• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

New Rainier match AR barrels?

DPRoberts

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 8, 2011
St.Louis, MO
Has anyone had hands on the new Rainier Match 18" or 16" barrels? They're sold out so I was hoping a couple Hiders might have gotten their hands on one and could comment on how they shoot. They seem to have that same specs as WOA barrels with a 1-8 twist and a 50$ lower price tag. Both of those things make them very appealing to me but WOA barrels have a track record for exceptional accuracy.

Has anyone tried one out yet or heard anything?

Re: New Rainier match AR barrels?

I heard WOA barrels are made from Wilson blanks and Rained are from Shilen blanks. Rainers custom uppers shoot 1/2 moa pretty easily. All I know they are good enough for the SEAL reece guns they are good enough for me to put one on order .

I have one of their select 18 inchers in 308, yes I know it's apples to oranges to grapes, but I'm loving my barrel. Not sure of actual accuracy but I shot an MOA target at 300 yards. I'm content. Plus the matchs have a little better reputation, go for it.

I am looking at getting one of their "Select" .223 barrels for a perimeter rifle for work. Since it's got a 90 day money back guarantee I figure I don't have much to loose. Build it, shoot it and return it if I don't like it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sithlord</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I heard WOA barrels are made from Wilson blanks and Rained are from Shilen blanks. Rainers custom uppers shoot 1/2 moa pretty easily. All I know they are good enough for the SEAL reece guns they are good enough for me to put one on order . </div></div>

The "ultramatch" are shilen blanks the new "match" are wilson.

I guess I'll just have to try one. I like the look of the contour rainier is using on the 16" over the WOA. 1-8 twist is pretty nice too.

Just a heads up. As of this post these barrels are in stock. I picked one up and will do a review along down the line.

Looking forward to the review. I am in the market for a 16in barrel for a Recce buld.

I have a 16" Krieger light profile 1/7 16" barrel profiled for the OPS 12th collar/brake. With the DD M4 12" rail and SOPMOD stock ir is a handy weapon to carry.
I get zero POI shift from cold bore to hot, suppressor or not. Sub MOA groups at 500 meters, but it did take about 4 mags to settle in, cleaned/decoppered after the first 20, 40, and then 100 (very very little) rounds of MK 262.

url]
[/img]

I didn't read all the posts but I just got a 14.5 rainier. I love W.O.A.'s stuff, went to them first. They were sold out of the 14.5 and weren't going to be turning more anytime soon. They sent me to Rainier saying that they just turned a bunch of 14.5 for them. I called Rainier and they said that about half of there barrels are W.O.A.

If you call them and let them know you would like a W.O.A. barrel they might be able to lead you to your match. I didn't care that it was marked Rainier as long as the turning was WOA.

When I first got it I was really impressed but the more load development I did with it the more frustrated I got. Didn't seem to like the 75 hornadies I use no matter the powder which was especially annoying as I have 1k+ of them sitting here. Did get a few 1" or so groups with 52match bullets but in the end you have to ask yourself if it's worth throwing money at different bullets and powders in the hopes one will be the 'magic' one.

Ended up swapping it for a rainier ultra match and it is much better. Loads which were giving me 1.5-2MOA groups are now 1-1.25MOA and my best ones are grouping in the 1/2-3/4 range unless I screw up.

So, Rainier +1, their 225$ match barrels I'm not sure. I was probably just unlucky.

WOA makes Rainer's barrels from Wilson Arms(not wilson combat) or Shilen blanks.

I just got the last Rainier UltraMatch 18" SPR contour barrel.

I will hopefully have my upper assembled soon and will post a range report. I trust those guys, and Rainier does not sell crap, so I have pretty high hopes. We will find out.

I have an ultra match 18" and it is unbelievably accurate. I havent shot it past 400yds yet but at 400 ten shots in about 2"-2 1/2" is the norm with 77gr SMK's. Its in a Mega matched billet upper/lower set with a Viper PST 6-24. Buy with confidence
2012-02-09_13-55-02_733.jpg

2012-02-09_13-55-19_161.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 6.5mmman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just got the last Rainier UltraMatch 18" SPR contour barrel.

I will hopefully have my upper assembled soon and will post a range report. I trust those guys, and Rainier does not sell crap, so I have pretty high hopes. We will find out. </div></div>

What do you mean by 'last' ~ the last one they had then or that that particular barrel is changing or N/A?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: smschulz</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 6.5mmman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just got the last Rainier UltraMatch 18" SPR contour barrel.

I will hopefully have my upper assembled soon and will post a range report. I trust those guys, and Rainier does not sell crap, so I have pretty high hopes. We will find out. </div></div>

What do you mean by 'last' ~ the last one they had then or that that particular barrel is changing or N/A? </div></div>

Last one until they get some more in stock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 6.5mmman</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: smschulz</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 6.5mmman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just got the last Rainier UltraMatch 18" SPR contour barrel.

What do you mean by 'last' ~ the last one they had then or that that particular barrel is changing or N/A? </div></div>

Last one until they get some more in stock. </div></div>

Ahh, I see.
Yes, they are in high demand and constantly in and out of stock.
A while back I was waiting and waiting for the same barrel and ended up getting a WOA SDM 20" as a 'compromise'.
Very happy with the WOA but have three other Rainier Ultra match barrels and a slightly cheaper Wylde Rainier barrel too.
All are great but the UM are superb.

I have a Shilen blank 18 Intermediate. It is a tack driver. Constantly under 3/4 MOA with TAP. Much less with handloads.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cox380</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can the Rainier Match 223 barrels handle 5.56 Nato? </div></div>

The Wylde chambers can.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BCP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When I first got it I was really impressed but the more load development I did with it the more frustrated I got. Didn't seem to like the 75 hornadies I use no matter the powder which was especially annoying as I have 1k+ of them sitting here. Did get a few 1" or so groups with 52match bullets but in the end you have to ask yourself if it's worth throwing money at different bullets and powders in the hopes one will be the 'magic' one.

Ended up swapping it for a rainier ultra match and it is much better. Loads which were giving me 1.5-2MOA groups are now 1-1.25MOA and my best ones are grouping in the 1/2-3/4 range unless I screw up.

So, Rainier +1, their 225$ match barrels I'm not sure. I was probably just unlucky.

</div></div>

Did you try 77SMK's or 77 Noslers? Had the same problem with 75 Hornady's in several of my AR's. Switched to Noslers and groups tightened in all of my rifles. The Hornadys had inconsistent weights and some seemed less concentric. Dumped the 700 Hornadys I had and replaced them with Noslers. Tried SMKs and same results as the Noslers.

No I didn't I only have 75horn for heavy bullets at the moment. Like I said I tried other lighter ones and it just plain didn't shoot with anything. Very inconsistent.

If you're thinking about one go for it BUT I would get a couple boxes of match ammunition and test it with that. If it doesn't shoot acceptably send it back asap don't do what I did spending money and time hoping it'll eventually 'shoot better' with the 'right load.'

I have a 18" Rainier "Select". Mines a shooter, haven't done any precise measurements, but when I was working up loads I was getting some great groups with 77gr SMKs

I have one on my MA-Ten build, and I'm pretty impressed with it so far. No complaints here... Hell, I'm thinking about buying another for my SBR build.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CSAR FE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have one on my MA-Ten build, and I'm pretty impressed with it so far. No complaints here... Hell, I'm thinking about buying another for my SBR build.</div></div>

Do you have the "select" or the "ultramatch" in 308? I'm finishing up my 308 AR build, and was looking heavily at the rainier stuff for it too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BBJones</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BCP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When I first got it I was really impressed but the more load development I did with it the more frustrated I got. Didn't seem to like the 75 hornadies I use no matter the powder which was especially annoying as I have 1k+ of them sitting here. Did get a few 1" or so groups with 52match bullets but in the end you have to ask yourself if it's worth throwing money at different bullets and powders in the hopes one will be the 'magic' one.

</div></div>

Did you try 77SMK's or 77 Noslers? Had the same problem with 75 Hornady's in several of my AR's. Switched to Noslers and groups tightened in all of my rifles. The Hornadys had inconsistent weights and some seemed less concentric. Dumped the 700 Hornadys I had and replaced them with Noslers. Tried SMKs and same results as the Noslers. </div></div>

I haven't yet been able to to adequately evaluate my 16" rainier match barrel yet but I've had similar problems with Hornady bullets. I havn't been able to get 68's or 75's to cooperate. 77gr Noslers are next in line. I'm pretty confident this barrel will be a shooter once I find a load it likes based on how well it shoots milsurp. I get very close to MOA with m855.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: aard3</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CSAR FE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have one on my MA-Ten build, and I'm pretty impressed with it so far. No complaints here... Hell, I'm thinking about buying another for my SBR build.</div></div>

Do you have the "select" or the "ultramatch" in 308? I'm finishing up my 308 AR build, and was looking heavily at the rainier stuff for it too.
</div></div>

Ultramatch