• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

MikeeBooshay

Recoil Sponge
Minuteman
Aug 31, 2009
Houston TX and Hackberry LA
BIL scored a nice old 1911 today, a Remington Rand, made in 1917. I haven't seen it yet, but at the price he paid, he did very well, even if it turns out that some of the parts aren't matched. Has spent the last fifty plus years in a dresser drawer apparently.

Doesn't appear to be refinished, all original. Jealous for sure, but he's a good guy that deserves it.

I love the old guns but spend my cash on new ones as everyone I get needs to function right away, but nice, it's always cool to own some history, especially when it's a 1911!

This one got shot as soon as he got it home, wasted no time in that.

I told him not to take it to work, if he shoots a bad guy with it, the evidence locker people a) will never give it back, b) give it back five years from now all rusted to hell.

Although, it is made for shooting bad guys....

Nice pistol.

Serial number, A1 features, and the fact it's a Remington-Rand looks like a 1944 production pistol.

Nice pistol.

Serial number, A1 features, and the fact it's a Remington-Rand looks like a 1944 production pistol.

Sinister is correct, that pistol was made in 1944 based on the Serial number.

I really wouldn't loose a lot of sleep on the "not all original parts" gun. Contrary what you read on the internet, there are few of those in existence. The 1911/1911A1 were designed to be plug and play, meaning parts interchangeable.

Back in 1966 I went to MP AIT. This other guy and I screwed up one day and while everyone else had the weekend off, we got the pleasure of taking apart and cleaning all the MP Schools 1911s. And they were a lot of them.

We field stripped the guns, laid them out in an assembly line. Frames here, slides there, barrels in this pile, etc etc. Then he started at one end and I started at the other and we cleaned all the parts. Then we picked up a frame and walked down the line picking up parts and putting them together, we had no idea nor cared what parts went to what frame.

Fast forward a couple decades. I was running the AK NG Marksmanship Program. We had a "combat" program where units competed using arms room guns. Issuing arms room guns and marksmanship guns come under different rules. You can't take an arms room gun home but you can a marksmanship gun. So I ordered a bunch of 1911s so I could issue 4 to each BN and Separate Company, Plus kept 10 on hand to issue the winning unit so they could compete in the Wilson Matches (NG Championships). Before issuing any guns I had my best pistol shooters go through all the guns switching parts until they came up with the best and most accurate 10 guns to keep for the State Team.

That is only two incidents on switching parts on 1911/1911a1. I'm sure I'm not the only one who switched parts. My personal 1911a1 was thrown in the pile so its parts could be switched around like the Guard guns. It now has a USSC slide resting on a Colt Frame, but its shoots darn good for a USGI 1911a1. I have a second slide for it that has high profile after market sights. That would be different. Easier to see, but its not a USGI slide any more. My Union Switch and Single Company slide is.

M1911a1's are M1911a1's, don't loose any sleep if you think its "not all original" parts. Few are, and it doesn't matter. Get on your hands and knees and crawl through some rice paddy silk with it in your hand, shake of the big chunks and shoot it. It will shoot, and that's what counts.

USSC%201911%20Slide%202.JPG

I'm still jealous I like this old stuff.

I still shoot quail with an old 20 gauge Parker. Old stuff doing what it was made for, love it.

Kraig, thanks for the story, dad was old E-9, basically repeated similar story in the phillipines from the sixties.

Sitting in departure lounge now, headed for Frankfort then Africa.
Oh, and I quit today too!

Yes I did, see y'all soon.

Nice pistol.

Agree, like sinister says, serial number puts in 1944 production. Remington-Rand did not make any 1911A1s until the second World War.
Definitely NOT a 1917 production... pistol.
Only Colt, Springfield Armory (the US Armory in Springfield MA) North American Arms and Remington ARMS-Union Metallic Cartridge were WWI contractors.

FWIW:

in the second picture of the OP, under the hammer, i see crossed cannons.

remington rand slide on a springfield frame?

that would be bad ass. WW1 and WW2!