• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New rifle build up question

hillsidehog

Private
Minuteman
Jan 7, 2012
I'm wanting a 300 win mag. Started off with Savage cutting me a heavy fluted barrel @ 26". Why would I do that I get asked. Honestly..Idk. I read how well they shoot so I think " why not". What am I going to gain having krieger, shilen, hart, etc. do the same thing if they all can shoot. I'm very new to this kind of doing since I always just purchased a gun off the shelf. I would of course get a stock & trigger & brake to go with. I like Sendero's but why pay that when I hear people putting more $ into them when I can have Savage make me something like a Model 112 & just add bullet. I do want something I can say I put together. Let the lead fly....sure I will get some interesting input. Don't shoot me for being new...literally..glad to join this site..see lots of knowledge & input on others questions..sry for being long winded aswell.

Re: New rifle build up question

Having a hard time following your post. Are you looking to buy an off the shelf 300 WIN MAG and customize it, or are you looking to build something to your specs from the ground up?

If your looking for something for the ground up, what's your price range? Surgeon actions are nice if you have the money, but that may not be for you. what are you looking for? several options are available (surgeon, templar, big horn, rem 700 and more). getting a custom match barrel fitted to an action and chambered is ~ $500, plus the cost of the action.

If your looking to customize a factory rifle, have you considered maybe a Rem 700 300 WSM? this will let you get the benefits of a short action but still have the knockdown power of a 300 win mag. a rem 700 is nice because it is so easy to add options.

the only savage i own is a .22 WMR ... can't really help you there.

Does savage have a custom shop? I read it as he's ordered a 300WM with 26" fluted barrel from them.
Is there a question here? People here tend to be helpful, but with a preference for less convoluted posts and direct questions.

That's probably my problem. Either customizing a remington or building from ground up. I want to do from ground up. Believe it or not think that was my problem. Just got hung up on the remington vs. savage...so to say. Would be happier with my own setup so to say. Not that I am..but why don't people buy a barrel from savage if they can shoot so well. Money isn't going to be any issue. I love some of these guns I see put together on this forum. Was original looking at Hart barrels...undecided yet. Thanks for your reply.

They do. I worded that wrong. I contacted savage to see what they can do. I was put through to their custom shop. 6 weeks for a barrel. I didn't pull the trigger on it though.

Savage didn't cut you a barrel? You said they did in your first sentences...

What is your question?