• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Best PRS comp scope under 2000$?

trevor1030

Private
Minuteman
Jan 7, 2020
Hi all just recently pulled a trigger on a 6 CM masterpiece arms awaiting for it to be built. I’ve been looking at glass and I am torn somewhat. I am not exactly sure what I should be looking for PRS matches my guess was the Nightforce nx8 2.5-20 FFP, but I’m open to other optics If anyone has experience or recommend me a better option. My budget would be around 2000$.

Thanks in advance

Burris xtr pro or leupold mark 5.

Both can be found under 2k, check out Liberty Optics for the Burris.

To me, the biggest deciding factor is the reticle. Reticles are a personal preference so look at them and decide which one makes the most sense to you. I run Burris pro’s with the scr 2 1/4 reticle and my friend runs the mark 5hd with the PR2 reticle. Both scopes are excellent but the SCR 2 1/4 makes more sense to my brain the the PR2 better for my friend.

Burris xtr pro or leupold mark 5.

Both can be found under 2k, check out Liberty Optics for the Burris.

To me, the biggest deciding factor is the reticle. Reticles are a personal preference so look at them and decide which one makes the most sense to you. I run Burris pro’s with the scr 2 1/4 reticle and my friend runs the mark 5hd with the PR2 reticle. Both scopes are excellent but the SCR 2 1/4 makes more sense to my brain the the PR2 better for my friend.
Yea to be honest I’ve only ever owned a couple Nightforce and a vortex awhile back. I’ve had leupold on my watchlist. Any specific magnification you would recommend for a PRS shooter with 6cm?

I like the 5-30 range on the Burris or 5-25 on the leupold. I haven’t found a need for higher magnification than that.

I usually shoot most stages with my scope set around 15 power, and sometimes up into the low 20’s. I only use max power for zeroing.

No to MOA. Go Mil or you will be selling that MOA to buy a Mil after a few matches. Life in PRS will be easier as most in that world speak that language.
+1 for the MK5 or Burris Pro. I have both. Very competitive with each other. The Burris gives a wider field of view which means you can run a little higher power and still have enough FOV to acquire multiple targets downrange.

Definitely skip the MOA, you will loose money selling it and transitioning to mils pretty quickly. They both will work but learning mils which is very easy, actually easier than MOA once you grasp it and everyone uses mils atleast at all the matches I have been using.

Typically it’s a new shooter that is using MOA because that’s what they have on their hunting rifle and then it’s very difficult for people to help them at the match.

As far as the illumination, doesn’t matter. I have never had a need for illumination at a match. Actually I don’t have batteries in any of my scopes.

Reactions: YotaEer
And to the point of the FOV, on paper it seems like a big difference but I really don’t notice it going back and forth between my pro and my friends mark 5.

Other than the reticle which I think is the biggest deciding factor. I really like that the Burris has tooless re zero for the elevation as well as the option for the white board elevation turret that helps on some stages and you can pop it off and write your dope on it back behind the line then go pop it back on.

Turrets are a little better on the leupold, glass is close enough between them that it will depend on the person looking, I do like the 34mm tube size on the Burris over the 35mm leupold for ring and mount selection

No longer in production but Burris XTR3 are another option

Get the Burris Pro. I just mounted my second one up last night. Got all the features you will need for a match scope. The reticle is great for holds, the tooless zeroing is simple, the elevation knob being able to be written on is nice and takes away need for a data board, capped windage, and the glass is very good. The FOV as mentioned is very good. Also as mentioned 34mm rings/mounts are much easier to find than 35mm. The 5.5-30x power range is a good one even if you will be using 15-20x mostly having the extra power and working in the middle of your power range instead of the top is nice.

Get with Scott @LibertyOptics for the best price. Put it in the cart for the price.

Anyone wondering, Strawbossman is just laughing at my post because I laughed at his post recommending an IOR that he put up a TRex review of in another post. Being new he obviously doesn't understand the Hide's history with both those things. ;)

Reactions: RFutch
I would look for something in the ~5-25ish power range.

Stick with mils, this way you are speaking the same language when it comes to angular units of measurements as the other competitors. MOA will have you on your own island. Best to avoid that.

Good recommendations already provided here. You can also find good value in the used market, or check out SH supporting vendors sites for any sales or demo units. Don't be afraid to call either to ask. CS Tactical, Mile High Shooting, Eurooptic, CameralandNY, etc.

You can definitely find some used Khales in that price range. I really like the complete package that Khales provides - maybe not the single best in any one category (except maybe tracking reliability), but as a complete package they compete very well and are a great value on the used market.

Kahles makes a great scope, I had a gen 3 6-24 but sold it for a Burris pro, I feel it was a very good “upgrade”

There has been multiple xtr pros and mark 5’s in the classifieds here in the last week or 2 for well under 2k

Does Burris still have stiff knobs and knurling that'll hamburger your delicate digits similar to the xtr3? They reminded me of a medievil mace or meat tenderizer.

I have had 2 xtr3’s the texture is sharp and aggressive but if you pull the turrets and clean inside the turret and the outside of the turret housing and put a little light oil on it they turn much easier. Mine have all been the original xtr3’s and had a very sticky grease inside the turret making it difficult to spin.

My picks, in the order I'd recommend them:

1 - used/preowned Razor HDG2 4.5-27 from the PX - still a great proven/bombproof scope, Vortex warranty is reassuring, they'll take care of you if something were to happen, even if it's your fault (like maybe you bubba your scope's sunshade while putting on a new barrel - ask me how I know lol) - used they go for ~$1700 to as low as ~$1500 if someone is really looking to move theirs, sometimes you can get a mount/rings included too.

2 - Either Burris XTR3 or Pro from Liberty Optics (like @Rob01 said), great glass at a great price.

3 - If you qualify for the Bushnell LEO/Mil discount, their XRS3 is a really good scope for around the same cheddar as a Burris from Liberty.

You want Mil/Mil examples only.

Throwing another vote up for an XTR pro or XTR III 5-30 if you want to buy new. The III punches way above its class for the price. Yes Mk5 or NX8 glass is slightly nicer, but not $500-1k nicer imo.

If you're open to used to meet your budget I would add Mark 5 5-25, NX8 4-32, and Razor GenII 4.5-27 to your list for consideration.

Yes they are. They are just illuminated now. You can see them in the Liberty Optics link above.
They are illuminated and no longer made in US and therefore have a different model number. I guess we are both right

Does Burris still have stiff knobs and knurling that'll hamburger your delicate digits similar to the xtr3? They reminded me of a medievil mace or meat tenderizer.
It kills me how this is the constant bitch on snipershide. My wife, my 10 year old daughter, and my 7 year old daughter have all run an xtr3 a lot. Even dialing for an entire match, none of them have ever bitched about the turrets or the knurling. Then again, they don't read snipershide to get preconceived notions about such things either.

If you hate the turrets on the 3, get a pro. They are a lot better for soft hands, although I was disappointed in how easy it was to turn them.

I actually do think the knurling is a somewhat legitimate complaint if you're nitpicking. I just get a huge kick out of the fact that two tiny little girls don't say a word about it, yet grown ass men bitch about it incessantly;-)

I briefly owned an XTR3 and discovered at least with my copy on what caused the really stiff turret. Burris applied a very thick gray paste/grease underneath the turret cap. Once I cleaned it up I was able to zip the turret very easily. Night and day difference. Worth taking a look for those complaining. I know I did.

Post in thread 'Burris XTR3!!!'
https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/burris-xtr3.6913504/post-10158829

I'd say if you could catch one of the liberty optics sales, the gen3 razor for 2k is the best buy to be had.

If they hold up to abuse, I would agree. $2k for a gen 3 razor is a very good deal. I really like the xtr pro, but if you could get them for the same price, I think the gen 3 is a bit better.

Normalize use of the search features:
a 5 year old thread is useful considering the $1k-2k market hasn't changed one bit