• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

New Reloader: CFE 223 Results in .308

Unknown Welder

Private
Minuteman
Oct 13, 2013
Hello all, I'm new to the forum after lurking for a long time. I have recently got into the hobby of reloading and took advantage of the Canadian Thanksgiving long weekend to do some load testing. After much reading and careful selection of components and procedures I decided to perform and OCW test with my newly loaded rounds. I shot the test with my Remington 700 5R in .308 Winchester. The groups aren't the best and I can admit a lot of shooter error could be present. The load data is as follows;

Case - Winchester
Powder - Hodgdon CFE 223 - 45.5gn to 47.8
Primer - CCI Large Rifle
Bullet - SMK 175
COAL - 2.800

Any input of further testing a certain load would be much appreciated. One of my rounds from the 45.5 gn group landed in the 46 gn group, my error compounded by a large wind gust, hence the 4th round in that group. I am more concerned with the 47.5 area, it shows much promise but I am concerned it is at the max book load. I think that is my most stable area judging by the adjacent groups. I have no pressure signs, even at 47.8 gn which is above book max. I have included a picture of my fired cases, other than the ugly firing pin strikes, which I have read is common due to the large Remington firing pin hole in the bolt face, I think they look pretty good.

Results: @ 100yds

Fired Cases: Largest Loads on the left. The black on the primers of the higher loads is from a shapie which I used to indicate the book max +.

I hope to supply this board with as much of my knowledge as possible, your help and suggestions would be much appreciated. This powder seems promising and I hope to get some velocity readings this week. When I cleaned the rifle this morning it was quick and easy, maybe the reduced copper fouling claims have some merit too. I have learned much from this community and hope to be able to give some back as well. Thank you all.

I have two Remington 308 Winchester rifles with 1-12" barrels that don't particularly like 175 grain bullets. I did find a load with 175 Nosler CC's with CFE223 that both rifle likes. 46.5 Grs. of CFE223 gives me 2750 FPS out of a 24" barrel. This load in both rifles shoot about .7 MOA.

Last edited:
Thank you for starting the discussion. I have 8lbs of CFE coming soon.

Im intending to use IMR 4064 for my .308 loads but want to play with the CFE in that role also. Hope you dont mind me tagging in.

The 11.25 twist of my barrel seems to like the heavy bullets and I much prefer the heavies, especially when getting out to further distances. My reasons for interests in CFE 223 is the ability to shove the heavier slugs along a little quicker....and I could get some haha. I think this load will work out, needs more tuning though, seating depth, charge weight refinement ect. Im hoping for some input from the many experienced hands on this site regarding which direction to go. I hope to finish this thread with some good load data and information to share about this relatively new propellant.

I am hoping for good results from CFE as well. I am going to load some and see what happens. Will post results when I do so. Meanwhile, I hope this thread grows.

I've had great results with 48gr of cfe behind a 168gr bullet. Both smk and amax bullets. When I tried to work a load up with some 175smk's I had a very small node. Meaning it would shoot great at x charge but when I would go .3 above and below it would shotgun and that was running the ocw work up. My 1-12 remi sps tac just didn't like the combo. I ended up switching to varget for the heavies and I had a much bigger cushion in my chosen node. Cfe did shoot great in my 223 as well. 50-60gr bullets was all I worked up in that platform.

I've had great results with 48gr of cfe behind a 168gr bullet. Both smk and amax bullets. When I tried to work a load up with some 175smk's I had a very small node. Meaning it would shoot great at x charge but when I would go .3 above and below it would shotgun and that was running the ocw work up. My 1-12 remi sps tac just didn't like the combo. I ended up switching to varget for the heavies and I had a much bigger cushion in my chosen node. Cfe did shoot great in my 223 as well. 50-60gr bullets was all I worked up in that platform.

Dustin, I think I mentioned to you that 2000MR shoots the heavies better than CFE, didn't I? Scratching head, haha1 My Classic stocked 10 twist Stainless 700 loves 2000MR with 178s.

Dustin, I think I mentioned to you that 2000MR shoots the heavies better than CFE, didn't I? Scratching head, haha1 My Classic stocked 10 twist Stainless 700 loves 2000MR with 178s.
You did j. I just couldn't find any! I got the varget of a guy from craigslist want to trade vsrget for cfe pound for pound. I had 3lbs to spare so I gave it a shot! Literally! Lol

Your charge weight increments are too large. OCW uses 0.7 - 1.0% increases. That is a .3 - .4 grain increment.

Scatter nodes are 1.5% away from accuracy nodes, so your 1.1% increments could easily miss the accuracy nodes.