• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Ranch Firearm?

THE MGD

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 18, 2011
S. TEXAS
Looking for a new higher caliber rifle to replace my 22mag. I love this rifle because I can shoot rat shot out of it and still make my distant long range kill shots. Looking for a higher caliber to help me nail quick shots on my hogs without having to worry too much about shot placement. (head shots).
Ive been looking at these rossi 410/45 but theyve got terrible reviews. On the flip side of that though , many of the "reviews" are from people who have never fired, or owned it.

Any suggestions or REAL reviews?

Re: New Ranch Firearm?

While the lore is rampant with bad news about the Ruger Mini-14; I've sighted a few in for friends, and as a ranch rifle, I'd second it.

Working on a basic assumption, maybe the Mini-30 with Hornady V-Max steelcase training rounds could also be a decent comprmise, hog-capable, which is what a ranch rifle tends to be. Alternatively, TulAmmo, etc. 125gr HP rounds could work.

I'd mount it with the Tasco 2.5-10x42 MilDot Varmint/Target scope, a decent value for the under $100 classification. More magnification would likely be wasted.

Either of the above can bag a Southern deer at a sane distance (100-150yd) with decent shot placement. Up here close to Canada, deer are a different critter, often approaching 200lb. Smaller deer don't survive up here, they don't have the body mass to tolerate the Winters. What I hear about Southern deer is that they run a bit smaller.

Greg

The 223 isnt much of a hog killer unless you make a headshot. Same goes for 243.

The 7.62x39 does much better. Problem with the Ruger Mini 30, at least prior to its redesign, is its just not accurate enough. Its a 4 minute gun for the first few shots until it warms up some. I havent shot the new version to see if its any better. My AK is more accurate than my mini 30.

A Winchester 94 in 3030 would probably do the trick. Hits hard, accurate, compact rifle for your truck. Not much for long distance though. How long of shots do you expect?

Me, all the ranch gun applications are done with 7.62x39 (and I have no ranch).

For up close and quick, the SKS does it for me. Choate Dravunov stock (which offers quite a bit better accuracy than the Norinco birch furniture), B-Square gas tube scope base and rings, Centerpoint dot scope, and TulAmmo steelcase fodder.

For the reach, the Savage Scout 7.62x39, with conventional mount, Tasco 6-24x42 MilDot Varmint/Target, and PMC Bronze. Bore and bullets are both .308, and this rifle may respond even better to a handloading project this coming season, once the ground thaws. I have 110gr V-Max, SRA 125gr Pro-Hunters, and 125gr SMK's to try. Not a lot of difference between a 7.62x39 and a .30PPC, eh?

My Win 94 is the 94AE with a ProPoint, and packs a 44Mag punch, with up to ten in the tube. It's my woods gun for deer. Also holds .44 SPC, feeds and functions smooth, not half bad for Cowboy Action/plinkin'.

Greg

My old man is on the ranch everyday all day. He rides 1000's of miles a year just in his pastures. He's carried .22 Mag, 30/30, 22-250 and now he carries a 7-08 single shot. It's one of the break over single shots I think H&R. He loves it. Mind you it gets beat around in his truck all day. It's never cleaned or cared for. If it stands up to his abuse it's a decent rifle. I'm sure the cost is reasonable because he wouldn't have bought it if it hadn't been. He mostly shoots hogs and coyotes with it. If your ok with a single shot, consider it.

SP

I have a 556 and a 7.62. I will agree the 223 shoulder shots do little more than wound, without a head shot. The 7.62 right on again on shot 3 the shot is off.
What really sells me is the 410 or rat shot rounds. Ive got rats, mice and voles I find in my feed bins and silos. I dont use poison around the feed for obvious reasons, and I have a lot more fun shooting them. Every month or so I shoot a copperhead, rattler or cottonmouth thats wandered to close to where little ones play or my coral. And while a hoe makes short work of them, by the time I grab it, they dig into a lumber pile or hole/pocket. So chasing them with rat shot is all too easy .
My "long range"shots are at 35 - 275 yards (normally off irons). And yes a 30 30 is ideal, but lacks the rat shot. If they had a over under 410 /270 or 30 - 30, or hell 308 id be sold.

I know a few old redneck farmers who use AK47's and SKS's while out on their tractors. They have enough power and accuracy to kill anything that needs killing, and they have the ability to kill many of them within a few minutes. Plus, they are dirt cheap with tons of accessories to hang off them

Can you get rat shot in a 45/70? If not, I would say just get and carry a little derringer 22 pistol and a 45/70.

Take a look at any of the lever actions in 357 mag. Mine is a Marlin 1894 with 10 rounds in the tube. The 357 in a 16" barrel is effective from hogs to deer with fast follow up shots, and you can shoot the shot as well. Regards

WOW a 444 and a 3030 lever will fire and cycle rat shot!!??
Ive heard of the 357 mags but I thought that was only for pistols?
I guess I was sure wrong...

There's a reason the Mini 30 is called the ranch rifle.

Marlin CSS 357
CIMG1211.jpg

My sister killed her first deer with a mini 14 when she was 12 it wasn't an instant kill due to range and the fact that it was a big mule and the bullet impact on the ball joint of the front shoulder.

The bullet shattered the socket and ricocheted down and broke the front leg the next shot went through the ribs and took out the heart.

We later found out the deer was a buck that had shed its horns early it was halloween at the time. Ruined a good belt dragging the cleaned body up a hill 600m's it was quite a heavy deer.

Shot placement is key with a .223 I would not recommend it on mule deer, white tail I could see good success depending on size.

My brother lives in texas and hunts hogs with a mini-30 and likes it.

.223 kills hogs just fine. I don't know how these hog myths got started, someone must have been a shitty shot, flat out missed and blamed it on the cartridge. You don't have to hit them in the head either, through my vast hog exterminating experience I have found they tend to crumble when hit anywhere. With that said I did put three into a 250 boar last Sunday with subsonic 7.62 X 25 to no avail, one .223 (FMJ) in the shoulder sent it down.

Maybe your hogs in OK have less drive to survive. I have shot 2 hogs with a .40s&w at 12ft away. The first one in the head and the second just slightly ahead of the rear hip. The first went stiff legged on his back. The second sat like a dog on command let out a scream then booked it at about 12mph ( all while mind you in the seated "sit position") . Dragging its ass like some kind of wind up toy running to the brush I had to chase it down give it one more in the head, while trying not to laugh.
Picture your dog with worms dragging his behind at full human running speed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 50calcruiser</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.223 kills hogs just fine. </div></div>

I agree, although if a poor in general shot is used results won't be great. With a .223 sp behind the shoulder works fine as long as a decent bullet is being used, a FMJ will work as long as vitals are hit.

I bought a new Ruger Scout rifle last year just for this reason. Short, light, mag fed ( AICS, 5 and 10 round included ) 308 caliber, good for anything I have on the place, and rugged, no frills. First thing I did was de-frill it more, pulled the irons off, pulled the pic rail off, added sling and 4x14 Zeiss. It stays on 4x, and has whacked many pigs, porcupines and aoudad sheep ( trying to thin those feeder busting bastards out some ).

Sighted it in at 200 yards, everything inside 300 is good to go with 150 TTSX.

We all started carrying whenever outside the house there too. Either LCR in 357 ( one snake shot, four wadcutter) or a 1911, depends on what you like. Haven't had any issues yet, but we are only 100 miles from the border, and have had a lot more Border Patrol activity the last couple years.

Very happy with the Scout rifle. Quite a few more guys have bought them since seeing ours.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nortex</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 50calcruiser</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.223 kills hogs just fine. </div></div>

I agree, although if a poor in general shot is used results won't be great. With a .223 sp behind the shoulder works fine as long as a decent bullet is being used, a FMJ will work as long as vitals are hit. </div></div>

^^^^This, I have killed many hogs of all sizes with a .223, they are not some bulletproof creature, that needs a .50 BMG to take them down. Good or multiple shots will take them down easily.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MGD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I have shot 2 hogs with a .40s&w at 12ft away. The first one in the head and the second just slightly ahead of the rear hip. The first went stiff legged on his back. <span style="font-weight: bold">The second sat like a dog on command let out a scream then booked it at about 12mph ( all while mind you in the seated "sit position") .</span> Dragging its ass like some kind of wind up toy running to the brush I had to chase it down give it one more in the head, while trying not to laugh.
Picture your dog with worms dragging his behind at full human running speed. </div></div>

Well no shit! You shot him infront of the hip. What the hell did you expect? Put the bullet where it needs to be and it will drop them, and that is NOT in front of the hip.

Blackhawk41 says, "My sister killed her first deer with a mini 14 when she was 12 it wasn't an instant kill due to range and the fact that it was a big mule and the bullet impact on the ball joint of the front shoulder.

The bullet shattered the socket and ricocheted down and broke the front leg the next shot went through the ribs and took out the heart."

Dont know ya so nothin personal but gotta call you out on this one. Guessin you haven't quartered too many deer. There is no ball and socket joint on a front shoulder.

My father bought that Rossi Circuit judge a few months ago. I haven't had a chance to use it (living in a different state) but he thinks it's just a hoot. BUT...it might just be the honeymoon period of having a new toy to play with. He doesn't exactly put guns through their paces. It's only gotten shot a few times, so I can't attest to its durability or whatnot. But it has already killed a few grouse and some feral cats. He likes it alot. If there's anything specific you'd like me to ask him about it just let me know.

I don't have experience on hogs, but I have shot a few coyotes with some 3in slugs that the box claims 1750fps and 780 ft/lbs of energy. Coyotes sure don't like them
grin.gif

Ubet my point was earlier stated " shot placement didnt matter (the hog will crumble when hit anywhere)" and im agreeing with you it does matter.
Ive shot plenty with .223 as well, shot placement was just as crucial. (giving you all the benifet here I WAS using surplus FMJs)
My 30 30, 308, 270, 12ga, and 7.62 are a bit more "forgiving" in terms of shot placement

Have you considered one of the 44 Magnum lever rifles?
Several people mentioned .357 magnum rifles but the .44 magnums have more shot in the rat loads.

I have one of the Ruger .44 Magnum lever action rifles and it would appear to do what you are looking for. One the best things about it is that the rifle really feels and handles like a 22 rimfire rifle.
They have a rotary 4 round magazine but you can have several extras handy. Paint the one that is filled with shot loads a different color.
Haven't personally shot any birdshot loads out of it but the reason I bought the rifle is because the lever action works just fine with lower power 44 special loads.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MGD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ubet my point was earlier stated " shot placement didnt matter (the hog will crumble when hit anywhere)" and im agreeing with you it does matter.
Ive shot plenty with .223 as well, shot placement was just as crucial. (giving you all the benifet here I WAS using surplus FMJs)
My 30 30, 308, 270, 12ga, and 7.62 are a bit more "forgiving" in terms of shot placement </div></div>

Ok, I misunderstood you, my apologies.

There is nothing wrong with a good old 30-30. The 7.62x39 has almost the same ballistics. Keep an old .22 or .410 in the barn for rats. Then the worry of carrying two different cartridges is non existent.