• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New Remington 700 police with rough rifling

Judge

Private
Minuteman
Mar 14, 2008
Gentlemen, I own a New Remington 700 Police in 308 with 5R barrel and 1/11.25” twist. When I received rifle I noticed a lot of
copper fouling inside barrel towards the muzzle end which must be from factory firing before it ships. I have cleaned the rifle and still trying to break in barrel slowly, however I have noticed the rifling has slight Horizontal machine marks and that it is Lightly stripping copper off the bullet Jacket when firing.

My question is does repeated firing smooth out these marks on the rifling and if not, is machine marks on rifling normal for this rifle, I am aware that barrels that come lapped don’t have this problem.

Have you fired it yet? Is the accuracy ok? The more you shoot it the more you'll wear down the rifling, including the machine marks.

If it shoots good have fun, if not you got a lemon. Luck of the draw from remington factory.

Let us know how it shoots. I have heard good things on th 5r Remingtons.

Run some final finish thru. Lots of info out there on the subject to help you decide if it's for you. I've done it on some factory tubes with positive results.

Reactions: 6brshooter
I had a similar situation a few years ago with a Remington SPS in .308, it took about 200 rounds before it tightened up to where I could put ten rounds just under an inch.

I have one of the older model 5R rifles back when they were the 700SS version, maybe 2007 or 2008? It has been very accurate but the rifling is ugly and the bore is tighter in the middle of the barrel than the chamber end or muzzle end. It shot sub half MOA with factory ammo and shot my handloads very well. The main issue I had with it was the chamber was really long. The brass grew a lot and it had a lot of jump to the throat. I shot almost 3000 rounds through it before I retired it. Now I have a GAP 308 barrel action and the 5R is sitting in my safe while I decide what I might do with it.

I did not have any major fouling issues. It stopped having heavy copper fouling after about 8 rounds when I did the break in thing. After that it was mostly powder fouling. It liked to be a little fouled to shoot really well.

I wouldn't worry about it. Shoot it and see what it likes and see what it does after a couple hundred rounds. If it is still having issues then send it back to Remington.

Send it to LRI for their Rem700 group buy work.
They'll time, tig, rebarrel in no time, and you won't be disappointed.

Is it this bad? (Pic was a brand new Ruger MKIV pistol from a couple years ago. They replaced it)

Attachments

• BC3925C2-2511-4909-8584-5C912CC51360.png
    BC3925C2-2511-4909-8584-5C912CC51360.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 143
Lap the barrel. Shooting the Barrel in just takes away from that many good shots.

Send it to LRI for their Rem700 group buy work.
They'll time, tig, rebarrel in no time, and you won't be disappointed.

Highly suggest this.

If you're really into precision shooting that I would suggest getting a barrel spun with for it. Do what you can with the barrel that came with but probably won't be very happy with it... they just shoot okay bye PRS standards.

As a side note, my bore was lapped then tort a bit more... Shot much better but still not completely happy with it.

Chad rework the action, put the new Barrel on and I couldn't be happier

Except that the perpendicular machining marks are readily visible at the muzzle.
Shoot the gun. My savage is a dirty fouling pig, rough as a corn cob. Shoots great. Out shoots my wilson barrel that is slick and shiny.

Shoot the gun. My savage is a dirty fouling pig, rough as a corn cob. Shoots great. Out shoots my wilson barrel that is slick and shiny.

I had a Savage Precision Carbine, barrel had very visible marks. Looked like a corrugated drain pipe. But it did shoot. Im not sure how the added copper fouling etc would have had an effect on velocity or long range accuracy as it was a shorter range hunting gun but was a honest 3/4-1 moa shooter

Yes I have fired 33 rounds and it shoots OK, nothing anyone here would be proud of, Smoothy8500 is correct In that these flaws are visible to the naked eye, no borescope. It is what it is, just wanted to know if repeated shooting would take care of it.

BTW the pic that Superjet added is basically what I have

You could hang a new Remage Criterion barrel on it, I just finished up a Remage project, and it shoots extremely well.. I would do that before I sent it off to LRI..

Yes I have fired 33 rounds and it shoots OK, nothing anyone here would be proud of, Smoothy8500 is correct In that these flaws are visible to the naked eye, no borescope. It is what it is, just wanted to know if repeated shooting would take care of it.

Shooting will clean a little bit up but not completely for what you're looking for. I would seriously consider having the barrel lapped. If you don't know somebody locally and don't want to send the gun out, you can always just pull the barrel and send it.