Botswana.. Old and thin - longest horn measured 63 5/8" SCI. It was pure luck - right place at the right time.. Low-fenced cattle area owned by the VanDeventers.. Neither Rudolf nor I have shot one larger to date!

He actually was a fairly long shot at 175 yards for where we shot him - and with a 375 H&H...

DSC_0017.JPG

Nice bull!!!

The Kalahari grows them big :) I took this in 2007 with Rudolf Graupner - its the one that came over from Botswana.. Old and thin - longest horn measured 63 5/8" SCI. It was pure luck - right place at the right time.. Low-fenced cattle area owned by the VanDeventers.. Neither Rudolf nor I have shot one larger to date!

He actually was a fairly long shot at 175 yards for where we shot him - and with a 375 H&H...

View attachment 7756981
A serious set of horns on that bull. Did you have a trophy made of that? Not sure what export rules are on those. I believe I was in the army with either Rudolph's brother or cousin, Edrich Graupner. Maybe you know him as well. He also farms in that area. The world is small.

A serious set of horns on that bull. Did you have a trophy made of that? Not sure what export rules are on those. I believe I was in the army with either Rudolph's brother or cousin, Edrich Graupner. Maybe you know him as well. He also farms in that area. The world is small.
Absolutely :). He hangs in my office right next to my desk! Erich is his father (an amazing guy) and I have met his brother but cannot remember his name..

I can think of some great places on their place where you could sit and shoot steel at 1000 meters all day!!