• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New progress in the fight against AIDS.

Sebben

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2011
Snellville, GA
A few of my EMT buddies were talking about this. I sure hope it works.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"Scientists at Johns Hopkins University say that they’ve developed a method that strips the AIDS virus of its deceptive abilities and could potentially allow the human body to fight off the disease. The research, published in the journal Blood, is a tantalizing breakthrough that researchers hope could someday lead to an effective vaccine against the disease, which kills about 1.8 million people every year.

The new research is based on how the virus disguises itself from the human immune system and disrupts that system’s ability to communicate effectively. The virus accomplishes this by stealing cholesterol from the “first responder” cells called plasmacytoid dendritic cells (pDCs). These cells normally signal T-cells, the body’s heavy artillery, to defeat invaders. Instead, the AIDS virus “reprograms” pDCs to become hyperactive, which in inhibits the body’s ability to fight off the virus.

This new technique removes that cholesterol envelope from the virus, leaving the virus more or less defenseless. Researchers say that in their laboratory experiments, when the cholesterol shield is removed, the immune system attacks and neutralizes the diseases as if it were any other foreign body. It should be noted that the type of cholesterol used by the virus and targeted by the researchers is different than the “bad” cholesterol that causes heart problems.

Unfortunately, this research is still very new. So far, no animal or human testing has been performed — a crucial step in determining the efficacy of this treatment. It’s worth noting, how some commentors on Reddit already have, that AIDS is a notoriously difficult disease that has resisted attempts at developing a vaccine. However, this treatment is different as it does not attempt to bolster the T-cells as most other potential vaccines have. Instead, scientists hope to combat AIDS at the point where it first engages the human immune system, before it can degrade the body’s defenses.

Given that the research is so new and the uncertainty about how it will work once in a living organism is great, grains of salt are certainly needed. However, the successes claimed by the research are sure to bolster hopes that AIDS could one day join the annals of vanquished diseases."</div></div>

Re: New progress in the fight against AIDS.

That would be awesome. I often wonder how interested researchers are in curing diseases versus treating the symptoms forever, and this news is reassuring.

If I had it to do all over again, I would have gone into bio-engineering. It's so interesting.

Sooooo.... that means i still have to wear a jimmy for those lonely nights of searching for "companionship". Well good things come to those who wait, now if you'll excuse i think i see a trashy looking women in need of transport to the nearest street corner for a talk with a very funny looking man who wears very odd clothing and has a cane but can clearly walk fine.

that is interesting, I wonder if AIDS will be considered to be none other than a minor thing in my lifetime.

The disguiseing ability of the HIV stops the T, B, and NK cells from making holes in the foreign cells and filling them with NaCl until they die. T and B cells are 'memory' cells that follow a path to the foreign cells to destroy them. NK cells are 'Non Specific Killers' and just go after foreign cells whenever they locate them. The 'cure' to the HIV will be when the NK cells can locate, close with, and destroy the HIV cells, and the T&B phagocyte cells can modify to memorize the threat. When T&B can hold memory and NK can locate and destroy, only then will the HIV be a non issue. No go take a break and let your Lymph system do it's daily 3L fill up in your system so you can hold the rest of the world at bay!