• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New reloader with question.

LuckyScott

Private
Minuteman
Aug 30, 2013
So Cal
Okay, I have been moving toward reloading for a while now. Bought powder, bullets, brass, and primers. Then, got the dies.
Wife picked up a reloading setup for me for christmas from a friend. Used, but in good condition. RCBS single stage for my 7mm Remington Mag.
I dont have everything I need yet, but almost.

Here is my first issue.
I tried reloading a couple rounds without powder or primer. Just to try it out.
I full length sized the used remington brass. De capped the primers, and seated a bullet. Sierra gameking 160 Gr. bullet. I mic'ed the OAL of the brass and I mic'ed the OAL of the bullet.

My problem is the brass is collapsing. The shoulder of the brass is all wrinkled. It seems that pushing the bullet in is crushing the brass down. I measured and it looks like it is getting crushed about 40 thousand.

I do not have a campher / de burr tool yet, is this the problem? What else would cause the brass to crush and wrinkle like that?

pictures would make it easier to diagnose, but it could be a couple different things.. If youre sure that the shoulder crumpling is not happening during the full-length resizing.. Then maybe it sounds like the bullet is too big of diameter for the case neck.

I do see it happening after the full length sizing, then it gets worse when I seat the bullet.

Are you properly setting your bullet seating die? Place your sized case on shell holder and slowly raise ram all the way up and screw your seating die down until contact with case is felt and back off 1/4 to 1/2 turn to ensure your not crimping your case. I am assuming all of your components are of correct size.

Sounds a little odd, assuming those are boat tail bullets, even without deburring. Though for hand tools, I like my Lymans as separate tools, and don't care as much for the combo tools. If you didn't look at your brass after resizing, it sounds like you have what you'd see from using too much resizing lubricant. It hydrolocks in the die and dimples the shoulders.

Your seating die is screwed in too far. Follow the directions that come with the die and it should fix itself.

I do see it happening after the full length sizing, then it gets worse when I seat the bullet.

If signs begin with resizing then you are using to much lube, use a nylon brush on insides of used brass and a very small amount on the outside by rolling or a quick spray to test.

"it sounds like you have what you'd see from using too much resizing lubricant. It hydrolocks in the die and dimples the shoulders."

Interesting, I did not think of this.

"Place your sized case on shell holder and slowly raise ram all the way up and screw your seating die down until contact with case is felt and back off 1/4 to 1/2 turn to ensure your not crimping your case. "

Back off 1/4 to 1/2 turn? I thought you screwed it in a 1/8 to a 1/4 to take up slack?

Are you properly setting your bullet seating die? Place your sized case on shell holder and slowly raise ram all the way up and screw your seating die down until contact with case is felt and back off 1/4 to 1/2 turn to ensure your not crimping your case. I am assuming all of your components are of correct size.

Do like irondude stated also is it a crimp seating die ? there more work to set up.

"Place your sized case on shell holder and slowly raise ram all the way up and screw your seating die down until contact with case is felt and back off 1/4 to 1/2 turn to ensure your not crimping your case. "

Back off 1/4 to 1/2 turn? I thought you screwed it in a 1/8 to a 1/4 to take up slack?

I was referring to your bullet seating die, most reloading manuals have very clear directions if your die set did not come with them.

Update: Looks like I got it figured out with the help of reloaders here. My dies were too low in the press, thus causing pressure on the top of the brass. Loaded a half dozen this morning after spending some time re setting up the dies. They look great, so I will try them out at the range next time I go.
Thanks for all the input!

Update: Looks like I got it figured out with the help of reloaders here. My dies were too low in the press, thus causing pressure on the top of the brass. Loaded a half dozen this morning after spending some time re setting up the dies. They look great, so I will try them out at the range next time I go.
Thanks for all the input!

Make sure you put in primers and powder for the ones that go to the range :)

Don't get caught up in the "camover" part of the sizing die set instructions. Adjust your dies so that they resize your brass just enough to fit back into your rifle's chamber without bolt pressure. This will make your brass last longer and keep you from having headspace issues. It sounds like you figured out your seater die was set too low, you CAN crimp if you want to, you just need consistent trim lengths to make them fit.