• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

new project in development , 408CT or 460Steyr ?

Pinco Palla

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 15, 2002
Italy
I'm developing a new long range sniper rifle project but I'm in dubt about which caliber 'll fit better my needs , infact my experience stops at the 338Lm.

The .50 cal is not allowed in civvies hands over here , so I'm considering just two calibers , the 408CT and the 460Steyr .

My goal is to be able to hit targets at 2.000,00 meters and beyond and , beside from all the infos I can get on the internet I'd like to have some fresh and direct from already experienced fellow SH shooters , any head up please ?

Appreciated ,
good shooting,
PP out

Re: new project in development , 408CT or 460Steyr ?

I agree the 375 CT is growing in positive results. Some people have also had a good degree of success with the .416 Barrett and that gets you close to the .50BMG, with surplus cases, the distance you want and needed weight and velocity. Look into it.

Yup, definitely go for the .375CT. You can get brass and bullets from Jamison and dies from CH4D. Lawton can build you a .375 that'll be good to at least 2000 meters.

.460 Steyr will require a larger, heavier rifle and more work making the ammo (brass is near impossible to get to spec, so you have to neck down and fire form BMG).

Mates ,

tnx for your head ups but unfortunately neither the 375CT or the 416Barrett are calibers allowed over here , so my question above remain still valid .....

PP out

They will allow 408CT but not 375CT?

Do a 460 Steyr and give us a range report!

Steve

Wow, and I thought California gun laws were bad
frown.gif

I would choose .408 over the .460 Steyr. The .408 will give you better ELR performance for about the same price and it's components are more readily available.

Yep , the 408CT & 460Steyr are allowed but the 375CT & 416Barrett are not , do not ask me why because there are tons of shitty decisions taken without any reason here .....

DogTown ,
I agree abt the 408CT price and components , just wanted to have some first hand feebacks/comparing the performances of the two big bore calibers though .

PP out

Absolutely the 408 CT. There are more bullets available now than when I 1st started. The best IMO ARE THE CT solids for accuracy. Have shot them (sorted and hand loaded) out to 2600 yds with good results. Lawton (406-683-2388)can get you everything you need.

Roger that , tnx for yr replies ,
PP out

Maurizio,

I have positive signs of life
smile.gif
and all is well.

On the 460 vs the 408. From your point of view, I'd say it's more an issue of logistics. For the sake of this discussion, let's say that both cartridges are readily available and will continue to be so. IF, one is more available than the other, from a logistical standpoint, i'd go with THE MORE AVAILABLE ROUND.

Now, which cartridge has ballistic superiority.

I define maximum effective range as the distance that the round begins to transition to subsonic flight. The 408 has 300 yards more supersonic range than does the 460 steyr. That gives the edge to the 408. Recoil and systems management is easier with the 408, smaller case, better performance.

Just my opinion, but based on availability and supersonic range.

Re: new project in development , 408CT or 460Steyr

T50,

glad to know you are in great shape my friend
wink.gif
, roger that about the 408CT , that'll be my caliber .

PP out

I'm working on a .460 Steyr built.

Barnard GP action, Border barrel, and a home made aluminium stock. Will be ready by the end of this year.

I think the .460 is balistically better than the .408, especialy if you use the GS Custom bullets. Better BC, and I expect higher muzzle velocity.

BUT the rifle is mucho heavy, and I think the recoil will be close to the .50 BMG.
Price of the manufactured Steyr ammo is prohibitive ( 21 € per round in France ), and forming brass from .50 BMG ( if allowed by your regulation ) is some work !

The thing with all of those rounds based on the BMG is that they require a big, heavy rifle and can be rather unpleasant to shoot. The .408 being reasonably scaled down from the BMG requires less mass and bulk from the rifle and is about as pleasant as a .338LM to shoot. That of course is really just my opinion though
wink.gif

Pinco,i would go with the 460 Steyr.
I'm working on a new wildcat based on the Barret 416 case.416/458 IMP. just waiting on the reamer now.
Bat 2` action ,McMillan stock and PacNOr Super match stainless 31`barrel.

But you should really consider a 408 ,if you are able to get the components.

Good Luck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Of the 2 I'd pick 375CT,LOL

Steve </div></div>

1+. I am in the process of saving up the bucks for that also.