• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New PRS gear questions

trevor1030

Private
Minuteman
Jan 7, 2020
Hi all just bought a 6mm CM ba comp from masterpiece arms and a leupold mk5 5-25,

I was curious what else I should invest in for PRS competitions and I had a few questions to those who have a masterpiece arms rifle

- what scope lens covers are the correct size for the mk5? (I was looking at the alumina rings front and back)
- with the MA BA comp should I get a magwell blocker?
- and what magazines would work well with the MA chassis? My brother told me that he had a few jams with some generic metal ones even after modifying the feed lips.
- what other things should I add to my gear bag besides ammo and the obvious stuff?

Thanks

get scope caps from aadmount or MKM
no. just balance the rifle correctly
accurate, AICS, MDT. if he gets jams he 99% needs to adjuct the lips...but its a curtis so lol tbd
wtf do you think is obvious?

A good arca rail attached bipod that offers a lot of flexibility. For reliable mags, hard to beat accurate aics for reliability. Although they're long, and can cause issues at bag height on large props.
Get your rifle balanced on a bag, this may require weight out front on the forend, a bipod on a spigot mount would help. The previous ag shmedium heavy fill recommendation is spot on, excellent choice for prop bag and works well for rear support prone.

FYI - I tend to break scope caps on props so I tend to leave them off

Reactions: Fig
- what scope lens covers are the correct size for the mk5? (I was looking at the alumina rings front and back)
- with the MA BA comp should I get a magwell blocker?
- and what magazines would work well with the MA chassis? My brother told me that he had a few jams with some generic metal ones even after modifying the feed lips.
- what other things should I add to my gear bag besides ammo and the obvious stuff?
1- When I use one I use the Vortex defenders, I rarely use them through unless I'm walking up to a stage to shoot and its during a down pour. otherwise the rifle stays covered with a Rifle Guardian from Cole TAC and this prevents lens fogging for the most part in wet conditions.

When it doesn't and you get fogging or dust on your lens a Giottos Rocket Air blaster will save the day, especially when your on the clock.
These can be found on amazon

2- No, chamber flags only, I prefer Short Action Precision model

3- Accuracy International is best, I've also had good luck MDT and Mag Pul, MDT has a great video on adjusting feed lips on youtube, I'd suggest you give it a view.

Andy (in the above video) is a great instructor too, his training class is excellent. I highly recommend getting some formal training. https://riflemanspath.com/

4- Really the sky is the limit, but a few of the items would be a bipod, tripod, 12-15x Bino's, 4dof or AB ballistic app or the kestrel unit (you will want a Kestrel either way), Level (I prefer the LRI units), support bag (Armageddon Gear game changer or Wiebad fortune cookie) and a backpack to put all you stuff in as you move about throughout the day.

speaking of carrying things this is a must have in my book...

and a tool kit, these are match savers

Last edited:
OBi link System = Bow Spider for your PRS gear

The only thing I will say is that Bow Spider is the perfect solution to carrying your bow (a big awkward thing with stabbies on it) in the back country that keeps it out of the way on the trail, but still allows fast deployment like no other. For me this was a game changer, and one of the most useful pieces of geedunk gear I've ever bought. Having both hands free when traversing or scrambling up and down is huge.

Fast deployment in PRS, without messing with bags, is nice, but it's not like you don't have any time between stages or might miss a beast because your tripod is stowed in a pack.

That said, great idea, and looks kewl.

1. Kestrel Elite 5700
2. Binos + Tripod
+1 on these two. I love my Kestrel 5700 w/ Applied Ballistics as I hate my smart phone.

I also think you need a good backpack. Your ruck is the foundation of your operations in the field. Ruck you love and understand = much more pleasure and hits at faster speeds.

Plus you need a good ammunition management system. I have always enjoyed TAB Gear Bullet Binder, but lots of management systems work.

So, I bought the same rifle in January, and I have some suggestions.

1. Go ahead and order your next barrel. I have mine on the way already. I shot 5 matches so far this year, and with those matches and limited training, I will make it through the Kahles cup next month and my barrel will be gone. (I'm at 1,210 rounds right now). If you shoot a match a month, and a little practice in between, and you're shooting a 6creed, you'll go through 3 barrels a year, maybe 4, so just go ahead and get one on the way. When you order your next barrel, get it in 1.20 straight, (that's the largest that will fit that chasis without grinding on it.

2. Get some weights. You will not believe how much difference it will make. My buddy made me some weights that also function like baker wings, and widen my forend. I hit significantly more targets now than I did without them, and also stay on target better when cycling.

3. Adjust that factory trigger way down, or replace it. Mine came from the factory at somewhere near 3.5lbs. Both trigger options are really good, but get them set about as low as you can right out of the gate, or buy a better trigger.

4. Play with that adjustable magazine tension screw until your mags fit snug, but not tight. If you don't, when you lean into a bag, they will not cycle. Even with it adjusted, you may have trouble when you lean into a bag. A quality barricade stop is the real solution to this problem, but the adjustment will help.

5. Oil the lugs on that bolt and sit down in front of the TV and run it a few thousand times. Oil it every few minutes and run it until it smoothes out. My action is like butter now, feels better than actions that cost twice as much, but it took cycling it a thousand times to get there.

6. MPA sells these little ball bearing and spring pairs that go into the adjustment wheel for the adjustable cheek piece. Just go ahead and order 3 or 4 sets now. You're going to lose them. The system is stupid beyond belief. You have to remove that cheek piece every time you clean your barrel, and they are tiny and dissappear when you drop them, and you will drop them.

7. Begin casually looking at/ feeling other chasis or stocks. You'll want to replace that thing pretty soon. People talk a lot of trash about curtis actions, but mine is spectacular. My barrel was great, Very accurate, but not heavy enough, and the chasis will get you started just fine, but you'll outgrow it quickly. It's just not great, it's good, but not great. I went to an mdt acc and I love it. You may want a manners or a foundation, or any of the dozen chasis options, but you likely won't stay with that BA comp for long.

I'll put more info in another post. This is getting long.

Reactions: 338dude
So, I bought the same rifle in January, and I have some suggestions.

1. Go ahead and order your next barrel. I have mine on the way already. I shot 5 matches so far this year, and with those matches and limited training, I will make it through the Kahles cup next month and my barrel will be gone. (I'm at 1,210 rounds right now). If you shoot a match a month, and a little practice in between, and you're shooting a 6creed, you'll go through 3 barrels a year, maybe 4, so just go ahead and get one on the way. When you order your next barrel, get it in 1.20 straight, (that's the largest that will fit that chasis without grinding on it.

2. Get some weights. You will not believe how much difference it will make. My buddy made me some weights that also function like baker wings, and widen my forend. I hit significantly more targets now than I did without them, and also stay on target better when cycling.

3. Adjust that factory trigger way down, or replace it. Mine came from the factory at somewhere near 3.5lbs. Both trigger options are really good, but get them set about as low as you can right out of the gate, or buy a better trigger.

4. Play with that adjustable magazine tension screw until your mags fit snug, but not tight. If you don't, when you lean into a bag, they will not cycle. Even with it adjusted, you may have trouble when you lean into a bag. A quality barricade stop is the real solution to this problem, but the adjustment will help.

5. Oil the lugs on that bolt and sit down in front of the TV and run it a few thousand times. Oil it every few minutes and run it until it smoothes out. My action is like butter now, feels better than actions that cost twice as much, but it took cycling it a thousand times to get there.

6. MPA sells these little ball bearing and spring pairs that go into the adjustment wheel for the adjustable cheek piece. Just go ahead and order 3 or 4 sets now. You're going to lose them. The system is stupid beyond belief. You have to remove that cheek piece every time you clean your barrel, and they are tiny and dissappear when you drop them, and you will drop them.

7. Begin casually looking at/ feeling other chasis or stocks. You'll want to replace that thing pretty soon. People talk a lot of trash about curtis actions, but mine is spectacular. My barrel was great, Very accurate, but not heavy enough, and the chasis will get you started just fine, but you'll outgrow it quickly. It's just not great, it's good, but not great. I went to an mdt acc and I love it. You may want a manners or a foundation, or any of the dozen chasis options, but you likely won't stay with that BA comp for long.

I'll put more info in another post. This is getting long.
Replacing the chassis? Every prs event I go to , all I see if comp ba chassis.

For a new prs shooter, I’d say get a game changer, good binos, hard data, a rear bag, bipod, and some type of data holder attached to your scope. That should keep you in the game for a long time until you want/need to upgrade.

Replacing the chassis? Every prs event I go to , all I see if comp ba chassis.

For a new prs shooter, I’d say get a game changer, good binos, hard data, a rear bag, bipod, and some type of data holder attached to your scope. That should keep you in the game for a long time until you want/need to upgrade.
Yep, they are everywhere. It's the Chevy S10 of the prs world. Almost everyone starts with one, and there are a whole bunch of them sitting in closets on backup rifles. If you'll pay attention to the classifieds, there are about 3 a day posted for sale here. It's a fine chasis to get going, but I think most people will see it's shortcomings after a few matches and will replace it as their finances allow. You won't see anyone consistently placing top 25 shooting one.

Yep, they are everywhere. It's the Chevy S10 of the prs world. Almost everyone starts with one, and there are a whole bunch of them sitting in closets on backup rifles. If you'll pay attention to the classifieds, there are about 3 a day posted for sale here. It's a fine chasis to get going, but I think most people will see it's shortcomings after a few matches and will replace it as their finances allow. You won't see anyone consistently placing top 25 shooting one.
Chad Heckler ran a ba comp 4-5 years straight before changing to MDT this winter.

Chad Heckler ran a ba comp 4-5 years straight before changing to MDT this winter.
Never heard of him. I'm sure he's great. I'm not implying that the chasis is a handicap, just that if you're going to take this seriously, there are better options readily available.

Schmedium or pint size heavy fill bag- go to a match and ask to run stages with others to see what you prefer. I've used both, both are great.

Kestrel. These things are expensive and honestly difficult to learn to use, but they just work. Have someone help you set it up (I still have to have my buddy help me).

Weights. Balance that rifle. Your natural point of aim is much easier to maintain with a rifle that balances on a prop. Recoil management tends to be better too.

Good bipod. I prefer the Atlas Cal. Sturdy, doesnt pan. Get either an arca clamp or a rrs combo pic/arca clamp for it.

Dope cards and card holder. I like the Coletac cheat sheet. I bought extra blank cards and velcro on Amazon. I use yellow frog tape over the card so I can peel off at the end of a match instead of trying to remove marker from the card.

I use ARC mags. I shoot 6gt. The arc mags have worked best for me.

For scope covers I've only used Tenebrex, they've been great.

A good tripod and set of 15x binos are great. I spend a lot of the day spotting. Learn a lot seeing whats happening down range.

Bring a notebook and pen. Take notes after each stage. What did you suck at? Find a friendly good shooter and ask for advice.

Set up a dryfire range at your house. DFAT is a great system. I also have buddies who just put dots in their basement or backyard. Find a prop and start practicing. Put the time in breaking things down into small parts to focus on. Then do it more and more.

If you are brand new, ASK ALL THE QUESTIONS. I was so hesitant to ask for help and advice for the first year and a half I started this sport. No reason to be that way. Most dudes will tell you all of their secrets. Listen to what they tell you and try to apply it. Somethings you'll get right away, somethings you'll have to hear 3 or 4 times before you get it and start to apply.

Last edited: