• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes New Optic from Nightforce?

badshot338

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 28, 2012
I was just tooling around looking at the BEAST which I am waiting for and noticed something new on their site. Check this out. Looks like they are trying to get into a lower price point...

SHV | Nightforce Optics, Inc.

Looks like they came out with a finer line MOAR. Not an MOA guy myself but it's a nice reticle for an MOA reticle and it looks like their trying to build on that. I like the Horus reticles myself.

SHV | Nightforce Optics, Inc.

Official Release

January 2014/For immediate release

Nightforce announces new products for 2014

Nightforce Optics, manufacturer of precision optics for precision shooting, is excited to announce the company’s new items for 2014.
4-14 x 56 SHV™
The all-new 4-14 x 56 SHV™, the most affordable Nightforce riflescope to date, is making renowned Nightforce performance and quality available to a broader audience of demanding shooters and hunters. The “SHV” designation of the 4-14 x 56 SHV™ stands for ShooterHunterVarminter™, an indication of the versatility of the new riflescope. It provides reliable, multi-situation service to law enforcement personnel; extended-range capability to any shooter; a magnification range ideal for almost any environment the hunter might encounter; and outstanding precision to varmint and predator hunters.
Updated 15-55 x 52 Competition™
For 2014, the 15-55 x 52 Competition™ riflescope receives several updates to enhance its long-range shooting performance. Elevation adjustments receive the Hi-Speed™ treatment, resulting in 10 MOA per revolution with .125 MOA click values. Also, Nightforce patented ZeroStop™ will be standard. Windage adjustments are now easier to see, and changes are easier to track, made possible by the two boldly engraved windage caps included with every Competition™. The Competition™ is available with four new reticles: the CTR-2™, CTR-3™, DDR-2™ and FCR-1™. The FCR-1™ reticle was designed with input from the U.S. F-T/R F-class team, winners of the 2013 World Championships.
MOAR-T™ Reticle
Also new for 2014 is the MOAR-T™ reticle, a variation of our best-selling MOAR™ design. The MOAR™ was originally designed for field and hunting use, but extreme long-range shooters and those seeking the utmost in precision have requested the same reticle with a finer line subtension. Nightforce has given the MOAR-T™ the same spacing and reticle attributes, but with .0625 MOA line thickness. The MOAR-T™ is initially available in the NXS™ 22x and 32x models.
Clamp-on PTL™
The remarkably convenient Power Throw Lever (PTL™) has been universally praised since being offered as a standard feature of the NXS™ Compact riflescope. Nightforce is now offering a clamp-on PTL™ that fits NXS ™ 15x, 22x, 32 and 42x riflescopes. This PTL™ allows instant magnification changes, even while wearing gloves.

For more information, visit www.NightforceOptics.com or call 208.476.9814.

I wonder how much the SHV will go for? I wish they made 5-22 power in a budget minded scope. 14x is just a little low in power for my needs.

That looks like a great option for one my projects, curious what the final date and price will be.

I wonder how much the SHV will go for? I wish they made 5-22 power in a budget minded scope. 14x is just a little low in power for my needs.

It's in the thread that Lowlight started announcing the official release. $995 for non illuminated and $1200 for illuminated.

The SHV is just what I've been looking for to replace the tired old Bushnell on my trusty deer rifle.
I hope the local dealer gets them so I can see it before I buy.

What an unfortunate sight this is. I hope the marketing reps get fired, because that has to be the worst ad ever, "about the only complaint we hear about our riflescopes is that they aren't cheap", "we cut costs without cutting corners". Nf Better change this ad before shot or they'll be laughed out the door. I Don't want to jump to conclusions, but I'm assuming it's manufactured in the Philippines on the same main tube as the stac.

What an unfortunate sight this is. I hope the marketing reps get fired, because that has to be the worst ad ever, "about the only complaint we hear about our riflescopes is that they aren't cheap", "we cut costs without cutting corners". Nf Better change this ad before shot or they'll be laughed out the door. I Don't want to jump to conclusions, but I'm assuming it's manufactured in the Philippines on the same main tube as the stac.
Just going off what we were told by the higher ups at NF, but it's a us made scope. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

I'm not gonna bash this new "Hunting" scope before it even comes out, but.... at roughly 27-29 ounces, with a 56mm Objective, and only in MOA.... maybe there's a market for it, I guess.

Sorry, not trying to be Cynical this morning...just not seeing where its gonna shine. Maybe I'll just shut up and make a pot of coffee and carry on :)

Last edited:
New Optic from Nightforce?

You're looking at a MAP of $975 and $1171.

Actually it appears Euro Optic is not correct. NF is saying otherwise...or they are not doing MAP pricing on this one

Looks like $995 was correct for non illuminated and $1299 for illuminated.

ure5u2a3.jpg

I called NF on it and they said the MAP price is going to be $975 for models without illumination and $1171 for illuminated models.

For the "only in MOA" comment above, I have yet to see a traditional hunter use anything but minutes or IPHY. So I don't think it's a bad move to not include a Mil based model. What's the point if it only has capped turrets anyway.

Remember, were not the only shooters out there. I don't think this optic was intended for "the Hide" members. Also, hunting at night is becoming more popular so I don't think the 56mm objective is a bad move if they are considering hog hunters and what not.

I have no personal use for the "SHV" but I won't hold it against them just because they came out with an optic geared toward other shooting communities.

I called NF on it and they said the MAP price is going to be $975 for models without illumination and $1171 for illuminated models.

For the "only in MOA" comment above, I have yet to see a traditional hunter use anything but minutes or IPHY. So I don't think it's a bad move to not include a Mil based model. What's the point if it only has capped turrets anyway.

Remember, were not the only shooters out there. I don't think this optic was intended for "the Hide" members. Also, hunting at night is becoming more popular so I don't think the 56mm objective is a bad move if they are considering hog hunters and what not.

I have no personal use for the "SHV" but I won't hold it against them just because they came out with an optic geared toward other shooting communities.

I respect your opinion. You've made good points to discuss. But let me ask you: What do the majority of "Traditional" Hunters buy in regards to scopes? Is it $1,000+ scopes? I would say, overwhemlingly, No. Maybe there are several folks on here, that do, sure. But then, if they're (NF) not catering to Hiders, who are they catering to? Not every hunter is an Elmer Fudd, but even if the overwhelmingly majority, are....then they will most likely never even have this scope on their Radar.

I do not disagree with you on the Objective Size, in that it helps gather more light for lowlight situations, but there are many good, bright scopes that don't need that big of an objective to do so.

My point is simply this: Make the same scope, but also offer MIL turrets and a Mil-R or MilDot reticle, and keep everything else the same. Atleast then, it gives more options and choice, ....there are hunters who don't necessarily want to use Heavy, Tac. scopes for Hunting, but much prefer Mil-based reticles and turrets. Although, at 27-29 ounces, and with a 56mm Obj., it's not barely lighter weight, and not any more lo-pro than their NXS and F1 line offerings...Just sayin'. So where are the savings coming from, exactly? Which part or sub-parts of the scope are being sacrified, to offer a much lower Cost?

I don't mean to come off sounding like I'm blindly and foolheartedly condeming the scope, and apologize if I did....but my point is: look at the new Bushnell 3-12 FFP in George from GAPs Thread....that is maybe more along the lines of what I was hoping to see, in a "New, lower price point, Hunting" optic from Nightforce.

With that being said, I am highly considering their 2.5-10x42 for SPR and Hunting Rifle applications. Also, the IOR 2.5-10, but I digress.

These are just my thoughts and opinions... take it for what it's worth.

Last edited:
I bet if they put a gold ring around the bell it'll be the greatest thing since slice bread. Every hunter will jump on it then.

I respect your opinion. You've made good points to discuss. But let me ask you: What do the majority of "Traditional" Hunters buy in regards to scopes? Is it $1,000+ scopes? I would say, overwhemlingly, No. Maybe there are several folks on here, that do, sure. But then, if they're (NF) not catering to Hiders, who are they catering to? Not every hunter is an Elmer Fudd, but even if the overwhelmingly majority, are....then they will most likely never even have this scope on their Radar.

I do not disagree with you on the Objective Size, in that it helps gather more light for lowlight situations, but there are many good, bright scopes that don't need that big of an objective to do so.

My point is simply this: Make the same scope, but offer MIL turrets and a Mil-R or MilDot reticle, and keep everything else the same. Atleast then, it gives more options and choice, ....there are hunters who don't necessarily want to use Heavy, Tac. scopes for Hunting, but much prefer Mil-based reticles and turrets. Although, at 27-29 ounces, and with a 56mm Obj., it's not barely lighter weight, and not any more lo-pro than their NXS and F1 line offerings...Just sayin'. So where are the savings coming from, exactly? Which part or sub-parts of the scope are being sacrified, to offer a much lower Cost?

I don't mean to come off sounding like I'm blindly and foolheartedly condeming the scope, and apologize if I did....but my point is: look at the new Bushnell 3-12 FFP in George from GAPs Thread....that is maybe more along the lines of what I was hoping to see, in a "New, lower price point, Hunting" optic from Nightforce.

With that being said, I am highly considering their 2.5-10x42 for SPR and Hunting Rifle applications. Also, the IOR 2.5-10, but I digress.

These are just my thoughts and opinions... take it for what it's worth.

go over to the hunting forums where george posted about the new bushnell hunting scope, everyone over there wants a MOA version, its just a different unit of measure, nothing more nothing less

HD1911,

Your points are very valid and I, unlike some members see them as points of discussion. Not in any way like an argumentative response.

I, while primarily a long range shooter who hunts ricks and steel most of the year and brings gear to drop a bull at long range if needed, am surrounded by friends and family who have no need and in fact can't look passed their own intentions, give me a hard time for hunting with a "Sniper Rifle". Most of them run Leupold's higher end optics, Zeiss', and Swarovski's. All in the $1000 dollar range. Not one of them uses anything but capped turrets and they thing these ridiculous "hunting" reticles are the bee's nee's. And I don't think any one of them could tell you what a Mil is. I see these friends and relatives and believe these are who Nightforce intended this optic for.

I'm a small business owner myself. I deal in service, not sales though. But I do understand that huge numbers of sku's are the devil. Based on Franks post of Nightforce's seeming announcement of the changes, they are trying to limit sku's, probably just for this purpose. I think they could sell a few of these with Mil reticles and/or turrets. But I doubt they would sell enough to warrant them and I certainly would not stock a Mil reticle model on my shelf if I was a retailer.

Maybe some of the vendor's could chime in with their opinion on that as well... I would be really interested to hear their take on that subject as they would know better than I.

And like you said, this post is not intended to come off as argumentative. Simply additional points to consider in what I consider a very interesting conversation.

Be interesting to look through one of these at SHOT next month. I have a couple builds going this would work well for...

HD1911,

Your points are very valid and I, unlike some members see them as points of discussion. Not in any way like an argumentative response.

I, while primarily a long range shooter who hunts ricks and steel most of the year and brings gear to drop a bull at long range if needed, am surrounded by friends and family who have no need and in fact can't look passed their own intentions, give me a hard time for hunting with a "Sniper Rifle". Most of them run Leupold's higher end optics, Zeiss', and Swarovski's. All in the $1000 dollar range. Not one of them uses anything but capped turrets and they thing these ridiculous "hunting" reticles are the bee's nee's. And I don't think any one of them could tell you what a Mil is. I see these friends and relatives and believe these are who Nightforce intended this optic for.

I'm a small business owner myself. I deal in service, not sales though. But I do understand that huge numbers of sku's are the devil. Based on Franks post of Nightforce's seeming announcement of the changes, they are trying to limit sku's, probably just for this purpose. I think they could sell a few of these with Mil reticles and/or turrets. But I doubt they would sell enough to warrant them and I certainly would not stock a Mil reticle model on my shelf if I was a retailer.

Maybe some of the vendor's could chime in with their opinion on that as well... I would be really interested to hear their take on that subject as they would know better than I.

And like you said, this post is not intended to come off as argumentative. Simply additional points to consider in what I consider a very interesting conversation.

Didn't take it as argumentative at all, my friend. I'm enjoying the coversation as well.

And likewise, would like to hear other folks thoughts as well.

***CumminsCowBoy: Thank you, for explaining to me about MOA! I really had no idea...

And hey, you actually helped me make my point: that if the other Bushnell, being mentioned as a new hunting scope, is only gonna be offered in Mils, and there are also shooters out there that would also like it in an MOA reticle and MOA Turrets.... well, that's kinda the point I was trying to convey above... but maybe I wasn't clear enough ;)

Last edited:
I don't get what the big rager is over MIL based scopes. They are BOTH good systems, as long as the reticle and the turrets match its all good. If my ballistics calculator says 4.5, turn the turret and send it, it doesn't matter if I'm dialing minutes or mils.

I use a PST in MOA on my hunting rifle, and a MIL scope on my target rifle. I have never had a fudge up where I've turned the dope wrong cause I thought I was using one system instead of the other.

I'm gonna see if I can get 2 of these scopes in the 2014 budget for our LEO sniper rifles. The magnification is right where it needs to be for police sniper work, the larger objective will be nice in low light situations, and the price is something my department could afford.

Just my thoughts, I cant wait to see the reviews.

I have a couple of Vortex scopes, and I like them very much...but I am not sure I would go so far as to put them on a LE rifle.

Sorry to make it clear, I was talking about putting the Nightforce SHV on the sniper rifles.

Don't laugh, right now we are running super old Leupold Vari-X 3 3-10x40 scopes right now.

Something about budget I guess??

Ahhh...much clearer now. Thank you. From what I can tell, the Nightforce would be a damn decent option for that scenario, as long as it lives up to the reputation built by the balance of the Nightforce name.

The hunting market is way larger than the tactical market. Nf will set a ton of these scopes if they are good quality which I imagine they are. I am guessing this and the new Bushnell scope will boost both companies sales with the hunting market.

I would have like to have seen the compact 2.5 to 10 x 42 in a 4-14- 42 model that would be the cats meow and all would be happy on most sides of the spectrom. It would be light low profile turrets and mil or Moa and zero stop. I would put it on every hunting rifle I own.

They may not want to deliver a cheap tactical scope. It could undermine sales of their regular tactical scopes. They may believe that the tactical market is willing to pay more for scopes and equipment in general. I think they would be correct.

These are made for the hunter that has "heard" NF is the best scope (and you can see well after dark with them :^)) and doesn't want to spend 2k on a hunting scope.
They will spend 1k on a Zeiss/Swaro/etc...

Hunters out number Tac/Comp shooters 1000 to 1.
Most hunters don't know what a mil is and think uncovered turrets are just something to get bumped/turned while hunting.
If they have re-setable zero under the turret cap, most never re-set it. They zero there scope at the range with 30-40 rounds of ammo and then hunt with it for the next 10 years. If they miss, then they check zero.
When they buy a new rifle and scope and have the shop mount it, they think bore sighting is good enough to hunt.
You want to know who the the gun crowd is, go work in a gunshop for a few years. You will be amazed...........

I dont know, maybe considering the research and development of the basic nsx line has been payed for for probably a decade now, you would think that It would be easier to just lower the cost on the legacy design rather the develop a completely new scope and bring it to market.

I was surfing through the internet looking for any type of review on the new NF SHV and I stumbled across this discussion. After reading through the posts I felt compelled to register so I could put in my .02. I see this is a fairly old thread that has probably run its course, but in case anyone is still looking here's what I have. I'm not in law enforcement, nor in the military, however I'm an avid hunter who uses tactical scopes. I was excited to hear the release of this scope. I currently have a Vortex Viper PST 4-16 Ebr-1 MOA sitting on my AR for coyote hunting, which I do 75% of at night. I think the SHV would be a great replacement for my PST. I've been well served by my Vortex as it has drawn in enough light for me to successfully kill coyotes in the dark, but I have had the turrets move and I didn't know it. Not a huge problem when you are hunting during the day, but at night it is extremely difficult to see if that's happened. I'll make the assumption that the SHV will draw in more light than my PST. Add that with capped turrets and a ballistic reticle and it sounds to me like the perfect application for my own personal situations. Not all hunters set up a 5' cardboard box at 100 yards and if they hit it decide its good enough. The one's who take it as serious as myself will find the SHV to be extremely competitive with Swarovski, Leupold, etc. in the hunting market. This is all coming from a guy who built a 7mm Rem Mag with a McM M40A1 stock and Shilen Match Grade Select barrel solely for hunting purposes (.0267 @ 100yds :)) and I'm not sure how many people like me out there there really is. I do not see the SHV being a real popular scope in mils. Most hunters, including myself, stick to moa. It's what we are use to and for myself, it's easier. The $1,000 price point is a good place to be. I don't believe that putting a $2,000 scope on a standard factory rifle is really necessary. The ATACR will compliment my 7mm nicely, but it's not your standard hunting rifle, but I wouldn't consider it for my AR, there just isn't really a way to justify it.

I would have like to have seen the compact 2.5 to 10 x 42 in a 4-14- 42 model that would be the cats meow and all would be happy on most sides of the spectrom. It would be light low profile turrets and mil or Moa and zero stop. I would put it on every hunting rifle I own.

I too was dreaming of a 3-15/4-16 x42 in nightforces line...
What a wonderful general purpose scope it would be...
Here,in my lowly opinion,nightforce has produced a scope that weighs about the same,takes up about the same footprint as and has the very same huge objective lense as it's tactical scopes,and though the turrets are capped,all they really did was build a scope for those who can't swing the price of one of the full sized NXS's...and that's not a bad thing...but they didn't build a hunting scope...

Last edited: