• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Navy Mk12 Mod01...

Kilmore

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 9, 2011
Utah
Shot my new SPR at on the dry lake beds north of Dugway Proving Grounds Utah. Elevation 4070, 90 degrees F, baro 29.95, tail wind 10-12 constant, Blackhills Mk262 blue label. Was getting good groups on 20 inch target at 900 yards. This ammo was punching through 5/8 inch chip board and was still smoking. The misses were hitting clay and leaving nasty cavitations about 4-5 inches wide and 6-8inches long. I am confident this round is lethal at this given range. I am going to take it out to 1000 tomorrow and see if it still flies without tumbling. I will try to go to 1100 but I am certain the Nightforce will run out of elevation. I will crank it to the max and hold as much mildot to see what happens. Life is good.

Re: New Navy Mk12 Mod01...

Sounds like a lot of fun. How much elevation was you using at 900? With a ~7000ft DA I'm sure it was flying really well.

I've shot a lot of the BH with good results through my MK12, but I have two cases of Southwest Ammo's 77gr SMKs at the house waiting for my next trip home.

If you are shooting Black Hills rounds from a blue box they should be factory seconds .223s. When I chronographed my factory seconds 77 grain Black Hills blue box, they came in at about 2,600- 2,650 fps (I don't recall the exact number, its been a long time since I shot them.) The actual Black Hills MK262 factory cosmetic seconds come in a white box or you can now get the new commercial version called the OTM 5.56 which comes in a black box I believe. The actual mk262 and OTM rounds chronographed at 2,850 fps out of the same gun for me.

Pick up some Black Hills OTM 5.56 77 grain, they are the exact same as the mk262, using Winchester brass and Sierra Match King tips. The Blue Box that you have are probably using Lake City brass and are probably 150-200 fps less than the OTM. You'll need a lot less elevation to get to 1,000+ yards. In most conditions the OTMs and 262s will still be supersonic at 1,000.

I'm Jealous. Sounds like a great rifle. My brother has one with an Ops 12th model.

I'm impressed with the results your talking about at 900. That's incredible.

Kilmore

I am so pleased to hear of your exploits with one of our MK12's -- wish I had that kind of range to shoot on regularly.. I know the 5.56 I just sent you will give you even a bit more......

Keep the reports coming...

Kevin

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kilmore</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Shot my new SPR at on the dry lake beds north of Dugway Proving Grounds Utah. Elevation 4070, 90 degrees F, baro 29.95, tail wind 10-12 constant, Blackhills Mk262 blue label. Was getting good groups on 20 inch target at 900 yards. This ammo was punching through 5/8 inch chip board and was still smoking. The misses were hitting clay and leaving nasty cavitations about 4-5 inches wide and 6-8inches long. I am confident this round is lethal at this given range. I am going to take it out to 1000 tomorrow and see if it still flies without tumbling. I will try to go to 1100 but I am certain the Nightforce will run out of elevation. I will crank it to the max and hold as much mildot to see what happens. Life is good. </div></div>

Get a good DA and it will serve you well

Report: the rifle and blue box flew out to 1000 yards, punched through the chipboard and blew out the 2 x 4 support on the back of the target. I am dialed up 9.1 mils at 900 yards and 11.3 mils at 1000 yards. The tail wind is a steady 10 MPH, but the winds aloft (30 ft +-) require .5 to 1 mil to get on target. I put 8 out of 10 rounds in the target twice at 1000 yards. Kudos to Kevin at High Caliber for a great product. Next stop 1100 yards.

Not sure what your DA was, but at an 8k density altitude with mk262 ammo I am at 8.6 mils for 900 and 10.5 mils for 1,000 yards.

Yeah bro, the Black Hills mk262 (stuff in the black box) is money. I took my SPR (w/ HCS barrel) out to 1000m, 1100m and 1200m a few months ago. Can't recall the DA and log book is not handy. But I was getting about 2775 to 2800fps at the muzzle and going subsonic at 1150ish. At 1000m I was averaging 4/5 hits on a steel E-type, 1100m was about 3/5 and by the time I got to 1200m the winds had picked up to speedy 6-8mph with a whooping 1/5 hits. 2/3 of a mile ain't too bad for a little 77 grain pill.

Wow sounds like good shooting. What's the specs on the rifle? Is it a navy issue weapon?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jeepocabra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow sounds like good shooting. What's the specs on the rifle? Is it a navy issue weapon?
</div></div> Read the rest of the posts and you'll see it's a High Caliber Sales built rifle.

Rifle is a High Caliber Sales Douglas barrel with Ops Inc 12th model suppressor, collar and flash hider on a Colt 6721 M3 tactical upper and lower. Nightforce 2.5x10-24 with Arms QR high rings. Knights RAS rail, BUIS front and rear sights and match trigger group, Parker-Hale bipod, LMT SOPMOD stock and pistol grip, MagPul mags and sling. Check out Kevin's HCS webpage, he might have the photo up of the rifle on a Mujahedin prayer rug I brought home in the mid 80's.

Thick heavy salt air blowing off the Great Salt Lake.

Report from Dugway Utah. The HCS Mk12 Mod01 shot 1100 yards with a 3 out of 5 hit group at 9 inches. The second group was 4 of 5 but low and a little spread out. The bullet flew 1100 yards and 10 feet, punched the chip board, hit the mud and ground out in 7 inches of clay. Elevation was 13.6, windage 2 mils left. I dug up the bullet to see what it looked like and it was not deformed, just coated in clay. I haven't got enough elevation left on the NF 2.5x10-24 to take it out any further. The rifle has been given the name of "Mud Guts" after the only dog I have ever been afraid of. They both bite. The desert got nasty today, lightning struck and started a grass fire, rain is moving in the the dry lake bed is going to be a sea of mud and brine water again come Monday morning. I will be back there next late summer if it dries out again. Off to area 52 near Mesquite to shoot my new EDM .338 Lapua. The fun is only starting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jojunior</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Pics are required. </div></div>

No pictures? Doesn't exist!

Got a dozen or so photos, sent most over to Kevin at HCS. I am no kind of computer geek and have no idea how to post photos on the site. Jojunior has some of them also. Love always, SFC Moore 18FW9S6.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jakhamr81</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not sure what your DA was, but at an 8k density altitude with mk262 ammo I am at 8.6 mils for 900 and 10.5 mils for 1,000 yards. </div></div>

You're at 10.5? The last time we shot I thought we were both dialing 10.3 at 1000, Mk262 in your 18" and 77s at 2800 in my 20". I'm at 11.1 at 1050, IIRC.