• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing New Rem 308 5R help

gei

Private
Minuteman
Dec 28, 2007
New Orleans, LA.
New rifle, took some ammo I had loaded for M14, starting loads in manual, low pressure. Fired them in the new rifle, Almost went into shock when I saw the primer. It seems that the firing pin hole is too large for the firing pin.
Has anyone run into this before, does it hurt anything?
Would Remington repair this?

Re: New Rem 308 5R help

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gei</div><div class="ubbcode-body">New rifle, took some ammo I had loaded for M14, starting loads in manual, low pressure. Fired them in the new rifle, Almost went into shock when I saw the primer. It seems that the firing pin hole is too large for the firing pin.
Has anyone run into this before, does it hurt anything?
Would Remington repair this? </div></div>

What are you seeing in your primer? Do you have any pics for us to see?

Is it cratering around the firing pin strike you see or has the primer backed out of the case head a bit?

Mine does the exact same thing, see here.

I was told to get my firing pin bushed. If I compare the primer next to my 98Bravo fired brass, it just makes a nice little dent, nothing like the 5R.

Hope the picture helps, I would like to know the answer also.

Craig

Craig how does your rifle shoot, all I did was shoot some old ammo that was loaded to low pressures.

My rifle is capable of so much more than me. I've gotten some good groups with both 168 and 175gr Federal Gold Medal Match with SMK's. I also ordered some of the Southwest ammo rounds that Frank did a video about. I've been doing some reloading for it as well. It seems like it does well with all the loads I've tried, kinda makes it hard to develop one load, heh. I'm sure once I get some more time behind the trigger it will all come together.

Craig

I bought a new 5R that would not hold 3-4 inches at 100 yds w/ any repeat any reload or factory load. I wasted a couple hundred bucks on ammo and components ,changing mounts, scopes. Also untold time loading,driving to and from range,checking screws,etc. I had about 5 different people shoot it. Also had an AD with it. Put shell in chamber, closed bolt, flipped safety off BOOOOOOOOM! Finger no where near trigger. My buddy runs the gun shop I bought it from and he gave me all my money back on it after I showed him all the targets and telling him about the AD. I am done w/ new Remingtons.

My new .308 stainless fluted leaves the firing pin marks like that also. Gun shoots 1/2 to 5/8" groups...so I am not going to worry about it. I have seen lots of those on fired brass on our rifle range.

Thanks for all the information, makes me feel better, am sure the gun will shoot, brought 3 handloads with 43 varget & berger 168, two rounds touching and one 1/2" away. Only 3 shots don't tell anything, but i think it is going to be a shooter.

I've bought 5 new Remingtons over the last 4 years and each rifle has had the exact same firing pin hole issue. There has been no effect on accuracy or function and even using Federal primers, I've never pierced a primer. In fact, the guns all shoot very well. I've just chosen to ignore the issue, much like Remington has simply ignored the issue.