• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns New Pistol Search..

GibsonL5

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Aug 31, 2018
TX
So, I'm after a new pistol for just FUN shooting. I bought a x5 legion and sold it 2 weeks after purchase. It was a nice pistol, but didn't WOW me..
Mainly the trigger was unsatisfactory for me. I'm comparing it to a STI Marauder and STI Trojan that I own. So, I'm looking hard at a CZ Shadow 2 SA. Anyone have experience with one? Any others 9mm pistols in the sub $1200 range that I should look at? MUST have nice trigger and weigh atleast 40 ounces..

This one.......

Reactions: powdahound76
Love my Shadow 2 DA/SA. DA is very smooth and predictable while the SA is ~2.5# with a good reset. I personally see no reason in sending it in to CZ Custom or CGW for trigger work. Would buy one or two more S2s as a spare if and when I can justify the purchase. 43.5oz naked and 56oz loaded with an x300 and the standard 17 round magazine.

There was another user, maybe on here I think, that stated his SAO S2 had a marginally better reset than his DA/SA S2. He also said the SAO pull was a tad heavier than the other. I temporarily converted mine to SAO but didn’t fall in love with it, so converted it back.

If you really want something special, get the Shadow 2 and send it to Cajun Gun Works. That will be closer to $1600 or so but will be as close to perfection as one could hope.

This is a bit more expensive but it's on my list to get. Shadow 2 grip with a 1911/2011 style trigger.

Oh if you qualify for CZ's first responder/Mil program, their prices on the S2, DWX, etc. are very reasonable. Bigger discount %, it seems, than Glock's Blue Label program.

This one.......

Price is way high. Even for a pristine example. Especially without box, papers, and accouterments.

The CZ is more of a side-ways move imho, and not many other sub-1200 dollar off the rack pistols are going to compare to the STI's you mentioned for fun shooting. Save up some more and get yourself a used STI Steelmaster (available in minor 9mm, or some other more expensive STI open gun variant) and you'll probably never go back to your other pistols.

CZ Tactical Sport Orange. The Shadow 2 is cool but it isn’t as good as you can get. If you swap a CGW trigger kit in the S2 it’s better, but the TSO is certainly even better than that. The TSO is an absolute laser and you can run it with a 1/2lb trigger that makes it a complete joy. Next to a $6,000 race 1911 the difference was almost not discernible to me (I’m not a master), but you are also getting a lot more reliability in the CZ over a 1911.

Shadow 2’s are cool if you want to spend a little less, but a S2’s trigger isn’t all that great so once you throw trigger into the S2 you’re almost at TSO price.

They also have a Shadow 2 Orange now, but it’s more money than the TSO.

So, I'm after a new pistol for just FUN shooting. I bought a x5 legion and sold it 2 weeks after purchase. It was a nice pistol, but didn't WOW me..
Mainly the trigger was unsatisfactory for me. I'm comparing it to a STI Marauder and STI Trojan that I own. So, I'm looking hard at a CZ Shadow 2 SA. Anyone have experience with one? Any others 9mm pistols in the sub $1200 range that I should look at? MUST have nice trigger and weigh atleast 40 ounces..

IF you are hard stuck on your $1200 price range

I'd set aside the $500 that a top notch CGW job on your pistol is going to cost you, then go pick a CZ that fits your hand and that you find you naturally point well. The Shadow2 has bigger grips, a 75B model or the 75 SP01 will have thinner grips
Then make sure to tell the guys at CGW how you want your trigger weights and resets done. (By default they'll do a 2.5-3 pound SA with a 6.5-7 pound DA and a short reset trigger with overtravel screw).

Generally speaking the standard model CZs are in the $600 to $700 range so that basically puts you right at your budget point.
Going to a Shadow 2 or a TSO is a great idea BUT will run you outside your budget.

Also you might find a Tanfoglio target pistol used in your price range and those, especially the SA models are amazing shooters & you can get them used often at an amazing price (some of the EAA high end variants are also like that if you find a good deal used).

I have an SP-01 Tactical with the full Cajun Gunworks kit and every part except the 10X bushing. LOK Bogie grips, stainless guide rod. It is a nicer gun than a Shadow 2, and is about the same price as the S2 once you put the parts into it. I'm looking to sell it if you're interested, I'd like to get a straight race gun in its place. I bought it to use in competition and it's nice, but I want to go straight to a Limited class race gun with the TSO now.

honestly none of the CZ 75 lines are all that impressive....they seem WAY over hyped to me.

ide take a look at the Beretta 92A3...the new grip profile makes them handle a lot better than the original 92

honestly none of the CZ 75 lines are all that impressive....they seem WAY over hyped to me.

I'm not sure how many you have handled, have you compared the base models against ones that are worked on or are the upgraded models?

A base $600 75b model isn't going to be anything super special, just decent and reliable. Now put about $400 or so of upgrades / smith work, or get one of the factory upgraded models such as the TSO (or a Shadow 2, or something from CZ Custom Shop), and now you are talking a really nice range / target gun at a very affordable price with a great trigger, that you can also use as your daily carry.

I'm not sure how many you have handled, have you compared the base models against ones that are worked on or are the upgraded models?

A base $600 75b model isn't going to be anything super special, just decent and reliable. Now put about $400 or so of upgrades / smith work, or get one of the factory upgraded models such as the TSO (or a Shadow 2, or something from CZ Custom Shop), and now you are talking a really nice range / target gun at a very affordable price with a great trigger, that you can also use as your daily carry.
ive owned the base models and worked in a shop and sold many of their higher end models......

the base models are garbage honestly...theres no reason for a hammer fired gun to have that bad of a trigger...and they have a lot of muzzle flip for a gun with such a low bore axis....and the low slide makes manipulation under stress more difficult.

the shadows have great triggers...but in my opinion, thats about it..and i really dont see that justifying the price over the base models.

but my biggest gripe is the sharp fucking corners on the mags.....yes there are remedies for that..but every other gun maker seems to not have that trouble when it comes to mags.

overall im just not impressed with the whole system....i know they work great for some people....but i just dont see the value there.

i think the M92A3 or the Sig 210 are much better options for the money.

the Sig 210 are much better options for the money.

Now if they made the 210 with a high capacity magazine system that would be something worth getting.
It's just kind of hard to justify that big of a pistol with their 8 round magazines.

i..theres no reason for a hammer fired gun to have that bad of a trigger...

As bad as a base CZ is on the trigger department, have you tried the DA triggers on the H&K current generation DA/SA pistols.......
H&K seems to have a corporate philosophy that average triggers should suck big time...

They got a bit better with the VP series because it's not a hammer fired gun.

Hk DA pull heavy as heck.

I also say it’s worth taking a look into the Beretta m9a3. The grip contour is extremely comfortable.

CZs must suck so bad that they still dominate USPSA and IPSC Production and are still a significant player in Carry/Production Optics. Expect more of them now that the Shadow 2 Optics Ready makes weight.

In the meantime, Beretta is nowhere to be seen.......

CZs must suck so bad that they still dominate USPSA and IPSC Production and are still a significant player in Carry/Production Optics. Expect more of them now that the Shadow 2 Optics Ready makes weight.

In the meantime, Beretta is nowhere to be seen.......
You know as well as I do that true performance has little to do with the popularity of a gun in shooting sports

All it takes is 1 or 2 guys to win with a gun...... then EVERYONE is claiming that gun is the best gun in the world, and every competitive shooter runs out to buy the same gun.

I could give jerry miculek a nambu... and the next day you’d have competitive shooters raiding their grandfathers war trophies in search for one

Pistol selection is personal and subjective by its very nature. I think every firearms company produces a pistol that someone somewhere finds perfect for them. Someone next in line will hate that pistol. I favor Sig's and CZ's and a sprinkling of S&W's. Never had the chance to shoot a Beretta. (Note to self: Need to shoot a Beretta.). I've handled a bunch of others and like most, a number of those did not "fit" my hand or just did not do anything for me. Unless you pic a dog, what ever you select will likely suit you well. All of Sig's pistols are "polished" if you will. CZ's base models not so much. Hasn't stopped me from owning them. A 75B in whatever form is just something that I find special. Best trigger, no. A little rough in finish, yea. Nevertheless, they "fit" my hand and shoot great. Oh yea, I have never had a failure of any kind with any of my CZ's. Same goes for my Sig 226 and 365XL. I think the 226 and CZ's would run rocks if I could figure out how to load them.

You have been given some good advice. I would suggest that you try as many as you can and pick the one that suits you and your budget. Good luck and enjoy the process!

Have you looked at the sig 210? Great trigger, insanely accurate, close to your price point. Ive never heard any complaints about them.

the shadow 2 cajun gun works package is probably my favorite pistol.

and I have many 2011's by many different manufacturers. The S2 has the weight without the bulk and the bore axis is awesome.

bench

Price is way high. Even for a pristine example. Especially without box, papers, and accouterments.

Yep, its a bit pricey.....but nice revolver worth an offer with what the buyer is willing to pay.

Picked up a 19-4 recently from here and its a dream to shoot.