• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

new rem 700 wont chamber a round

cobyb

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 27, 2012
federal way wa
i bought a new rem 700 in .308 varmint. i was replacing the stock will a bell and carlson that was on my 5r, when i got everything together i loaded the internal mag to make sure everything worked properly and it did not. the bolt would not close all the way, so i tore it all back down to a barreled action to see if it still would not chamber the round and sure enough no luck. i looked at the case and it had a few scars near the primer end of the case. then i tryed to throw in a snap cap and it went right in without any problems. i measured the diameter of the snap cap and it came in at 0.462, and the loaded case measured 0.469 and the reloading book i have says not to exceed .473, so i this somthing im just going to have to take to a gun smith? im not sure i want to deal with a long wait from remington. any help would be greatly appreciated
thanks coby

Re: new rem 700 wont chamber a round

Are you using reloaded rounds that were fired in your 5R? If so, the shoulder needs to be pushed back a tad and the case full length sized.

Have your tried to load a factory round? If a factory round chambers ok, then pick up a different lot of brass for your Varmint as its chamber is a little tighter than the 5R.

A good tool to have is a Wilson case guage, or a RCBS precision mic, to measure to the shoulder.

did you install a new scope base

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M855</div><div class="ubbcode-body">did you install a new scope base </div></div>

My first thought too. Too long a screw either from the scope base, or from an action screw.

Sometimes on new Remingtons the extractor is really tight and will not allow the case head to pass over it, look for an extractor mark on the case head, seen this happen before.

Probably the front action screw since it "almost" closes. The other stock must have been a hair thicker through there.

From what I understand he took it out of the stock and it still wont chamber.

I have tried it out of the stock so it can't be the action screws. Ill pick up some factory ammo and try that, although I have a felling that its not going to make a difference. And I haven't put a scope base on it yet.

So, is the ammo you tried reloads? If so were they full length sized?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cobyb</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have tried it out of the stock so it can't be the action screws. Ill pick up some factory ammo and try that, although I have a felling that its not going to make a difference. And I haven't put a scope base on it yet. </div></div>

Try the factory ammo, I bet your problems disappear. Hopefully I'm right.

So have full length resized the brass, its the brass I use for a dpms gas gun and end up with the same results. So if factory ammo works I still wont be able to reload for it

Sounds like it may be case head expansion then from the DPMS... if I not reading to much into what your have posted.

If the factory ammo chambers you are going to have to separate your brass for the two rifles or get a small base die... segregating the brass is the better of the two if that is the case. A small base die may work but then again not always.

I have redding micrometer dies for the 5r and rcbs fl dies for dpms. I keep the brass for the to seperate.

I kid you not, I had a rifle that could only use brass if it was fired through it. I could use factory loads but if I tried brass that was fired through any other gun it was a no go, even with FL sizing.

Separate the brass.

well i have not tryed any new ammo yet, but being that thier are small scars on the brass in the same place everytime could thier be a burr or imperfection. i'v pulled the bolt but i cant see anything

If a snap cap chambers but your ammo won't, the problem is almost surely your ammo.

A scope base screw threaded to far through would block the bolt regardless of the action being in or out of the stock.

If your ammo is reloaded, im about 99% certain your brass has been stretched by a sloppy chamber and your not pushing the shoulder back enough when you resize.

Factory new ammo will likely chamber and shoot fine.

I cut the chamber and tenon, and barreled a rifle for a friend and he was very frustrated because he could only shoot factory ammo, the bolt wouldn't close on his reloads. He thought the match chamber was too tight. His reloads wouldn't work at all.

I checked his reloading setup and reloaded rounds and the shoulder was .15, yes a full tenth and a half, longer than nominal!! I could just set a reload next to a factory round and could visibly see the problem. They were fired through a Vietnam era M14.

when he was resizing the brass, he just pushed it into the sizing die untill it stopped, not realizing that the brass still needed to be pushed in .15 deeper.

One i identified the problem we tried to push the shoulder back on the stretched brass. We couldn't get enough leverage on the press to push that shoulder back, we tried a cheater bar on the press handle but gave up when we thought the handle was going to bend. It was Federal tactical nickel plated brass.

stand one of your reloads up right next to your snap cap, see if it looks like the shoulder on your reload is higher than on the snap cap.

Its unlikely that it would be as bad as that M14, that you can see with the naked eye, but you never know.

i just ran a case through the body die from my redding dies and bumped the shoulder back as far as i could and it did not make a differnce.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Force_Multiplier</div><div class="ubbcode-body">small base die? </div></div>

i guess if thats the only option

Cobyb, let’s start over.

1: Have you fired this gun previously?
2: If yes, was this with your reloads?
3: If no, I assume the brass was fired through your DPMS?

5: When you say “the bolt would not close all the way” do you mean the bolt is not far enough forward to turn the bolt handle down at all???? Or does it turn down a little and stop before it should.

5a:You say you have not put a scope base on the action, but have you touched the set screws (if there is any) in the mount holes and possible this is the bind? If the bolt handle turns a little and abruptly stops before it should this may be the culprit…

6: “i measured the diameter of the snap cap and it came in at 0.462, and the loaded case measured 0.469 and the reloading book i have says not to exceed .473,” where was this measurement taken on the case, the rim size or the web (just forward of the extractor groove) ?

7: Do you have a tool to measure your shoulder to judge shoulder set back/bump when resizing?
If not get one, Hornady makes a cheap one and in the long run it will save you money by helping you set up your dies correctly and not overtaxing your brass which will lead to short brass life. There are better tools but this works well enough without the larger price tag.

If the brass was fired in the DPMS and loaded into the bolt without full length resizing I can just about guarantee that it will not fit as semi auto chambers are cut a little more generous to aid in extraction. This is where a small base die “MAY” solve the problem.

8: When you say “i looked at the case and it had a few scars near the primer end of the case” was this from your efforts to chamber during this test or were they there previous to that?
9: Could the scars be from high/over pressure loads fired previously? Such as ejector swipes, a small round circle in the area of the head stamp lettering? Or on the rim from the extractor from the DPMS

I have some real crap brass that was fired through my AR several times that has all sorts of marks from hot loads that even when full length sized to fit my bolt require more effort to close the bolt because they change the case dimensions ever so slightly they throw off head spacing in the chamber.

Before I would buy ammo I would just get some new brass (because you are going to use it eventual anyway) and see if it will chamber. If you purchase the Hornady (or other) headspace/shoulder length measuring tool expect the new brass to grow .002-.004” after firing, if you have a neck sizing die use it on your second loading and then take the measurement on the twice fired brass. Reason = sometimes it takes more than the first firing for your brass to fully expand to the full size of your chamber. This would be the time to set the full length die up to push the shoulder back just a little over .001 but not past .002” now retest the resized but empty cases in the rifle. If the bolt closes with just a hint of resistance vs. no resistance when the gun is empty you are good.

Something we didn’t cover is bullet seating depth, but I doubt that is your issue in a Remington chamber…

Pop out the extractor then try to chamber a round again......it may have a burr on the extractor and that is whats leaving the mark.

Something else to consider, check the chamber and bolt recess area for debris and/or fouling that maybe present from shooting or cleaning.

And while you have the bolt removed from the rifle does the cartridge case fit in the bolt face correctly... and under the extractor while not binding or showing signs of an overly tight fit.

Any chance you could show us with a pic what these “burrs” are on the case/rim/head stamp.

Like Niles said, but make sure you push the case head straight onto the bolt face tho

Go get some new brass or factory ammo or borrow a round of it from someone and try chambering that. The most likely cuprit, if the bolt closes on a snap cap and there's no debris in the chamber, is the reloads, we can guess all day at the problem or use a simple test and solve it. If it fails to chamber a factory round, contact Remington or a gunsmith, your chamber or your bolt has a defect.

I'm going to agree with the above that you should try some virgin brass or factory ammo. I'm going to guess that your brass is stretched to a long, sloppy chamber in the gas gun. You've not sized it back enough to fit the Remington chamber. You should segregate your brass. Use a different stamp for each gun.

Ok so I picked up a new factory round from a friend and that Sob went right in. Iwould not have thought that the chamber in my 5r would be so sloppy. Thank you all for the help, ill just have to get some new brass. Just my thinkingwill I be able to reload once fired brass from the new gun, the reason I ask is because I resized the brass that I was trying with the Redding body die. And it still wouldn't go.

Sorry I didnt see this sooner I went through the same thing when I just bought an AAC SD. I could have short lived your pain. As someone already said "Small Base". I tried to use "full lenght" resized brass that I picked up from a friend that was all shot out of gas guns. The rounds after reloading would not chamber in my rifle either. Lucky me I shoot alot of both .223 gas guns and a bolt rifle so I knew what was happening.
You can reload for both of these guns but you are going to want to use small base dies. I bet this will help.

The chamber isn't sloppy, if it were, you'd be able to feed that other brass. The issue is the chamber in your gas gun, if I'm reading your comments correctly. It's not uncommon for them to be a more "sloppy" to aid in feeding.

Just to clarify...have you resized the brass fired out of the 5r?

If I'm understanding correctly, you have only resized the brass from another gun...that gun being a gas gun having a gas gun chamber.

If you're having an issue with that die and your chamber, try a different die...maybe a competition die set.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: seanh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The chamber isn't sloppy, if it were, you'd be able to feed that other brass. The issue is the chamber in your gas gun, if I'm reading your comments correctly. It's not uncommon for them to be a more "sloppy" to aid in feeding.</div></div>

I agree, you will be able to load for that rifle (5r) and it will be fine and yet still chamber in your DMPS, just not vice versa. FWIW, I would still invest in a tool to measure your shoulder. That’s just the nature of autoloaders.

so i think things got a little mixed up when i was talking about diffrent guns, i shouldnt of even brought up the gas gun, i ment to say that i have 2 diffrent types of dies, one redding comp-set with the micrometers, and a regular set of rcbs dies for the gas gun. i have also seperated the brass that i use for the 2 guns. now i bought the 3rd gun witch is the remington varmit, and it would not accept the brass from either one. so when i tryed to resize a designated (5r) piece with the redding comp body die i still hadno luck. i am very sorry for any confusion on my part.

so now when i fire a new case from the varmit rifle will i be able to size it down to reload it?
thanks again everyone

I've seen this before, cobyb. a friend of mine tried to reload .223 "range" brass he had picked up. could not get it to chamber in his AR. All chambers are different!! sometimes it works, sometimes it don't. I segregate my brass according to which gun they were fired in, makes life much simpler. Especially if you are shooting a match chamber! At one time I was reloading for two other shooters beside myself. It was driving me crazy keeping up with everyone's used brass. I don't any more.
happy hunting!

unless there is something seriously wrong with your chamber, you'll be able to reload it. Probably won't be able to use the same settings as you do on your other guns but you'll be able to reload it.

I don't bother with full length dies anymore...Just neck size and trim. Once I go through all my brass a few times, I'll full length size it but that may be a while.