• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes New optic for tac-ops x-ray

ckmcmuso308

Private
Minuteman
Jun 14, 2011
I have plenty of time to pick one out (11 months), but thought I would get a few opinions on this.
I was thinking about a Schmidt & Bender PM2 3x20x50 or 5x25x56 with p 4 fine reticle.
Rifle (308) will mostly be used target shooting from 100-1000 yds. (Just a really expensive toy!), maybe one day would like to give FTR a try.
Also interested in Premier, I notice they have changed hands and not real sure if they are the same or not, also wandering if they have any other options besides 3-15 or 5-25 (tactical).
The only thing I've had the privilege of looking through is a USO 3.2-17 t-pal which I own and love, just wanting something different and better for the tac-ops.
Thanks

I'm gonna say S&B 5-25 also, although I like the H2CMR. I have no need for the locking turrets on the 3-20.

There is no reason to get a PF reticle on an S&B so long as they make the H2CMR and MSR. I'd get the 5-25x56 with the conventional double turn.

I run SB 5-25 with MSR and love it. The line thickness is between P4 and P4F.

I found the P4F to be too fine for my liking and wasnt overly impressed with the 3-20 and figured I would rarely if ever go below 6 power so I went with the 5-25.

One consideration; if you think you will be using the optic below 8X the 5-25 tunnels significantly below 8X.

There is no reason to get a PF reticle on an S&B so long as they make the H2CMR and MSR. I'd get the 5-25x56 with the conventional double turn.
I don't see the MSR reticle on S&B website. Is it discontinued?
Also I forgot to mention I'm only interested in mil/mil configurations.
Thanks for the input

I agree, with the above. I have a Kahles and its a really good scope, but maybe the S&B is a tad better.
It does run a little less than the S&B. It will be available with MSR reticle as well

The Steiner with MSR reticle is outstanding too!

The Hensoldt scopes are really nice too!

I have no experience with Premier. And you might want to consider the new NF Atacr and Beast models as well!

If you don't range with the reticle and like SFP the Atacr is hard to beat. Comes in mil/mil too

I think the Kahles has a bit of chromatic aberration at long distances.
It does have a great eyebox and no tunneling like S&B at low magnification.
However the S&B has better image sharpness. And the Parallax works better...
Both great scopes, no doubt...

If you're going to go 5-25 save yourself some money and just go Steiner 5-25 w/ MSR. Great scope, same level glass and the MSR option will still cost less than a non MSR Schmidt.