• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

COASTIE.308

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 1, 2010
seattle wa
I am looking into get a new polymer 45. I have been looking at the gen 4 Glock 21, m&p 45, and the xdm 45. I would like any one's feed back and experience with any of these or advice, knowledge.
thank you for your time
Mike

Re: new polymer 45

And this is in the Vintage Sniper Rifle section because ...??? ;-)

That minor mistake aside...what are your plans for said new polymer .45ACP? Comps? CCW? Range toy? Etc.

I think a small experimental unit of the nazi's known as HYDRA tested some polymer 45's but found them lacking compared to blue laser shooting weapons

Im very sorry for this ending up in the wrong section. Im not sure what section to move it to and how to get it to the right place.
I am just looking for a nice range toy and all around fun .45 to add to my collection.

I have the older Gen Glock 21 SF, I like it, however if I was going to do it all over again I would of bought the FNP tactical .45. For a polymer .45 I believe the FNP tactical is hard to beat. I know a lot of people who swear by the m&p .45, one thing that I thought was neat was that if you slam a new mag into it, the slide went forward automatically. Not sure if it is designed that way as it is not mentioned anywhere but makes mag changes a lot faster. I have never been a fan boy of the xd pistols, partly because of my experience with Croatian people. Conducted training with them and they were on the same level as Iraqis...dumb and lazy. They might be excellent craftsman, but my experience with them says go elsewhere. Just my 2 cents

This should go in the side arms section. You could ask a mod to move it. Btw, get an M&P 45, 4" barrel. I have one and love it. Had an XD but had several malfunctions due to the placement of the slide lock.

thank you for the info. how would i go about getting a hold of a mod so i can have this moved and im sorry for the improper placement of this topic. thanks mike

Go to a good store and look At all the various models. Be sure to ask if you can dry fire them too. I have almost bought a lot of pistols because they looked and felt really well, but the triggers where to crappy to buy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: frankythefly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have the older Gen Glock 21 SF, I like it, however if I was going to do it all over again I would of bought the FNP tactical .45. For a polymer .45 I believe the FNP tactical is hard to beat. I know a lot of people who swear by the m&p .45, one thing that I thought was neat was that if you slam a new mag into it, the slide went forward automatically. Not sure if it is designed that way as it is not mentioned anywhere but makes mag changes a lot faster. I have never been a fan boy of the xd pistols, partly because of my experience with Croatian people. Conducted training with them and they were on the same level as Iraqis...dumb and lazy. They might be excellent craftsman, but my experience with them says go elsewhere. Just my 2 cents </div></div>

They maybe be lazy but they make a helluva accurate pistol.

I carry a G21SF daily. Before that it was the original G21.

Never had a problem with either. They just work. They arenas accurate as a combat pistol needs to be and they will take a beating.

I do like the M&P45, but the factory trigger is just god awful. Supposedly an APEX trigger will fix that. Going to pickup an M&P9 for my wife soon so we will see.

The FN felt good and looks interesting, but it doesn't offer enough for me to warrant the price tag over the others. Maybe it would if i was going to attach a suppressor.

I would have to agree that the trigger on the M&P45 leaves a little to be desired. Other than that, I really like that gun. My agency has just made that handgun our standard issue. I actually got to shoot all of the canditates including Glock, Springfield, H&K, Sig and one more I don't remember. For me, the Glock and M&P were the top picks. The grip angle on the M&P works better than the Glock for me, but that is likely just a personal choice. I carried a .40 Glock for about 11 years with no issues. I didn't believe I would even want to change...until I shot the M&P in .45.

Good luck.

RB

I really like the 21sf and hk45 and 45c. Can't really go wrong between the two

i have a Gen 3 Glock 21 and absolutley love it. It is easy as hell to strip down and clean, and just as easy to put back together. There are many aftermarket options so you can make it exactly how you want it. It goes everywhere with me.

I have a Glock 21SF and will be getting a M&P45 as soon as I can find the model I want. Those two and the HK45 are the three poly .45s I would consider. Possibly the FN as well. Handle/shoot each of them and see which you like best.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coastie.308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">thank you for the info. how would i go about getting a hold of a mod so i can have this moved and im sorry for the improper placement of this topic. thanks mike </div></div>

Hopefully, this'll get moved now. If you like the polymer, look at the HK45.

I have three full size HK USPs in 45. They are accurate, reliable and will feed anything you put in them. The quality standard is high.

I hear complaints about the trigger, but mine are what I have come to expect from double action autos, or maybe a little better. I have had Glocks as well and like them too.

IMO- you can't go wrong with either. Buy your USPs used and save $250. In my experience, they don't hold their (somewhat high) new retail value as well as other pistols.

Plus 1 for the Glock. I have been in Law Enforement for a Decade and other than the days of me carrying STI and Kimber 1911's the Glock is the only Plastic gun I trust. Just my 2 cents, GYZ

You need to pick up all of them and dry fire them to figure out which feels best in your hands. Never shot a M&P 45, but I do own the M&P 40c. Nice gun but I agree that the trigger sucks. XDM45 will work if it feels good to you but for the money of the XDM I would buy a Glock21 and customize it. I have had a 21SF for about 5 years and it is accurate enough for me. After 3,000 rounds+ i have NEVER had one FTF,FTE, nothing. It goes everywhere with me for that exact reason. I trust it that every time I pull the trigger it will go boom. My opinion only.

Another thing that I like about the Glock like everyone has said before is it is reliable, like crazy reliable. I reload .45 and had some super light target loads for a 1911 from a long time back, these loads where pure garbage shooting somewhere around 450fps for a 230 grn bullet, anyhow the Glock ate them right up. Freaking amazing to me when I go from picky 1911s that only like certain loads and bullet types. Then I go to the Glock that is like my Basset hound, just eats anything you give it.

Mike,

From a very concerned American.... please don't take this the wrong way... but you are a fag....

Why, you ask? Because you want to go to polymer.

REMEMBER!
Lubricants will act differently in different polymer
weapons due to homosexuality. The solubilities
change relative to polymer compounds.
Most lubricants provide a combination of internal and
external effects. It is the balancing of these effects in
the formulation that will determine the ultimate and
overall effectiveness of the lubricant!

The XDM is a great gun. Feels very good in the hand and has a decent trigger

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I do like the M&P45, but the factory trigger is just god awful. Supposedly an APEX trigger will fix that. Going to pickup an M&P9 for my wife soon so we will see.
</div></div>

I just installed the Apex DCAEK & RAM module for a customer and that pistol now has the nicest trigger I've felt on any polymer framed pistol. If I still owned an M&P I would have ordered those parts for mine within minutes of completing that install.

I like the M&P. I've got a 4.5" (with extra threaded barrel) and plan to get a 4" compact so I can swap slides around.

I've also got an XD 45c. It is a good gun and other than a mag issue hasn't caused me any grief in a couple thousand rounds. I still carry it on occasion.

Of the two I'd suggest the M&P.

I've been carrying a gen3 Glock 21 on duty for 5+ years now. Also bought a personal one and put many thousands of rounds through each. I shoot them well enough, and they ALWAYS go bang, but I never have cared for the feel of them.

Picked up a M&P 45 recently after falling in love with the feel of it. It is a really nice piece... but I don't think I'll be keeping it. The trigger reset really sucks (I'm just too used to Glocks in that respect I guess), the slide auto-forwards when you forcefully seat a new mag, and my thumb has a tendency to hit the slide release under recoil, often keeping the slide from locking back when empty. It shoots nice otherwise, and I really do think it's a *nicer* gun than the Glock, just not for me.

I picked up a gen4 Glock 21 a couple of nights ago and I really like it. The reduced grip size and new texture really has addressed much of my grumblings about the gen3 G21 grip. I'm still not a huge fan of the grip angle, but dammit they just work.

... the thing about it, for me, there is just absolutely nothing sexy about a Glock, at all. I don't get excited about them except for when I'm shooting them, simply because they perform so well. They're just boring. The M&P 45 on the other hand, man I think that thing looks nice, feels nice, etc, I just didn't take to it. I would try both if you can and see what works for you!

The Glock has one thing over the others... They have proven them selves time and time again. Out of all the ones mentioned, Glock has the best reliability out of the bunch. Sound like an easy choice to me. I did not like them at first I will admit. I thought about what I really wanted in a handgun and went from there. Sure I went through the 1911 phase but got sick of those fancy paper weights real quick. I like a gun that just plain runs.

Love my G21. Offers more capacity, shorter trigger reset, proven history, parts out the wazoo. The trigger reset is a big thing to me, but I'm used to Glocks. YMMV

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sw99</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Glock has one thing over the others... They have proven them selves time and time again. Out of all the ones mentioned, Glock has the best reliability out of the bunch. Sound like an easy choice to me. I did not like them at first I will admit. I thought about what I really wanted in a handgun and went from there. Sure I went through the 1911 phase but got sick of those fancy paper weights real quick. I like a gun that just plain runs. </div></div>

My experience is the H&K is AT LEAST as reliable as the Glock. In the time I managed an indoor range, I saw fewer problems with H&Ks thann Glocks. Not a fanboi, just saying. Obivously, the price tag SUCKS.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Glocks do break. Every serious Glock shooter I know personally has at least broken the trigger spring. I've also seen take down lever springs break to. Good luck replacing that yourself. The trigger spring at least can be replaced by most people.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nw1911guy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I've said it before and I'll say it again, Glocks do break. </div></div>

I don't care what make/model/etc you are talking about.. it's a machine with parts.. they break.. that is fact.. that shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. Proper care and maintenance goes a long way to making things last, fail to do so and your odds of a failure go up substantially.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hawk45</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nw1911guy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I've said it before and I'll say it again, Glocks do break. </div></div>

I don't care what make/model/etc you are talking about.. it's a machine with parts.. they break.. that is fact.. that shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. Proper care and maintenance goes a long way to making things last, fail to do so and your odds of a failure go up substantially. </div></div>

Bravo for getting it, seriously. There in lies my complaint. Most people treat Glocks as though they're some magical never breaks gun. Therefore, they shoot the piss out of them and never maintain them. Then they act all shocked when it fails. It's akin to driving a car and never putting oil in it. Sadly, I don't think the take down spring is considered a service item on a Glock and even if it were, I can't imagine it being an easy fix. Maybe a Glock armorer could chime in on that. Honestly, the only gun I've consistently seen go thousands and thousands of rounds and need next to no maintenance is the H&K. Sure some of the 1911s will do it with the occasional spring replacement. I've told people repeatedly, if you shoot a Glock lots (thousands of rounds per year here), then replace the springs once a year. Springs are cheap.

xdm 45
Comes out of the box working, good accuracy and stays that way with no suprises. Trigger is good too and gets even better as it breaks in. A good dollar value and reliable.
But, its about how it feels in your hand. Good thing about buying a plastic gun is most big shops with indoor ranges have them all for you to put in your hand and try.

Good Luck
DS

OP- all three that you mentioned will be reliable and GTG. It would come down to personal preference (frame size, grip angle, balance, etc). I would however suggest a gen 3 glock instead of gen 4, but then again, that’s just my preference. Do you have a range nearby where you can test drive them?

Truly the only choice in my humble opinion is the HK45/HK45c, they are rock solid and dependable. Just my $.02

GW36

My vote would be for the M&P. All of the pistols you listed in my opinion are of the same quality. I prefer the way that the M&P feels in my hands as opposed to the other choices.

Having fired all three, I personally feel that the M&P is smoother, but ask 10 people get 10 different answers.

I would try to go to a shop that has all three in stock and finger f$#%k them to death. They all have different contours and feel differently in the hand.

They all have different features as well. Which features on the pistol would you like the most? I'll let you do your own comparison research on that but if you PM me I'd be willing to go over the major feature differences.

I've seen some people promote the FN45 in above posts as well. I would throw that on into the mix too. Great quality pistol with great features, just doesn't fit me.