• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New, possibly "problematic" barrel

Don't forget about Compass Lake Engineering.
They will spin up a barrel that will make all of your other barrels feel bad and will make it the way you want it - fluting, threading, etc..

Reactions: Eagle1899
Compass lake will make you feel all warm and fuzzy. But theyre prices have gone up. Skip the criterion and Douglas route. Swing for the fences. And they will make you whatever you want.

Now in my experience keystone accuracy will make you a barrel that outshoots a compass lake but it was pricey. Compass lake is comparable in price as of late.

I actually did reach out to Compass Lake a while back. The lead time was 12 weeks but can't remember what blank they were using. I think my options pushed it to over $700. Checking out Keystone now.

Just curious, why don't we like McGowen?

I remember they used to be GTG here years ago. What happened?

Just curious, why don't we like McGowen?

I remember they used to be GTG here years ago. What happened?
The pictures from the OP pretty much sum it up, some terrible machine work and then put that same returned barrel up for sale.

FWIW I had a 10/22 barrel go double what they said for expected delivery with no contact. Sent them an email politely asking for an update on status, got a shipping notice a few weeks later and what arrived had a shit finishing job on the breech and chamber. Chamber was so rough it wouldn't extract.

If the OP had started this with “Hey, I got this Craddock/White Oak/Compass Lake barrel that has some apparent issues on a Black Friday deal. Should I put them on Blast?” The responses would be a resounding “No! Delete this thread. Contact the maker and let them make this right. Everyone lets one slip through QC on occasion. It’s a total DB move to bring this to a public forum before talking to the maker.” But, because the OP left the maker out of the discussion, it’s all “you have seen their work. Get your money back. Do a charge back. Post up the maker so we can all put them on blast.”

Start by contacting the maker/vendor and politely but firmly express your concerns and desire to return the barrel. You already have one good barrel from them. Which one was the fluke? Escalate as necessary.
They had their chance to make this right. Fuck them.

Ok...barrel number 2 arrived Monday. Let's just say I'm not 100% relieved by the condition of the new barrel.

The good.
-The crown looks good, no issues, with a caveat.

The bad.
-The rifling grooves at the chamber don't all start at the same point, yet again. It's like the reamer wasn't perfectly square when cutting the chamber. So some grooves start higher up than others. I scope my $200 Faxon and they all start at the same point.

-The threading is still extremely sharp. I had a 5/8" muzzle device this time and it threads right on. But still...I look at every other barrel I own (like seven?) and they're all smooth and well cut. Total fuckery.

-With my VSeven upper and Faxon barrel, it was an interference fit. I had to freeze the barrel and heat the receiver. With the McGowan, it is in no way shape or form an interference fit. Slides right in with zero effort. I've ordered shim material and the green loctite goop to improve that little detail.

Here's the caveat on the crown. There's actually a small nick/scratch on the face that almost reaches the crown. It does not touch the crown itself so it's fine. It's very slight and maybe I'm being too picky, but after writing an explicit note on all the issues, you'd think they'd take better care.

Threads. My muzzle device was a bit dirty so the first half of the threads on the barrel look worse than they really are. Still unacceptable though.

Rifling at the chamber. Looks good.

Ok, not so good.

No rhyme or reason.

I'm going to contact them again, inform them of the issues before I install it. Have to wait for a few parts to come in first anyway. But I'm inclined to shoot it at this point and if it doesn't group, it'll be going back for a refund.

Seriously. I have a suppressor muzzle device coming in next week and I'll need to check to make sure it's concentric. I did a go gauge test and that, at least, passed.

Those threads are completely unacceptable! I would swallow the bullet and send the barrel to someone who has a clue and cut, crown, and thread the muzzle, and touch up the chamber.

Reactions: E. Bryant
Those threads are completely unacceptable! I would swallow the bullet and send the barrel to someone who has a clue and cut, crown, and thread the muzzle, and touch up the chamber.
I'm not sure anyone would touch it with a 10ft. poll plus any work they did would void my "warranty". They do come with an accuracy guarantee but that would be out the window as well. Maybe I could probably just get a thread chaser and clean them up myself. The muzzle device I have on hand threads on just fine.

I dunno...if someone could say whether the unequal rifling starts from the chamber are or are not an issue I'd have a better idea of what to do. I can't imagine it helps accuracy and may make it a finicky barrel, just the opposite of what I'm looking for. I obviously need to call them and discuss.

The muzzle threads look like a high school kid did them in a shop class with the dullest lathe bit in the tool box.
I'd check to see what McGowen wants you to shoot for ammo for their guarantee.
Odds are they will want you to shoot FGGM in the barrel to eliminate that as a variable.
I'd skip the Green locktite and the shims for now, unless McGowen says they want you to use it.
I'd anticipate them owning that barrel again shortly.

It might just be a shooter in spite of how the machine wok looks. Give it a fair shake until proven otherwise.

I didn't take pictures of the first barrel.
IMG_1066.JPGIMG_1073.JPG
^^^^^^^Replacement barrel^^^^^^^^
^20230109_170913.jpg20230109_165006.jpg20230109_165101.jpg
Next replacement barrel^^^^^^^^^^^ Still loose tenon threads but nothing like the first replacement. I would have to measure these rather than just look at them to know they are bad. I re-crowned it and it still shoots like dog shit.

Last edited:
Damn, those threads :( I'm pretty sure I could do better with just a Dremel.

I considered them for a barrel, but glad I went with X-Caliber barrels just down the road. Very happy with the barrel I got from X-Cal. You might want to check them out.

It's clear they have very little pride in their workmanship, sending you two barrels that look like shit. I would have contacted my credit card for a charge back one minute after looking at that.

I ended up sending the barrel back today for a refund. They were nice about it on the phone, no questions asked. I just decided I didn't want to risk putting an expensive silencer on the end or working through developing a load on what might not be an accurate barrel. Just too many strikes against it. I really think there's something going on there, sadly, beyond their control. Just a sense I got. I know some have a "fuck-em" attitude but knowing they've produced a solid product in the past, I hate to see it.

Arc Light, thanks for the tip. I've checked out their barrels in the past but they were a bit more than I wanted to spend. Lucky for me, they're having a President's Day sale and I was able to spec out an identical barrel for the same amount of cash and get something in 5R rifling along with the 5/8-24 threaded end. I'll be sending them a JP and RCA bolt for their accuracy guarantee.

Full circle. My X-Caliber barrel arrived today and it's absolutely perfect. Not a single flaw inside or out. All the lands run to the chamber, the crown is perfect as is the gas port. Interference fit with my VSeven upper as well which is an added bonus. I have no doubt it'll shoot. I had it headspaced to my JP bolt so we should be good to go!

Full circle. My X-Caliber barrel arrived today and it's absolutely perfect. Not a single flaw inside or out. All the lands run to the chamber, the crown is perfect as is the gas port. Interference fit with my VSeven upper as well which is an added bonus. I have no doubt it'll shoot. I had it headspaced to my JP bolt so we should be good to go!
Now install it and go shoot it !!!
We want to see you posting happy tiny 5 shot groups with it.

Rifle's assembled and I managed to make it to the range after work and before they closed. I'm doing their recommended break-in procedure (I know, I know) so I only had a total of 15 rounds fired and it went slow. Effing tedious. Towards the end I shot five in a row, a 69gr. Sierra, one of the first hand loads I did some time back. I figured it was better than off the shelf Flocci 62grain.

Unfortunately, my entire target came undone (indoor range) so they threw a new piece of cardboard backing and the only target they had back there which was a 100 yard sight in target, not the precision target I'd been using. Center is about as big as a quarter. I sent the target out 100 yards and after a few more break in rounds, I loaded up and fired off five rounds in less than 10 seconds and the grouping wasn't half bad. Two went through the same hole (ignore the one with the X through it as that was a previous break-in single round). I was using a 1-8X and if I'd had a more precise aiming point and a little more patience, I could definitely shrink the group. Given the barrel isn't close to being broken in, and I haven't loaded a round for it or done any testing, I have not doubt it'll be a great barrel.

If anyone has a good recommendation for an "all in one" copper/carbon cleaner, I'm all ears. I use C4 but it's separate parts for carbon and copper which gets a bit time consuming. The first two shots produced a lot of copper but it fell off quickly from there which was good to see. I'll scope the barrel tomorrow and then give it a thorough cleaning and head back to the range when I have time to finish breaking it in.

Rifle's assembled and I managed to make it to the range after work and before they closed. I'm doing their recommended break-in procedure (I know, I know) so I only had a total of 15 rounds fired and it went slow. Effing tedious. Towards the end I shot five in a row, a 69gr. Sierra, one of the first hand loads I did some time back. I figured it was better than off the shelf Flocci 62grain.

Unfortunately, my entire target came undone (indoor range) so they threw a new piece of cardboard backing and the only target they had back there which was a 100 yard sight in target, not the precision target I'd been using. Center is about as big as a quarter. I sent the target out 100 yards and after a few more break in rounds, I loaded up and fired off five rounds in less than 10 seconds and the grouping wasn't half bad. Two went through the same hole (ignore the one with the X through it as that was a previous break-in single round). I was using a 1-8X and if I'd had a more precise aiming point and a little more patience, I could definitely shrink the group. Given the barrel isn't close to being broken in, and I haven't loaded a round for it or done any testing, I have not doubt it'll be a great barrel.

If anyone has a good recommendation for an "all in one" copper/carbon cleaner, I'm all ears. I use C4 but it's separate parts for carbon and copper which gets a bit time consuming. The first two shots produced a lot of copper but it fell off quickly from there which was good to see. I'll scope the barrel tomorrow and then give it a thorough cleaning and head back to the range when I have time to finish breaking it in.

ES335?

I'm wondering if they start the new guys on the AR barrel line?

I've ordered and worn out a bunch of McGowan and they never looked like that all, but they were remage.

Oddly the 2 x-calibers I've installed, 1 had the muzzle thread cut too large and the other had the chamber not fully cut.

I'd order a custom from white oak again. Their 6mm Hagar has been damned accurate for me.

Bore Tech Eliminator. Carbon and copper. Or Patch Out.

Went back to the range today and finished breaking in the barrel. Shot three rounds, cleaned the barrel, then shot five rounds and cleaned the barrel one last time. Almost no copper. Let's do this.

I then shot ten rounds to foul in the barrel and proceeded to try to print my first group of five shots of Sierra 69 grain pills over H335. These were loaded years ago for the same gun/bolt, different barrel so likely less than optimal plus I've gained a lot of experience in the meantime.

Was looking great through four shots and on the fifth, got nothing but a click. Yep, just four rounds were left and the bolt didn't lock back! I loaded one more round in the mag and of course it was a "flyer". Still, I'll take it.

Being at an indoor range, the mirage off the suppressor gets bad quickly. I did another five shot group but wasn't quite as tight. Not bad or a non-optimized round and using a 1-8X scope. At this point I have about 30 rounds through the barrel.

I then shot Hornady VMAX 60 grain pills that I hand-loaded for the last barrel, again over H335. I suspect the barrel is going to like heavier bullets with a 1:7 twist but they weren't as bad as I thought they'd be. The one with the green X was from sighting in the scope earlier as I'd run out of elevation for whatever reason and had to rotate the cap but accidentally rotated the turret itself so I was way off initially.

At this point I'm not only happy but excited to do a bit of testing and optimize a round for this barrel. After the 1st round of break-in and cleaning the barrel back down to the metal, the only thing I noticed was a button of copper before the gas port (maybe it was after, not sure). Judging by the results, it's not affecting accuracy. I'll keep an eye on it.

Reactions: thebeav