• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes New Optics for SA M1A

Fokus_In

Private
Minuteman
Nov 17, 2011
NC/CA USA
Recently picked up a SA Loaded M1A and am now in the market for some optics. Not looking for anything too powerful, probably in the 3-9 or 4-14 range, I don't think I'll be shooting past 500-600m with this rifle(have others for long range). I'd like to stay under a grand so I've been looking at a Falcon Menace 4-14, SWFA SS 3-9, WOTAC 4.5-14, or a Leupold Mark IV 3.5-10. The Falcon and WOTAC are both FFP. Any thoughts?

Re: New Optics for SA M1A

First you have to figure out what type of mount you are going to use, do you have something in mind ?

I have two scoped M1A's, one has an "in spec" reciever and I used the A.R.M.S. #18

The other had a "out of spec" receiver and used the SADLAK mount that was cut to fit my reciever, the optics mount groove was too shallow & not wide enough, so the mount had to be modified. SADLAK will send you a kit to determine if your reciever is "in" or "out" of spec.

Went with the SWFA 5-20x50 Black Friday kit. Plan on using the 6x fixed on my M1A and saving the 5-20 for a precision bolt build.

Save even more and shoot the M1A with the iron sights, like God intended it. Like i've told others when this question comes up, why take an excellent battle rifle and turn it into a half-ass precision rifle?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Erud</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Save even more and shoot the M1A with the iron sights, like God intended it. Like i've told others when this question comes up, why take an excellent battle rifle and turn it into a half-ass precision rifle? </div></div>

Amen.

IMO the sadlak is the way to go. I had a minor issue with mounting it and I called and talked to Mr. Sadlak. Right up there with Gueislee. ( I talked to Bill too!) Greaat

I actually might have a steel scope mount available soon if I can sell this M1A.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Erud</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Save even more and shoot the M1A with the iron sights, like God intended it. Like i've told others when this question comes up, why take an excellent battle rifle and turn it into a half-ass precision rifle? </div></div>

Sticking with irons, at least for a while, had been my plan when I bought the rifle. I haven't shot iron sights since basic and figured it'd be fun to use them again. One consideration in choosing a mount is the ability to use the irons, which from my understanding both the Sadlak and SEI mounts have.

I think I've just gotten used to using some kind of optic (ACOG on my M4, Leupy Mk4 on a M110) that I feel more comfortable using optics. Though I'm sure going back to irons would help out my marksmanship.

True you can still see the sights with he sadlak mount, but think about this: if the sights are at the proper height for the rifle(ergonomIcally-speaking), how can the scope be right if it's 1.5" above it? How do you get a proper cheek weld with that setup? The M1A was never meant to wear an optic and IMHO, any optic/mounting combination available diminishes the whole system. It's like mounting a scope on top of an A2 carry handle; sure you can do it, but why?

The M1A as designed is capable of excellent combat accuracy and properly accurized models can shoot extremely well. Just ask all of the Highpower shooters that got their Distinguished Rifleman badges with them over the years.

I'm kind of in the same boat with optics as the OP. I just need to buy my rifle.

I respect what Erud has to say regrading irons and will be, at least, starting out using irons. However, aging eyes has almost made it necessary I use "some" magnification. IF... I need to go scoped, I have a nice little 10x Bushnell 3200 waiting on the bench along with some nice rings.

But which mount? Is the Sadlak mount the only one with the channel to allow the use of the irons? Or are there others? Please advise.

Just remember that the front bell cant fall below and block the line of sight for the irons if you want to use them - might need a smaller objective or higher rings to make this work.

Smith Enterprise's mount also has a channel for iron sights, and it's built very solid - I might be partial to them because I live 20 minutes away. I've put a lot of rounds through my M1A and the mount has never fallen out of alignment or showed signs of loosening.

FWIW, I have never seen a rifle set up for tandem use of scope and iron sights that came out right except a co-witnessed reflex. Cheek weld is always horrendous for the optic. Rings that accomodate this set up are always low quality. And in the end, you never end up using your irons because the scope is 'right there.' My recommendation is don't do it - it sounds tacticool but you will be very disappointed. Imho, it also looks and functions awful having the scope so far above the rifle.

If you truly want this set up, do it the AR way and get high quality low rings (<= 0.82") with QD levers. Personally, I just carry a 1/2" wrench in my M1A bag. With the other set up, you will still have to install & remove your cheek rest to use your iron sights anyways unless you want to chin or throat weld to use the scope.

The way my M1A is set up, I do not have enough room to raise my rear sight to the 100-yard zero, but shooting with optics feels is very natural. A few pics of the mount & set up:

M1A_Mount.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shooting4life</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just ordered the casm mount for mine. Hope it is more solid than other 3 point style mounts. </div></div>

Did you receive your CASM mount ?

I'm considering one, but was waiting to see what your thoughts are.

I received it, its good quality. Machine work is good as well. Wont be able to get it installed until after the holidays though.