• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

F T/R Competition New Nifgtforce Competition Scope

Re: New Nifgtforce Competition Scope

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tpb10505</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Okay I know this isn't the optics forum but it wasn't getting much discussion over there. I think this is going to be a huge hit with F-Class

http://nightforceoptics.com/15-55x52-competition/

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #3366FF">and almost 7oz lighter than the 12-42 NXS.</span></span> </div></div>

DAAYUM, it's almost like they were listening!?!?

Nightforce should have beaten Sightron to the game...

Looking at the feature list... I'm likin' what I'm seeing!

Lighter than the 12-42x... more elevation/windage adjustment than the 12-42x... euro fast focus eye piece like the BR series... proper 'target' turrets with caps like the BR... side focus like the NXS (eh.)... no illum (basically useless on a daytime target scope anyways)... and one of the reticles looks like an updated version of the 2DD (love it but have a hard time 'seeing' it).

If the price isn't thru the roof, they might have a winner.

Wow, this is crazy. Also, looks like the very first NF that will not have illuminated reticle. I might have to get one of these for my BR rifle. Or maybe both BR rifles. DAMN YOU NIGHTFORCE!!!!!

No zero stop, bad call.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: IanB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No zero stop, bad call. </div></div>

really, I don't get the obsession with zero stops, it wasn't that long ago nobody new what one was. This scope is obviously targeted to the F class crowd. Where exactly would you set your "zero" for the zero stop? 100 yards?

90% of my shooting is at 1000 yards, but then there are days that I shoot Full Bore matches and I shoot 800/900/1000, and everyone gets unlimited sighters at the first range.

Nope, ZS adds weight and expense that's not needed. Look at the reticle choices for this scope. For a few years now the idea that NF made a "Bench Rest" scope has been a joke because no bench rest shooter in a class where weight mattered would hang one of these pigs on his rifle.

In F-class they have been the "go to" scope because they offered a great reticle (the NP-2DD), repeatable turrets, and variable power up to 36 or 42, but in recent years they have been losing market to March and Sightron. Especially F-TR shooters with the 18.1 weight limit running longer (34") tubes have been going to March to get weight reduction. Cost conscious and beginners are running Sightron. Sightron gives you pretty much what NF does at 1/2 the price, w/o the reticle but more magnification. March gives you what NF does at 2x the price but saves you about 7 oz with better glass and more magnification.

If NF had been on the ball they'd have made this scope two yrs ago. As long as it doesn't come with the price of a March, this is an F-TR dream scope. It should let you get to a 34 inch heavy palma and still have an adjustable cheek on your stock, and not have to mill out material somewhere on your stock to make weight. If it is priced like a March, then it better have glass better than anything else I've seen from NF to date or they've wasted their time.

OMFG, they made it in Silver!
wink.gif

I just put one on my must get this yr list, sooner rather than later. (if I hadn't just dropped a whole bunch on an new annealer for my brass and casting equipment for my Sharps.)

I think NF has hit a home run with this new scope!

It is perfect for all F-Class (not just F-T/R), as well as Benchrest shooters. No need for Zero Stop and illumination. I am certain that they did extensive testing before finalizing it, instead of trying to be a "me too" scope.

Not available yet, but I am sure more information will emerge at the SHOT Show in a couple of weeks.

Very timely for the F-Class World Championship coming up in August.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: IanB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No zero stop, bad call. </div></div>

Agreed. I just don't understand it. Dialing from 100 to 300 to 600, back to 300...

We have guys that have been shooting for years, occasionally skipping bullets. Screw counting lines underneath, I want zero stop.

$2300 ? I am a poor boy....sell me your NF 12-42BR scope when you upgrade
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: XTR</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: IanB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No zero stop, bad call. </div></div>

Where exactly would you set your "zero" for the zero stop? 100 yards?

</div></div>

Yes,

I have seen plenty of experienced F class shooters start off either 10 MOA over or under what they should be, believing that they started off on a true 100 zero. A simple zero stop removes all doubt, it doesn't add enough weight to take it into account and I'm sure it wouldn't add much to the overall cost, so I'm sorry NF bad call.

I'm sure it will be better value for you guys in the USA but $2300 equals £2300 here in the UK, that's basically the price of a March scope, I wonder if the glass is as good!

it looks like my 12x42 NSX needs a new home. I have to try one of the 15x55s

15x55 WOW!!

I have the NXS 12x42 and at our 1K matches I'm dialed back to around 32-38.

I couldn't imagine what the "black blob" would look like dialed in at 55.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: IanB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I have seen plenty of experienced F class shooters start off either 10 MOA over or under what they should be, believing that they started off on a true 100 zero. A simple zero stop removes all doubt, it doesn't add enough weight to take it into account and I'm sure it wouldn't add much to the overall cost, so I'm sorry NF bad call.
</div></div>

Must be an F-Open problem... most people I know shooting F/TR are playing games with 30 MOA bases and/or Burris rings + inserts to get more than five MOA below their 100yd zero with a NF 12-42x and 40-45MOA of adjustment.

Honestly, you're the first 'target' shooter I've ever seen/heard of that wants a zero stop on a target scope.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: IanB</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: XTR</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: IanB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No zero stop, bad call. </div></div>

Where exactly would you set your "zero" for the zero stop? 100 yards?

</div></div>

Yes,

</div></div>

Sorry the exchange rate bites.

NF Zero Stop option adds $200 to the cost of a 22x NXS. I can't imagine ever skipping enough bullets up there to make it a valuable item. The only point you'll ever lose not dialing is not dialing at 900 or 1000 in a Full Bore match and having to go for record on one sighter (because the first one was in the berm) and a ZS isn't going to help there.

Look at this scope, it's not for the Tactical crowd, it's for the round targets on square ranges guys. Never have I imagined a need for a ZS in my shooting F class, don't imagine the BR guys have much use for it either. Maybe you have "plenty" of shooters that don't get the dope close on the first shot, we don't. Maybe that'll be to our advantage at Raton this yr.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: XTR</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: IanB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No zero stop, bad call. </div></div>

everyone gets unlimited sighters at the first range.

</div></div>

XTR, therein lies the difference, in the UK it's two convertable sighters and straight in.

I will agree that the zero stop is not a necessity, but having used one on my March it certainly is a nice addition.

Hopefully the new ED glass is all that is supposed to be and much more, I think my NXS 12-42x56 is going to have to continue its faithful service for the present time, I do like the 1/8 turrets and weight saving.

It is good they are final coming to the party we have a nightmare dealership and they were falling behind so rapidly.It is disappointing they still can't compete with magnification march has a 10-60 the best that they can manage is 15-55 it is interesting that the objective is now 52mm like the march and they final have 60moa like march but the 42nf has always been marginal when shooting from 300 to 1200 yards and 60moaning allows to get to 1500 yards. I just hope they are less than march or they will find it very hard to sell them. I also like the 5-25x56 ftp they have released hopefully it will be a competitor against S&B swell as Premier.

BRs have been @ 6 MOA per rev for years, and the newer NXS hybrids w/ 1/8 moa clicks have 5 moa as well.

Not sure what March or Sightron have for moa per rev on their higher magnification scopes...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Down South</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like everything i'm reading about the new scope except the fact that it is only 5 MOA per revolution. </div></div>

That's the only thing I don't like, and I couldn't give a rats ass about # turns on the elevation, but windage is another story. I've been more than one full turn on my BR with 6MOA turrets, I can see this one getting cranked around at Camp Perry (if we get to go back) and definitely at Raton. Having a turn and a half on can make for some sketchy adjustments. I wonder if it could be custom ordered with 1/4 clicks on the windage? That would rock, it would give you 10 MOA on the windage knob, and who ever actually adjusts windage 1/8? I almost always use 2 clicks. Maybe I've put one on in a very low to no wind match and it looked like I was working one side of the X more than the other, but not that I can remember.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: matchking</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Making the "cross fire" more possible than ever before. </div></div>

I've X fired twice, both times the rifle settled on the wrong target and I never even noticed (well the one at state I realized it as the target dropped) but the one at Raton I challenged the miss call, I had no idea I had shot the wrong target. I thought my scorer screwed up and missed a shot, I shot 10s on both sides of it. Don't know where it went, but I really wish I'd sent it to the right place. It may make a good alibi for a X fire, but the reason is that you didn't look.

BTW, as lessons go both of mine last yr were expensive, one cost me the State F-TR championship (I lost by 10 points and I shot a 10, and I had more Xs) the other probably kept me from placing in my classification at Raton. Look at the number before you shoot, it isn't the scopes fault.

To date, I have never cross-fired (knocking on wood)in a F-class match. I rarely run at 42x because I like to be able to see my number without breaking position to bad. I don't think I would use 55x if I had it, but the weight difference is nice. If I needed to shave a few ounces and couldn't find another way, I might get one. I have a feeling that I will be keeping my 42x NXS though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: memilanuk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Not sure what March or Sightron have for moa per rev on their higher magnification scopes... </div></div>

10 MOA per revolution.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: memilanuk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BRs have been @ 6 MOA per rev for years, and the newer NXS hybrids w/ 1/8 moa clicks have 5 moa as well.

Not sure what March or Sightron have for moa per rev on their higher magnification scopes... </div></div>

Monte, please help an old confused shooter; the NF NXS 12-42X56 that I bought last January a year ago has 1/8 MOA adjustments and 10MOA per revolution, not 5. Are we talking about the same scope?

I won't be able to reply or view at this funky site for at least 24 hours, so don't think I will be ignoring you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: memilanuk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BRs have been @ 6 MOA per rev for years, and the newer NXS hybrids w/ 1/8 moa clicks have 5 moa as well.</div></div>

Not my NXSs with 1/8s - they all have 10 MOA per rev..

I think Nightforce has a serious target scope. I am sure the F class shooters will be all over it. I will have one soon. I am supposed to have one in my hands by the end of February. I plan to test the heck out of it. Nightforce scopes have really impressed me. I realize that no product can please everyone. However, we should be thankful that high end companies like Nightforce offer new products. The glass has always suited my eye. I never felt I was losing anything in the practical world. Nightforce is stepping up with better optics and that should make many shooters happier. I am old enough to remember when a 24x was the best on the benchrest line. I would suggest that each person who feels Nightforce is lacking then take the time to e-mail the company. It is hard for a company to listen when few people are actually talking to them. I plan to support Nightforce with my money whenever possible. Buying is critical to our mutual survival. When any of us have a complaint that we voice to a forum we should ask ourselves what did we actually do to help a company to refine its product?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: memilanuk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BRs have been @ 6 MOA per rev for years, and the newer NXS hybrids w/ 1/8 moa clicks have 5 moa as well.

Monte, my NXS 12 X 42 X 56 (1/8 clicks) has 10 MOA per revolution. I think the March scopes are 10 MOA also. I'm wondering why Nightforce went 5 MOA per revolution with the new scope? Might give em a buzz and see what they say.

5 MOA per revolution is even more reason to have a zero stop.

With a 100 zero that's going to be between 4-5 full turns for anyone shooting 1000 yards.

It's starting to look like I have an agenda with NF scopes, I would just like to make it clear that I don't and I still own two.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: IanB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
With a 100 zero that's going to be between 4-5 full turns for anyone shooting 1000 yards.
</div></div>

For F-TR it's more like 6+... but who's counting?
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: XTR</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: IanB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
</div></div>

For F-TR it's more like 6+... but who's counting?
wink.gif
</div></div>

Well hopefully you are when you return back to zero
smile.gif

that's why I like 10 moaning per turn shooting from 300 out to 1500 when shooting to 1000 I only need 19 moa makes less mistakes likely have run 12 moa wind just over a lap with 5 per turn you will be 2 full turns and then close to the middle of the third it is usually when you get up to score go back to reset your zero for the next range and forget. we only have 2 sighters and change ranges between strings and I try to reset my zero before I get up off the mound. I wish the 2 things the scope had was 10 moa per turn turrets and went to 60 power starting at 15 is not a problem but come on that would only be a 4 times magnification increase and march can manage a 6 times increase with the scope that is the closest I just think they have not caught up.

what are you paying for a 10-60x52 march with cross hair there in the US ?
how does it compare to the $2500 mentioned NF Competition scope? NF will have to retail under the March retail price or will people pay a premium for the nightforce name?

The March is considerably more $$$. Hard to predict how much that might affect sales. There are probably those that will appreciate some of the features on this new offering that, when combined with the price, will allow it to carve out a substantial niche in the market.

I really do appreciate the fact that NF is making the effort to provide a new piece of glass for competition shooters, but for me, this one doesn't do much. Aside from a small weight savings (20%) and (possibly) slightly better glass, I simply don't see where this is any marked advantage over the NXS 12-42s or 8-32s I'm currently running on my F-T/R rifles. I'm not running out of elevation with the NXS's out to 1000 yd, and the optical clarity (to me) is just fine. I often find myself dialing down to 25-30X from 42X as it is when the mirage is bad, so I can't imagine ever needing 55X. The potential for accidental crossfires at that magnification is significant. Nor am I so close to making weight limit that 6.1 oz is going to make a big difference. Although I could probably learn to make do with the DDR reticle, neither of the current two reticle offerings would be my first choice. So although I like the effort NF seems to be putting in toward making a better competition scope, I don't feel this first effort is quite there yet (for me at least).

It is very easy to make a simple zero stop if you desire one. I have not seen a zero stop on any F class rifle. Nightforce might be able to install one for extra cost. I don't know the price of this scope yet.It is very common for the price to be higher for a couple of years because the company is trying to recoup their R&D costs. Once the inital costs have been recovered the price often drifts down.

Dose anyone know when they might be ready for sale??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jerry1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't know the price of this scope yet.</div></div>

You missed the 10th post up there with the link to Eurooptic. $2321, I'm sure that's MAP

just got pricing today recommend retail in Australia is $2940 march is $2990 so a 50 dollar discount here however most will purchase them for less they might be attractive as an option as march are never sold under retail.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: IanB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">5 MOA per revolution is even more reason to have a zero stop.</div></div>

+1 on that, I don´t need to be "tactical" but a set zerostop is simply a matter of comfort and convenience.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Michael8062</div><div class="ubbcode-body">60MOA can get you around 1450 meters </div></div>

Be careful assuming ftthat. it will depend on your ballistics and then your scopes zero position. I have 60 MOA and my zero is at 10MOA up from the bottom with a 20MOA base leaving me 50MOA to use. You don't want to be bottomed out on your turrets when zeroed.

just an update on the NXS 12-42 it is not listed at all in our latest price list so Mabe it is