• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New New Years Tradition. Smoked Prime rib.

Bringtherain

Private
Minuteman
Sep 28, 2020
Louisiana (LA)
Resized_Snapchat-908850935.jpeg
I have been wanting to try this for 3 years. I couldn't in new orleans because I lived in an apartment. Broke out the smoker this morning and created this beauty. I think its going to be my new years tradition.

Looks damn tasty.

Out west, prime rib is the Christmas traditional main course at most homes. Smoked is awesome and gives it that one of a kind flavor, but I've made up some great prime rib in a standard or even a toaster oven. It's all about the cut (smaller end is better), then aging, seasoning, and cooking to proper temp with a nice char to the top.

I buy it a week in advance, choice or prime graded depending on the occasion. Day before cooking I heavily salt and pepper the outside along with some ground roasted garlic leaving uncovered overnight in fridge. Preheat (very important) and cook at 450°F for 30 min that gives it a good char, then 300°F until 125°F internal temp, rest to reach 135°F for medium rare, slice and enjoy. A remote probe thermometer greatly helps, you don't want to be opening the oven giving heat flux, nor do you want to miss your proper temp. I've tried dry aging in the fridge longer, the missus didn't care for it though because it really does change the flavor to a more gamey level, something she doesn't have a taste for.

I cook more than a few a year that way, I'm not firing up shit outside in the dead of winter with the wind howling that doesn't say Marlboro on it, and even a regular oven does an outstanding job.

This is where I lost all interest in what you had to say. Bigger is better, hasn’t your wife told you? 😂
Nope, bigger is just bigger, I don't care so long as it's good. ;)

For the roast, I'm talking about the loin end (ribs 10-12), not the chuck end (6-9). Less fat inside, bigger eye of beef. If I get a full size roast, this is the end I take my own and the wife's cut from.

I do a rib roast for Christmas. I can't afford prime, which is going for 20 bucks a pound, I usually buy choice or select, depending on what is available.
I have smoked them in the past, but usually just do them in the oven and do a reverse sear.

Reactions: Snuby642
what a wonderful tradition to have prime rib . Meat cooked on a grill or smoked is just insanely good .

Reactions: Vodoun daVinci
Yum...you guys and the pix of grilled and smoked beef are making me hungry.

VooDoo

Prime rib for Christmas. Next day sandwiches are almost as good. Great...now I'm hungry.

Reactions: TACC
I ate Christmas Tenderloin sandwiches for a few days this week. I cooked it sous vide here before roasting to finish it at ex's for the dinner.

Now I'm hungry..

As fdkay mentioned, reverse sear is the way to go. Google meathead godwyn.

I have a primrib getting ready for the smoker for dinner tonight spg rub and apple wood smoke!

How did you cook it?
Salt and pepper. Then mixed a shit ton of crushed garlic with a stick of butter and covered the whole thing with that. Smoked it for 3 hours till it hit 130 degrees then brought the heat up so high my thermometer wouldn't read it. Let it crisp for 25 minutes. Then took it out and let it sit. Sliced thin and served with cream cheese and horseradish.

I just got a sous vide setup, can't wait to try it. I mainly got it for reheating smoked foods but can't wait to try cooking with it.

I eat alot of meat with my diet and it's the only way I can eat that amount of chicken and red meat. I don't have time to cook the sous vide does it all and tastes way better than any other way I have cooked for myself

Reactions: BCP
Some elk tenderloin for the win!
My first year in over 20 I haven't got an elk. Already missing the delicious eats that come from them.

For my prime rib...I am torn between the hot and fast method in the oven and broiler and the reverse sear on my Weber. Hot and fast maintains more of the "natural" beef flavor, reverse sear imparts the smoky undertones that add a little layer of flavor.

Really, can't go wrong with either. Important: If you are gonna eat beef, hell with grass fed AND grass finished. Grass fed, grain finished, is my preference. If you want grass finished, stick with wild game.

Reactions: Snuby642
Sous Vide for 10 hours at 131, then reverse seared. I did that for Christmas. I reserved about 8" of roast for my New Years tradition... Prime Rib chili. Sliced it about 3/8" thick, then into 3/8" cubes.

The wife said it turned out horrible, but won't let me throw it away. I'm thinking she's telling me a fib.

As fdkay mentioned, reverse sear is the way to go. Google meathead godwyn.
Hey,E,
I have Meathead’s book 📕 and it’s a great resource. His web page is great as well! Debunks several cooking “myths”…
Happy New Year!