• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New reloading room!!!!

huntinggamo

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 14, 2010
Northern Colorado, United States
Started building a new reloading room, figured some of you on here would find it interesting. will keep this thread updated as it progresses. took and section off the one car portion of the garage with a new wall, ran all electrical and an air line, insulated, sheetrocked, and mudded. next is paint for the walls and epoxy for the floors. it is going to be 1/10th man cave and 9/10ths reloading room. planning room for the safe, fridge, microwave, tv, radio, couple nice roll around office chairs, all reloading equiptment, new cabnets, ect. let mee know if you have any to good to pass up ideas...lol. 180 sq ft of heated and air conditioned bliss...

DSC01133.jpg

DSC01132.jpg

DSC01134.jpg

DSC01135.jpg

DSC01136.jpg

new photos as of 3/22/12
got the room sanded, primed, painted, got lights put up and outlet covers put on. starting the floors in the morning.

DSC01143.jpg

DSC01145.jpg

new photo as of 3/25/12 floor is done, needs a few more days to cure before the safe can be rolled acrost it...

DSC01147.jpg

new pics as of 3/30/12

DSC01152.jpg

DSC01155.jpg

Re: New reloading room!!!!

Nice! Some green envy going on over here!

we have a 220 heater to put up in the corner and a window ac unit to put in the cutout in the wall between the garages, ran the ac while hanging sheetrock. with r-19 insulation it works great, almost to good...lol

Very cool. I am working on my new one right now too...along with the rest of the basement. Looks like you are a lot further along than I am! Have fun with it.

I would think that keeping your safe in a room with a garage door is a bad idea.

I did the same thing at a previous house. I built cabinets that enclosed the freezer and safe and painted them to match the safe so it wouldn't stand out.

Looks good. Look forward to seeing the progress.

Do you have the ceiling insulated? This will make a huge difference.

Looks like you added foam board insulation to the door- consider finding stronger assist springs so your door opener isn't handling too much of a load

I would have personally put in a piss-load more wall outlets. You may find yourself knocking out the single gang boxes and rotoziping in existing construction duplex boxes so you can get more plugs.

Plan on a dehumidifier in the summer maybe?

Might consider putting a lock on the garage door- a safe is great, but if it can easily be accessed, it can either be more easily broken or more easily hauled off.

Consider some very very short burber carpet, or put in some of that rubber floor padding, inter-locking tiles stuff.

Did you run a cable for TV?

Have you considered a small direct vent gas furnace? Might be less expensive to run. Also take a look into mini-Split Unit A/C's. These are available in high efficiency models and for an area that size 9800btu would be plenty. This way you don't have anything hanging out of the wall. You mount the inside unit (condensor) high on an outside wall. Then the compressor sits on a pad or blocks outside the same as a normal A/C unit would, but it's much smaller. The two are connected by some wiring and two coolant lines. These are typically a good bit more efficient than a "window A/C" unit and you don't have to worry about smacking your head on the "outside" part of the unit. They do cost a bit more and require hard-wiring but IMO it's well worth it. I put a 12k BTU unit in my garage for about 600sq ft and with an avg of R49 in the ceiling and R12 in the walls and door, it does a good job of cooling the garage in the middle of summer.

Any way you can install a sink?

Consider a ceiling fan no matter what way you go with for heating and A/C- all methods listed between you and me, none circulate the air very well- a ceiling fan on low will do wonders to keep the room temp feeling more "even"

UM, not sure what you did for airline, but have you heard of "RapidAir"? I put in the cheaper ($100) 1/2" set for my reloading room and the more expensive ($270) 3/4" set for my garage. My reloading room I have running on a 2gal senco compressor (3.6 CFM @ 90) in my storage room so it isn't TOO loud. No reason you couldn't run off your garage compressor though being you're next door
smile.gif

HMMM Okay that's all I got for now- keep us posted on the progress; I might have more ideas for you as you move along. Hopefully you'll end up with the perfect set-up with your thoughts and everyone's input!

Looks great so far!

What an awesome idea, I really like the fact that you will have a garage door to move things in and out. I would highly suggest a large flat screen tv.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gfunkUK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Glitter ball and Dancing pole? </div></div>

+1

sign on the door says "no fatties- no shankster"

Uh oh, you didn't use mold resistant Bluewood--Mike Holmes is gonna have a fit!

All kidding aside, nice work. I'd love to have that kind of space. I would look into a metal cabinet for your primers and powder similar to what a shop would store their flammable materials in. Keep us posted!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: adam3999</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Uh oh, you didn't use mold resistant Bluewood--Mike Holmes is gonna have a fit!

All kidding aside, nice work. I'd love to have that kind of space. I would look into a metal cabinet for your primers and powder similar to what a shop would store their flammable materials in. Keep us posted! </div></div>

Not a good idea- most powder and primer companies recommend storing in wooden cabinets- if something ignites a large number of primers or a lot of powder the metal cabinet may cause serious injury

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DP425</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: adam3999</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Uh oh, you didn't use mold resistant Bluewood--Mike Holmes is gonna have a fit!

All kidding aside, nice work. I'd love to have that kind of space. I would look into a metal cabinet for your primers and powder similar to what a shop would store their flammable materials in. Keep us posted! </div></div>

Not a good idea- most powder and primer companies recommend storing in wooden cabinets- if something ignites a large number of primers or a lot of powder the metal cabinet may cause serious injury</div></div>

Interesting. I thought the recommendation was metal but not air-tight. Thanks.

+1 on more outlets. I have a 12x12 room, and I have 8 outlets on each wall. That way, if my ideas change, and I need to move stuff, I will still have plenty of outlets accessible.

Shelves: I ripped 3/4" MDF down to 12" width and made 1x3 angle brackets to hold the shelving up.

Other than that: Jealous that yours is attached to your house, mine is in the barn...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bmk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What an awesome idea, I really like the fact that you will have a garage door to move things in and out. I would highly suggest a large flat screen tv. </div></div>

Why, you want one?
wink.gif

Man I'm jealous.

What does that project ad to your cost per round?

Your looking at $5.00/round for .45 APC now. Lol just kidding.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 78steeler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Man I'm jealous.

What does that project ad to your cost per round?

Your looking at $5.00/round for .45 APC now. Lol just kidding. </div></div>

with as much as i shoot it will still pay for itself...lol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DP425</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you have the ceiling insulated? This will make a huge difference.

Looks like you added foam board insulation to the door- consider finding stronger assist springs so your door opener isn't handling too much of a load

I would have personally put in a piss-load more wall outlets. You may find yourself knocking out the single gang boxes and rotoziping in existing construction duplex boxes so you can get more plugs.

Plan on a dehumidifier in the summer maybe?

Might consider putting a lock on the garage door- a safe is great, but if it can easily be accessed, it can either be more easily broken or more easily hauled off.

Consider some very very short burber carpet, or put in some of that rubber floor padding, inter-locking tiles stuff.

Did you run a cable for TV?

Have you considered a small direct vent gas furnace? Might be less expensive to run. Also take a look into mini-Split Unit A/C's. These are available in high efficiency models and for an area that size 9800btu would be plenty. This way you don't have anything hanging out of the wall. You mount the inside unit (condensor) high on an outside wall. Then the compressor sits on a pad or blocks outside the same as a normal A/C unit would, but it's much smaller. The two are connected by some wiring and two coolant lines. These are typically a good bit more efficient than a "window A/C" unit and you don't have to worry about smacking your head on the "outside" part of the unit. They do cost a bit more and require hard-wiring but IMO it's well worth it. I put a 12k BTU unit in my garage for about 600sq ft and with an avg of R49 in the ceiling and R12 in the walls and door, it does a good job of cooling the garage in the middle of summer.

Any way you can install a sink?

Consider a ceiling fan no matter what way you go with for heating and A/C- all methods listed between you and me, none circulate the air very well- a ceiling fan on low will do wonders to keep the room temp feeling more "even"

UM, not sure what you did for airline, but have you heard of "RapidAir"? I put in the cheaper ($100) 1/2" set for my reloading room and the more expensive ($270) 3/4" set for my garage. My reloading room I have running on a 2gal senco compressor (3.6 CFM @ 90) in my storage room so it isn't TOO loud. No reason you couldn't run off your garage compressor though being you're next door
smile.gif

HMMM Okay that's all I got for now- keep us posted on the progress; I might have more ideas for you as you move along. Hopefully you'll end up with the perfect set-up with your thoughts and everyone's input!

Looks great so far!</div></div>

celing is insulated

door has already been adjusted

outlets were well planed, but you never know

dehumidifyer? it's colorado...lol. maby a humidifyer...hehe

safe will be very well bolted down to both the floor and the wall.

the floor will be geting an epoxy coating and some nice office chairs, they dont roll well on anything but a hard surface...

tv has been covered, its behind the wall when we are ready for it...

looked into mini split and some other heat options and they were all very expensive, i think the 4000 watt electric we have chosen will heat it up quickly and hold the temp well. the room will remain abient temp unless it is being used...

could install a sink but it would be a gigantic pain, might happen in the future if it is needed enough but dont see the need right now.

thought about a celing fan but it looked tacky and wierd with the way the room is layed out, have a small box fan we can use till i find a better solution.

runing the airline off the garage compressor, just 3/4 sch 40 pvc, more than enough air for what we need.

keep the input coming, lots of good ideas and sugestions.

new photos added
smile.gif

What posters and stuff do yall have in your man caves? anyone want to donate swag from their company to go on the walls? it would be good advertising... going to need some interior decorator help...lol

man I thought when I saw the big door you would be able to shoot from the room too.but the houses around you want let you do that.well anyway you have a great start to a nice room.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 5R milspec</div><div class="ubbcode-body">man I thought when I saw the big door you would be able to shoot from the room too.but the houses around you want let you do that.well anyway you have a great start to a nice room.</div></div>

I wish, that would be the ultimate....

Nice room!

Looking forward to the photos when it completed

when it dries you need to put some kind of gun logo down or something.a really big floor to add a touch to.

Very nice. I am officially jealous. I agree with the logo idea as well. That would be pretty cool.

What type of coating did you end up going with on the floor? I'm looking at doing something along the same lines to my garage floor

if it was me, i would look into replacing the garage door with a true roll-up, the kind that rolls into a compact cylinder right above the opening. i would jsut use the manual chain assist. that way you dont have that garage track in the way and have more open area where you can hang lights or storage.

just my .02. a really badass idea and execution so far!

Nice room, congrats on the work and effort put into it.

I do have one question though, you going to bar up those windows, or maybe put some preventive in place from having an intruder get into your room? Or did you already address this issue, or maybe it's not an issue. Just my 2 cents.

Anyways, again, nice room.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Charger442</div><div class="ubbcode-body">if it was me, i would look into replacing the garage door with a true roll-up, the kind that rolls into a compact cylinder right above the opening. i would jsut use the manual chain assist. that way you dont have that garage track in the way and have more open area where you can hang lights or storage.

just my .02. a really badass idea and execution so far! </div></div>

Yeah but those have very low insulation R value- if any at all

I'm sort of thinking that both the garage door and windows could be vulnerable to B&Es unless you take precautions. I wouldn't post how you plan to address those points online where everyone can see it but be sure to do something to keep prying eyes and hands from getting any ideas. I like the room, looks like a it's going to work very nice for you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Radar86</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm sort of thinking that both the garage door and windows could be vulnerable to B&Es unless you take precautions. I wouldn't post how you plan to address those points online where everyone can see it but be sure to do something to keep prying eyes and hands from getting any ideas. I like the room, looks like a it's going to work very nice for you. </div></div>

Yeah I wouldn't depend on the opener to keep the door shut. I'm sure there's a lock kit available for the door that would take care of it sufficiently enough. I don't see anyone spending too much time trying to break in through a garage door in the front of the house; certainly not to the point of prying panels out and what not.

Re: OT:: New reloading room!!!!

new pics up, got the reloading bench stained, clear coated, and installed. got the fridge in, safe in and bolted down ( it would take a freight train to move it, 1/2" bolts on all 4 corners and bolted to the studs on the wall ). installed the base cabinets, and got the counter tops cut and ready to stain. still need to stain the 2 remaining counter tops, clear coat them, and install them. also need to do the upper cabinets over the reloading bench and between the safe and fridge, put some shelves in, and decorate the place. of course the 3 presses need to be mounted also...lol