• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New personal record with the .22

Michael Riley

Private
Minuteman
May 18, 2011
NE Ohio
So here's the story, me and 3 of my buddies have a little $20 bet each year on who can get the longest shot with my .22. Rules are, one of the other 3 have to witness the kill and you have to be able to retrieve the body for a pic and at least one other has to confirm the range. Tyler had the top shot at 230 yards untill yesterday morning. (I have a 246 yard first round kill but it wasn't witnessed) I ran out of rounds for my 6mm, so I decided to take the .22 out and try to beat his shot. I called Matt up and he said he was up to go. We went out to a friends field and it wasn't 5 minutes before I spotted a groundhog. Ranged it at 270 yards and got set up. I shoot a Marlin 880SQ with a Nitrex 3-15 TR2 inside of Burris Sigs with 30 MOA. 270 yards is where my elevation maxes out around 39MOA so it was somewhat at the perfect distance. Fired the first shot and it was a little right. He started running and stopping every few yards then running again. I loaded another round and held off more to the left and used the reticle for some hold over. This shot hit even further to the right. I was in too much of a hurry trying to get him before he got to his hole to focus on the wind. He started running towards us for a second and then did a 180 and headed for a tree line where some hay bails were lined up. I lead him by about 2 yards and just barely missed again. Reloaded and by then he was within 10 yards of the tree line and still running. Lead him even more and fired off the last round. Hit him in the spine and dropped him about 5 feet away from the hay bails. I know it's not as impressive as some of the 300 and even 600+ yard kills I've read about on here but I'm gettin there:)

I wrote down the distance on the paper in the pic but the glare made it too hard to see so I edited it with my phone
grin.gif

downsized_0712110854a01.jpg

Re: New personal record with the .22

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: stork23raz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">impressive for a 22. He is a good fat one. What kind of ammo were you using. </div></div>

40 grain CCI Subsonic HPs. Things have never let me down:)

Where are you shooting at? I am in Amherst OH. Would be nice to get together with other local SH members. Rick

Nice shooting. Those little pills have some knock down power even out at 300 yards.

Good shooting buddy. Amazing what that little bullet can do out that far!

good shooting! its always good to hear that i am not the only one who has to follow the puffs of dust onto target from time to time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: texasplinker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">good shooting! its always good to hear that i am not the only one who has to follow the puffs of dust onto target from time to time. </div></div>

HAHA! You're not even close to the only one getting some dust puffs..

Just the other day..

I had the .22s out and saw a groundhog. Aw hell, why not try to get it that far away. (Close to 200yds.) Shot..."Dang it."....Shot..."Dang it!"...Shot...DANG IT!...I need a centerfire... Done =)

Thanks for the kind words everyone

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Where are you shooting at? I am in Amherst OH. Would be nice to get together with other local SH members. Rick</div></div>

I'm in Knox about an hour NE of columbus. I have a few fields that I hunt groundhogs at around here. Got this one out at my buddy zacs. It's the biggest one I shoot at and has a few spots to shoot well past 500 at.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Isaaccarlson: Nice shooting. Those little pills have some knock down power even out at 300 yards.</div></div>

This morning we went out to try and get some more long range kills but after about a half hour of not seeing anything we got impatient and set up a piece of plywood that was about 10X15" at 305yds. My scope runs out of adjustment at 270ish so I looked to see how many inches of hold over I needed and figured that the 3rd dot of my EBX reticle should be close. Diled in 5MOA for a light wind (and my rifle starts to shoot about 2MOA to the right at 250). Took a shot and the elevation was just about perfect, but hit about 4 inches to the left. Shot again without adjusting since I didn't expect the groups to be good at all and hit the left side. Took 1MOA out and fired about 30 shots at it holding off on diff spots for the wind. Connected on over 20 of them. Didn't count because after we shot we just drove by and Matt threw it in the back of the truck after we glanced at it. Will have to check it tomorrow. I was very happy with the results overall and now I'm working on getting a 300+ yard kill. When I first started shooting it at 200 yards I struggled to consistently shoot anything under a 6" group and probably averaged 8". Gettin better
smile.gif
Might have to mount the SWFA 16X on it to get some more elevation and see what happens at 400 or further... After hearing of one guy here gettin a jack rabbit out past 600yds 400 seems very doable.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally Posted By: texasplinkergood shooting! its always good to hear that i am not the only one who has to follow the puffs of dust onto target from time to time.</div></div>

HAHA! You're not even close to the only one getting some dust puffs..

Just the other day..

I had the .22s out and saw a groundhog. Aw hell, why not try to get it that far away. (Close to 200yds.) Shot..."Dang it."....Shot..."Dang it!"...Shot...DANG IT!...I need a centerfire... Done =)</div></div>

We've been shooting at all sorts of things and we definately miss more than we hit! Shooting quarters at 175 was a ton of fun. Only hit about 10% of the time but it feels good when ya do! Some days are just better than others. I've had days where I can't hit a thing smaller than a milk jug past 200 then some where I'm surprisingly consistent. Just depends on the wind. It's usually pretty light around here and we have a few areas with a lot of cover from trees.