• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New reloader, question on issue with Barnes bullet

mb121

Nomad
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 5, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
I recently, within the last few months, got into reloading and have been reloading strictly 175/168 gr SMK. First time working up a hunting load and selected the Barnes 168 TTSX and the Nosler 165 gr BT. Haven't loaded the Noslers (will be using Nosler's load data but substituting brass) yet but this question relates to the Barnes.

Components that I am using are Barnes 168 gr TTSX, FGMM brass, Fed 201M primer, IMR 4064 powder, case trim- 2.005 and COAL- 2.810.

Barnes load data:
Case: Winchester
COAL 2.810
Starting: 42.0 gr
Max: 46.0 (107% Load Density)

Hodgdon load data:
Case: Winchester
COAL 2.800
Starting: 43.0 Gr
Max: 45.0(C)

During the work up I often heard the "crunch" noise early on which I assume is from the longer length of the 168 gr TTSX vs. the 175/168 gr SMK that I am use to. Worked up 3x ea: 43.0, 43.5, 43.7, 44.0, 44.3, 44.5 (double checked on my RCBS charge master scale and RCBS 5-0-5 for each charge). I would check the COAL and find it sitting higher than the 2.810 the first time so I would just run it through again and it would be to the correct COAL. This is the first time that I have reloaded with the Barnes bullets and am just looking for some answers as to if these rounds are safe to fire due to the crunching noise and what I can assume is a compressed load?

If unsafe the rounds will be discarded and counted as a learning lesson.

Last edited:
Some people argue that a compressed load is the most stable? Compressed loads are fine, but do check each charge increase as you go. Look for pressure signs.
As for loads you deem unsafe, you can pull the bullets and salvage all the components. Reloading is not a science or an art, your rifle will let you know when things start to go awry.

Reduce the load by 1.5 grains of 4064 from Winchester data when using Federal cases. They have a lot less case volume.

The 168 gr. Barnes T-TSX is incredibly accurate out of my .308 and devastating on deer and pigs.

My load is as follows:

Lapua Brass
168 T-TSX
44.1 gr. Varget (IMR 4064 was very accurate as well)
CCI BR-2 primer
COAL: 2.810 (Barnes like a good jump)
2700 FPS

Federal brass is thicker than most, even Lapua so you will want to reduce your loads by 1-1.5 gr. from what the Barnes load data says. The crunching of the powder doesn't necessarily mean that it is a compressed load. I suggest shooting an OCW test to determine the best powder charge and node.