• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns New old carry optics pistol

308pirate

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Apr 25, 2017
    My USPSA Production gun from last year, now improved with an RMR
    P-09 carry optics.jpg

Late last year I decided to try Carry Optics and bought a P-10F Optics Ready in November and put an RMR on it shortly thereafter. Despite all the online and youtube ravings about the P-10's ergonomics, it felt odd in my hands right from the get go. At first I attributed it to being different than what I was used to. But back in February I went to some informal steel matches (think USPSA stages with all steel) where they encourage you to sign up for multiple divisions. Since scoring is time plus with no major PF (no paper targets) I decided to shoot the P-10 in CO and the P-09 in Limited so I could compare my stage times back to back with magazines filled to capacity (both pistols share common magazines). Lo and behold, my times with the P-09 were pretty close to those with a dot.

Since then I've been taking the P-09 with me to practice sessions and doing more dry fire draws. What I noticed is that the P-09 with the large backstrap gives me a stronger hold on the gun and a much more repeatable index than the P-10 ever did.

So I sent the 09's slide to Doug Presson at DP Customs for an optics cut. In less than two weeks I got the slide back (I opted out of ceracoating and refinished the cuts myself). Today the finish had completely cured so I moved the dot from the -10 to the -09 and went to shoot. I didn't save pics of the targets but suffice it to say that shooting mid .2 A zone splits at 15 yards on a classic target was much easier with this pistol than it had ever been with the P-10.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the P-10. I'm holding on to it for now, maybe as a spare and for when I feel like shooting Production on occasion again.

And just less than two weeks ago I traded off my EDC P-01 for a nearly new P-07. That one is going to get sent off for an optics cut pretty soon as well.