• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New personal 300 yard best..... Remmy 700 SPS Var .308 in McRee chassis & SS 5-20 scope

winxp_man

Firearm Pimp
Supporter
Minuteman
Jun 20, 2009
Sacto, CA
So I finally got into the some what new rifle into a new McRee chassis I bought off the forum here. Thanks to the seller because I got a heck of a deal! The rifle is a Remington 700 SPS Varmint .308 26" barrel and I did do a BO bolt knob install and Timney 510 trigger. And the brake is a Muscle 4 port brake. I really love the chassis and how the rifle shoots can complain one bit I would say. So the rifle as in the action and barrel and lug are all stock.

The first target is the first time in about a year of no shooting (yes I know a long time but hard to balance life when you also fly fish for fish A-Z) :). So the ammo is HSM 168 gr A-Max ammo not reloads. The first 5 shot group I did @ 300 yards measured out just under 2". The Second which is my personal best at 300 yards was a tad under 1". My better group was with a SPS Tac 20" @ 550 yards which came out at 2.52". I have yet to shoot reloads yet but working up loads through the SPS Varmint. I gotta say though that the McRee chassis is one bad ass chassis system and the version I got is the G7 M-Lev chassis and that build in level could not be nicer :)

Any ways enough blabber here are some pics :)

And here are the targets.......

This is the first one I shot @ 300

The second here is prone. I aimed a bit lower to not mix up the groups. The range I shot this at you have to walk out to the 300 yard line (cant drive) so its why I shot both groups instead of walking out there two different times.

Well hope you all enjoy this little report and pics :)

Ok, tell us the rest of the story. What happened to the fifth round in the second group:)

Ok, tell us the rest of the story. What happened to the fifth round in the second group:)

I see your on top of things hahaha

I actually used the last round to hit a bottle :) the round went dead center through the bottle.

I know you going to be surprised what it will do once you start handloading for it to. I have the same model in an AICS and this is what mine delivered just using PPU 168gr match all of the same lot number, total of 9 rounds on a reduced target face. 5 seconds to get off 3 rounds after a 110 yard sprint in then fired from the prone position, I did it three times, distance 100 yards.

Last edited:
Way to go on that shooting WhoDat :D so a few weeks ago I was out shooting at 832 yards. Out of 20 rounds I hit a 7" wide by 11" tall water jug 6 times and manage to take out a can the size of a standard beer bottle. It took me about 10 rounds to walk in the round with no spotter, wind varied from 0-10 mph and didn't know the exact fps of the 168 match win ammo (forgot chrono at home). So I used what was on the box but it was off. Either way had a fun day at that distance for sure!!

Last edited:
Nice shooting. What are those rigs tipping the scales at?

Nice shooting. What are those rigs tipping the scales at?

I take it your asking cost for the build. Well I will put a quick list together.

Remmy 700 SPS Var .308 Win $600
McRee Chassis+NV mount+rail $936
Harris 6-9 Swivel BR Bipod $100
Muzzel Brake $130
Timney 510 trigger $130
TPS 20MOA Rail $90
Badger 30mm Rings $160
Stock Pack $16
Swfa SS 5-20 $1000
Sun shade $30
Barrel Threading $75

-------------------------------------
Total is $3,267

Damn this is the first time I added all this up and its almost scary but how good it shoots it does not even matter!

Oh well, at least you have it now. "Buy once, cry once." as they say. Solid investment lol

If you want a challenge take 20 shots at a fclass target and check your score.

308220 said:
Oh well, at least you have it now. "Buy once, cry once." as they say. Solid investment lol

This is for sure! I'm currently waiting for another G7 McRee chassis for my Remmy Sendero SFII 300WM. I'm getting the stock part today and the chassis is coming tomorrow. Either way the investment in firearms is never a bad one in my eyes! I will be posting that build when its all put together and get a few rounds through the setup.

If you want a challenge take 20 shots at a fclass target and check your score.

I will for sure one of these days. I might have some time to get out to the place I do my LR shooting within two weeks. The small issue is driving 2 hours to get out there. But I will real soon here.