• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New- Mossberg MVP Patrol - .308

Mattrmvpd

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 30, 2004
South Georgia
First off... I do not work for Mossberg....and like many/some of you, I have high end bolt/semi rifles. This purchase was more for just a decent vehicle bolt rifle that I was not concerned about getting bumped around inside the back of my vehicle.

Purchased:
Mossberg MVP Patrol - .308 (Takes LR/SR P-Mags)

My expectation was for a CHEAP bolt gun that would hold 1-2 moa with standard 147/150 grn ammo.

I went by my shop after they text me to tell me it was in. Previously I was looking a the Ruger Predator versions with threaded barrels. Ended up with the Mossberg for about $480.

I mounted a Sig TANGO MSR 1-6 on the sig QD mount. Took it to the range and here is what I noticed.

Feel: Pretty decent.. stock is cheap plastic... but it is free floated. I noticed FOR ME... that once the scope was mounted, I needed a cheek pack to give me a little more height for a good position in the scope.

Bolt/Action: Came with a spiral cut bolt and over sized bolt handle. Feel is and movement is decent and after about 50 rounds its started smoothing out nicely.

Mag lock up: I used a 10 rnd P-mag. Lock up was great. Never had an issue loading or removing the mag. I tried a 20 rnd... well that was a tad awkward... but it works. Made shooting off my pack a little more challenging... but can be done. Remember.. this is a SHORT setup. Not much stock past the front of the mag to put hand on if you lay it into a pack.

Trigger: Well... this is were it gets ABOVE average for a bolt rifle. The factory trigger is REALLY nice. If you have not tried one... play with one in a store. I was pleasantly surprised.

Accuracy: I ONLY had access to a 50 yard range and was set on getting as good as I could for 2" high group at 50 yards. Now I did NOT get into measuring this as this was/is just mean to be a truck/car gun. BUT... it stacked rounds 1-4 on top of each other running 147 grn Armscor. Re-checked with 165 grn PPU and did the same... my 5th flyer as usual still kept it under MOA.

**I will be getting it out to a 300 yard range next week and stretch it with some 175 grn and also the 147 grn just to see... but for the money, I was pleasantly surprised with the package. Its pretty light weight and like the idea of back up iron (fiber optics).

Just figured some may have seen these rifles and was unsure about them. I was ONLY looking for a 100 ish yard rifle and in....and this fit my needs perfectly. I give Mossberg a thumbs up on this design. It seems to work good.

Just my .02... but I know many of us like to have a farm...truck/car gun and still like the movement of a bolt rifle.

-M

Last edited:
I desperately want a Ruger scout in 6.5 CM. Right below that is a 6mm ARC scout rifle.

Years ago i had a Ruger Scout in .308. Shot nicely but i just could not get used to the scope setup/eye relief.

I have shot a few hundred rounds through it with all types of ammo…target ammo, soft points and some match. I have gone to just under 200 yards (furthest range access i have). It stays within MOA. Its NOT going to compete for a pretty competition or a match rifle but i wanted a truck/car rifle that could beat up and not upset me when its beat to hell. It has performed exactly how I wanted.

I got one about 5 months ago in .308. I have a Sig Tango 1-6 on mine. I run 150gr fmj, some brass case, some steel case. It has zero problems hitting steel (for me) 2/3 IPSC targets out to 500 yards - the farthest I can go on the land I have permission to shoot on. The OP's experience seems to mirror mine: bolt nice and smooth, got better with use, a very nice trigger, and I put an Apollo 4-chamber comp on mine, and has nearly zero recoil. For what I got it for, a handy, maneuverable rifle, sort of in the 'practical rifle' sort of way. I got it to shoot steel, IPCS targets quickly, and it does not disappoint. It's also pretty easy to maintain in the field: that is the easiest bolt to disassemble / reassemble, WITHOUT TOOLS, I've ever come across. I've had no issues with mine. Fun gun for not a lot of money, IMHO.

Reactions: Mike_in_FL