• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes New member, new gun build, need optics and advice

Doughtdawg

Private
Minuteman
Jul 14, 2012
Maine
Hello-
First off, I've been lurking for a little while and have decided to start a build and now I need some help choosing optics. I'd also like to say I have done some research before posting this so I don't waste everyones time. Here are my specs so everyone knows my situation. Long time hunter (up to 300 yds so far) and target and plinking up to 100 yds mostly. I'm building a .308 on a remington 700 SPSV base and hope to hone my skills on the range up to 5-600 yards, more would be great, but I don't want to get ahead of myself, and I definitley know I'm not going to throw a gun together, grab some glass and drive tacks at 1K. Also I'd like to have the possibility to hunt over field or powerlines up to 300 yards. I'm not very familiar with tactical scopes as my hunting rifle has a standard leupold vx3 3.5-10 on it, but I want/need to eventually get there.

My questions:
What would a good power be? I'm thinking maybe 10X because it would always be in the wide open?
What's the more favorable turret? I'm not a fan of the thick mil dots because it seems as though they cover my target.
Is a side focus a lot better than a rear focus?

I've been looking at http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-10x42M-Tactical-Riflescope-P53713.aspx but an open to opinions and comments.

My hunting will be in Maine around dusk with considerable low light.
<span style="color: #990000">
I am trying to keep my budget around 5-600 hopefully including rings and base</span>.

Thanks a lot guys! I love the site and greatly appreciate all the help!

-Alan

Re: New member, new gun build, need optics and advice

Not a complete answer, but consider this....

Why would a variable power scope be a bad decission? It would satisfy your needs for hunting (in that you can set it at lower acceptable magnification - like say 9x or 10x) and then crank it up when shooting those longer targets (20x -> 32x?).

As far as side focus vs AO.... either is fine, but you'll probably like the side focus in cases where you feel the need to change the magnification or range. Otherwise, set and forget (unless the range changes).

I am in kind of the same boat with looking for a appropriate scope only for me it's a ar-15 s&w m&p 15t. But what I have noticed is really think about the eye relief. In your situation you kinda of need the better relief because hunting long range would not be a problem but goIng to 100 yds is tougher. AssumIng you want fast target acquisition need the bigger relief. I am currently lookin at the Burris 536 as sights of choice. Highly suggested and they can definately work for you. But then again are you looking for more of a tactical look or hunting?

I am at the tail end of choosing a scope so have asked for a bunch of member feedback along same lines but at a higher price point and a bit different use case. In the price range you are after I would be thinking about how to get into a scope with sturdy repeatable and accurate turrets, pretty darn good (but definitely not top) glass, an FFP reticle that you like and an eye box that's forgiving "enough". You're going to make a few tradeoffs in this range.

If you're sure you want to stay at 10X max, check out the SWFA SS 3-9x42:

SWFA SS 3-9x42 Tactical 30mm Riflescope

If you can come up with just a little more scratch, I would go for the Vortex PST 5-20x50 on sale or the SWFA SS HD 5-20x50 when it goes on sale again for ~$1,000 (if you can wait) - or look for these on the sale forum.

Here are a couple of good reviews for this price range if you haven't seen them yet:

Mid-range Tactical: Part 1

10x42 riflescopes: Sightron S3 and SWFA Super Sniper