• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes New Release: Cronus BTR Gen 2

It's a catch 22 for me because my S&B had a parallax knob that turned too easy so when I had it on my big gun I'd have to refocus it every 2-3 shots.

Too tight isn't much better.

Slightly stiff, that works fine for me.

Just right right works best. I like the one on my March 5-42!

I'll get on here in a week or so and comment about the parallax tension on mine as well as first impressions.

I got mine today. I played with it for all of 2min. The parallax is just fine for me. It's not sloppy loose and it's not hard to turn. It's solid, and I'm sure will loosen up some with use. Same with mag. Ring but this means nothing to me I throw a billet MKM lever on. Really like the looks of the new APRS6 with the thick top post removed and .2mil hashs all the way up and down can't wait to get this thing mounted

Stay tuned for a full side by side Gen1/Gen2 APRS1/APRS6

Started taking pictures, weighing the 2 scopes and got it mounted up today for the review... the Gen1 and Gen2 weight exactly the same to the ounce on the scale.... 2lb 3.2oz....

They changed to a more aggressive knurling on the turrets and mag ring for better grip.. I mounted the scope in my MDT 1 piece mount on my 6br TL3.

The mag ring is different on Gen1 vs Gen2. Talked to @Tyler Kemp at MK Machining about a throw lever and bubble level for this Gen2 for the review. He said he just printed some so I'll be testing that out in the review as well!

I was favorably impressed by the Gen 2 when we got our first one in. I think it keeps up with a Razor quite well. But, I think the Razor's turrets look cooler...lol. The Cronus Gen 2 turrets are really crisp feeling.

I was favorably impressed by the Gen 2 when we got our first one in. I think it keeps up with a Razor quite well. But, I think the Razor's turrets look cooler...lol. The Cronus Gen 2 turrets are really crisp feeling.
@Tyler Kemp when will you have throw lever ready and scope caps?

Lever and focus wheel getting added to the site today or tomorrow.

Caps too possibly, I think it may be the same as the Gen 1 Cronus. We'll measure.

Reactions: bassmaster07
Thanks for the info guys. Looking forwarded to hearing the rest of the reviews. I think I am about to pull the trigger on one of these.

Lever and focus wheel getting added to the site today or tomorrow.

Caps too possibly, I think it may be the same as the Gen 1 Cronus. We'll measure.
@Tyler Kemp tried to find them on the site this am and could not. Please update us when they are ready for order. People are ready to spend money.

Got my Cronus BTR G2 4.5-29x56 today. Very nice in every way. Actually this is the only scope in this price range that I've gotten, "including" the original Cronus, and the Cronus BTR, that I was super impressed with right out of the box!
The controls are on the firm side of feel but not stiff. Man those turrets are awesome, super distinct and zero lash!
The reticle is WONDERFUL!!!
It's so cool putting the scope on 4.5x and plainly seeing the reticle with it lit up daylight bright!!!!
Glass is great.

You know how we buy scopes and it always seems we say to ourselves, shoot I sure wish the Co had done this, or done that, or what's up with this???
Well I can finally say to myself - awesome man Athlon got this just right!!!

Sure if it had a 2nd rev indicator, and locking turrets like the one's on my March HM 5-42x56, it'd be perfect but for the cost of the G2 Cronus I don't care, I'm just getting more of these.

Seeing the Gen 2 has "Stainless internals"...

As opposed to what, in the Gen 1?

Seeing the Gen 2 has "Stainless internals"...

As opposed to what, in the Gen 1?
That is all i seen but i didn't know if i was missing anything. I never have heard of the btr breaking inside

I mean,
The gen 2 has stainless internals,,,,
As opposed to what, in the gen 1?

The turrets are definitely an improvement over the BTR, and much more distinct than even the Midas TAC’s that I have felt. Definitely 2 thumbs up.

Ha, there was a little mix up because I talked to two different people at Athlon a few days apart, another one came in the mail today??!!

Yuh know what, I'm keeping it :cool:

Reactions: One1Bravo
How is the wind turret on the gen 2? Harder to turn? My gen 1 gets turned on accident alot

It’s much harder to turn. Shouldn’t turn on accident. My BTR turned 1 mil on a stage this past summer. These turrets are a welcomed update

Reactions: Schw15
Same here, the turrets are awesome, so is everything else. I have no idea why but the glass in these things look great to me???

I like the new knurling on the controls, that the actuator on the mag ring isn't sharp anymore, and the BIG numbers on the elevation turret.
DSC00303.JPG
DSC00305.JPG
DSC00306.JPG

Snag a 1.776" and a 2.557" model here:

For some reason the site is giving me fits both on getting caps in those dropdown menus to be in numerical order, and getting the Cronus specific set to show up on the Athlon page.

Any other opinions on the new APRS6 @steve123?

I’m looking at the new Helos Gen 2 with this reticle as well as a maybe another Cronus/Ares ETR with the APRS6. How does it compare to the APRS1?

Reactions: steve123
Any other opinions on the new APRS6 @steve123?

I’m looking at the new Helos Gen 2 with this reticle as well as a maybe another Cronus/Ares ETR with the APRS6. How does it compare to the APRS1?

You're asking the wrong person because I don't like .5's mixed with .2's in a reticle/APRS1, exactly why I sold my ETR and my Cronus BTR, so APRS6 all the way for me.

I was just looking through the G2 Cronus scope half an hour ago, my opinion hasn't changed, I LOVE this scope! Good thing I don't need any more of them right now or I'd be deep in debt because I couldn't say no to myself.

I want to try the Helos G2 as well, I have a 2-12x42 on order, but might try the APRS6 in one of the others.

Reactions: YotaEer

For some reason the site is giving me fits both on getting caps in those dropdown menus to be in numerical order, and getting the Cronus specific set to show up on the Athlon page.
@Tyler Kemp Thanks. Order placed!

I sent a request to the website , asked if the Ares ETR would fit, I was asked to measure the Cronus BTR and was told they'd be up on the site at a later time.

I have a gen 2 cronus on the way. Sent in an ares etr that bounced out of the gun holder on the 4 wheeler an got smashed. Chuck calls says cant fix want another ares or upgrade I ask how much and he tells me I say let's do it. Cant wait to get it from all im reading on it

Reactions: K80/6.5
Came today first impressions are wow. The turrets are definitely amazing. Hope to get behind the glass one day this week and give my thoughts

Attachments

• 20210301_171105.jpg
    20210301_171105.jpg
    354.6 KB · Views: 48
Did anyone else get one from Doug at Cameraland in this sale they just had? Awesome price!!

Got my caps and throw lever. They work great, as expected. The eye piece cap was a tight fit but it works just fine.

I just got mine in late last week, took it to the range on Saturday.
I'm happy with it.
The glass, to my eyes, is very nice, the turrets will not be turned by accident, but they are VERY crisp and tactile.
I had no issues with the parallax adjustment, it is not loose, but not overly tight.
I did get the APRS6 reticle as it was a bit cleaner than the other one.
I was really surprised that it didn't come with ANY scope caps at all. I really wasn't thrilled about transporting to the range without caps.

I just got mine in late last week, took it to the range on Saturday.
I'm happy with it.
The glass, to my eyes, is very nice, the turrets will not be turned by accident, but they are VERY crisp and tactile.
I had no issues with the parallax adjustment, it is not loose, but not overly tight.
I did get the APRS6 reticle as it was a bit cleaner than the other one.
I was really surprised that it didn't come with ANY scope caps at all. I really wasn't thrilled about transporting to the range without caps.
I can help out ;)

I would like to know if any of you are able to compare the eye box "sensitivity" to the razor g2 ?

If it is definitely better it would make me purchase one instead of another razor g2.

They are extremely similar. I can't really tell a difference holding them by hand.
I would like to know if any of you are able to compare the eye box "sensitivity" to the razor g2 ?

If it is definitely better it would make me purchase one instead of another razor g2.

I’m looking at picking up a new Cronus gen2.
this will be my first Mil scope. Finally decided to try out mil since everyone keeps telling me to switch. Now I was wondering if anyone can help me out with the reticles . With the aprs1 the elevation marks are .5 vs aprs6 with .2. Is the aprs1 usable or is it necessary for holdovers to have .2 mil marks?
thanks

I’m looking at picking up a new Cronus gen2.
this will be my first Mil scope. Finally decided to try out mil since everyone keeps telling me to switch. Now I was wondering if anyone can help me out with the reticles . With the aprs1 the elevation marks are .5 vs aprs6 with .2. Is the aprs1 usable or is it necessary for holdovers to have .2 mil marks?
thanks

It's personal preference.

But for holdovers and holdoffs I like seeing where 1 click is in the reticle by bracketing the .2's in the APRS6 reticle for odd numbers - .1, .3, .5, .7, .9 or using the even number .2's.

It's personal preference.

But for holdovers and holdoffs I like seeing where 1 click is in the reticle by bracketing the .2's in the APRS6 reticle for odd numbers - .1, .3, .5, .7, .9 or using the even number .2's.
Thanks for the info I appreciate it.

Reactions: steve123
Also considering the new Gen 2 Cronus for my new MPA and definitely prefer the .2 marked reticle. Its a tough call against the Razor Gen 2 though. The Razor may be a little more coin, but it is a proven performer with one of the only downsides being weight.

Also considering the new Gen 2 Cronus for my new MPA and definitely prefer the .2 marked reticle. Its a tough call against the Razor Gen 2 though. The Razor may be a little more coin, but it is a proven performer with one of the only downsides being weight.
I'm guessing you aren't doing a lightweight build, if so more weight is not really a downside.

Last edited: