• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New rifle decision, Masterpiece Arms Switch Lug

bgavin

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 19, 2018
AL
I'm rifle shopping and I THINK I want a mpa 65ba switch lug. Anybody have experience with this rifle or the WTO switch lug design? If I buy it I plan on ordering a 223 bolt and barrel to change out.

I have a sako a7 6.5 creedmoor and like it but want to try something different. I was looking at there chassis and was going to drop in a barreled action when I came across there rifles. I've only seen good reviews online. I haven't found reviews with the switch lug though.

Any other rifle I should be considering at that price point?

Use will be range only.

Thanks

I'm rifle shopping and I THINK I want a mpa 65ba switch lug. Anybody have experience with this rifle or the WTO switch lug design? If I buy it I plan on ordering a 223 bolt and barrel to change out.

I have a sako a7 6.5 creedmoor and like it but want to try something different. I was looking at there chassis and was going to drop in a barreled action when I came across there rifles. I've only seen good reviews online. I haven't found reviews with the switch lug though.

Any other rifle I should be considering at that price point?

Use will be range only.

Thanks
MPA sure makes some nice rifles especially for the money. Chassis is solid, has good range of adjustments and works good with all the different barricade stops etc. I’m not sold on the switch lug concept but sure seems handy. I’d much rather just use a good barrel vice and action wrench.

I think the ARC Barloc is a superior system so I'm getting an ARC Nucleus and a Barloc and eventually it will go in an MPA chassis (they seem to be running behind).

I think the ARC Barloc is a superior system so I'm getting an ARC Nucleus and a Barloc and eventually it will go in an MPA chassis (they seem to be running behind).
I'll take a look at the Barloc.
I'm getting a John Hancock rifle with arc nucleus but impatient and want something to play with now.

MPA sure makes some nice rifles especially for the money. Chassis is solid, has good range of adjustments and works good with all the different barricade stops etc. I’m not sold on the switch lug concept but sure seems handy. I’d much rather just use a good barrel vice and action wrench.
Dumb newb question but with Mpa regular rifle with axiom I only need a barrel vise and torque wrench to change barrels?
The reason the switch lug appealed to me was not having to ship action off. I don't know of any gunsmiths in my area to rebarrel a rifle.

I have an MPA built BA rifle, and the switch lug came out just as I got mine. I also just built a Bighorn TL3 in an XLR element and had my gunsmith use the WTO Switchlug on it and so far it works very well. The inside of the lug has a 1 degree taper so the alignment and lockup is very secure. Easy on, easy off, and they don't need the action to chamber a barrel. So far I have 120 rounds through it and so far so good. Shot a .4 Moa group at 100 while getting muzzle velocity, and I'm sure I can do better than that. So far I took it out to 475 and it's on.

My brother has the Axiom on his MPA, no switch lug, but next barrel will try it out. I was at Core in March for their steel challenge and at least one their better shooters had the WTO SL.

I'd say try the switch lug, your Axiom already has the holes for the pins, if you don't like it you can delete it.

Scott

I have the Axiom with the WTO switch lug (exactly what you’re looking at), and I love everything about it.

I guess the new Curtis doesn’t need the WTO SL, but it’s hard to see how it’s that much of an improvement.

I don’t switch calibers. I just use it to switch out barrels when I burn one. Takes all of 180 seconds. POI change is so minuscule it’s hard to gage. .I still rezero, but it’s hardly necessary.

For competition I’m pretty sure you’ll be happy. My rifle is set up exactly like Phil’s.

Reactions: A5scott
Dumb newb question but with Mpa regular rifle with axiom I only need a barrel vise and torque wrench to change barrels?
The reason the switch lug appealed to me was not having to ship action off. I don't know of any gunsmiths in my area to rebarrel a rifle.
Correct you will only need a barrel vise and action wrench to change a regular shouldered barrel. MPA Might sell you another barrel over the phone set up ready to go for the axiom actions just like Kelbly & other places do. Most of the nice custom action mfg’s hold tolerances so tight a Smith can easily thread & chamber up a new barrel that’s properly headspaced without the action. A switch lug is not the same as a shouldered barrel. With a switch lug or using the axiom set screws, the screws lock everything in and keeps it from loosing instead of pressure against the threads & shoulder like a conventional set up. Either will work, the switch lug set up is easier and allows for switching in the field or at the range without a vise or action wrench.

Reactions: Fig
Thanks guys.

I'm going to try the switch lug out. If it doesn't work out I'll have it removed and just do a shouldered barrel like was suggested.

Do any hide vendors carry these? I found one but would use a vendor here if possible.

Thanks guys.

I'm going to try the switch lug out. If it doesn't work out I'll have it removed and just do a shouldered barrel like was suggested.

Do any hide vendors carry these? I found one but would use a vendor here if possible.
I am looking at this exact rifle for a future buy. Saw your post and curious how it ended up working out for you. The idea of one rifle and having multiple caliber options is appealing.

Any issues with POI/holding zero? If it worked out for you how was going back and forth between calibers?

I am looking at this exact rifle for a future buy. Saw your post and curious how it ended up working out for you. The idea of one rifle and having multiple caliber options is appealing.

Any issues with POI/holding zero? If it worked out for you how was going back and forth between calibers?
Still have the rifle and love it.

POI and holding zero has been no issue through 2 barrels. I take the barrel off to clean quite often.

I did have a problem with my barrel from MPA. They were not much help and that's as for as I'll go. I replaced the barrel with one from keystone and about to order another for it from John. It's shooting great now.

This is just my experience with them. You don't find many complaints and mostly praise here for them.

Reactions: JeffLebowski
I can't say anything in regards to MPA, but I can say I love the Switchlug system. I have two 6.5CM barrels done by WTO and a 223 Wylde barrel that was done by Keystone.

I bought a used R700 last summer that was trued and had a Switchlug installed by Clayton at WTO. Swapping barrels without removing the action is really convenient. Locks up really secure and zero changes are easy and repeatable. Just received a new Preferred 25" 6.5 Creedmoor barrel from Clayton for it and working on loads now. It shoots well with Hornady factory 140gr ELD, avg 2750, ES 21, SD 8.4.

I can't say anything in regards to MPA, but I can say I love the Switchlug system. I have two 6.5CM barrels done by WTO and a 223 Wylde barrel that was done by Keystone.

I bought a used R700 last summer that was trued and had a Switchlug installed by Clayton at WTO. Swapping barrels without removing the action is really convenient. Locks up really secure and zero changes are easy and repeatable. Just received a new Preferred 25" 6.5 Creedmoor barrel from Clayton for it and working on loads now. It shoots well with Hornady factory 140gr ELD, avg 2750, ES 21, SD 8.4.
You had to get another bolt for the 223 Wylde correct? i'm new to this realm so I'm just trying to learn as much as I can before buying. That would be my plan in the future is to have a rifle I can shoot 6.5cm, .308, and 223 as a trainer. Would like to have the various calibers but the thought of spending money for an individual rifle for each caliber is daunting. Just being able to purchase barrels and maybe a bolt for different options is a lot better on my wallet.

I just wanted to make sure the switch lug was reliable and just as accurate as having a specific rifle for each caliber.

Just need another bolt and mag.

If I were to do it again I would put a switch lug on a bighorn origin. You can change just the bolt head on those for 125 instead of buying the whole bolt. I have both. Love my curtis axiom but I would consider the versatility of the bighorn especially if you're trying to save money.

Just need another bolt and mag.

If I were to do it again I would put a switch lug on a bighorn origin. You can change just the bolt head on those for 125 instead of buying the whole bolt. I have both. Love my curtis axiom but I would consider the versatility of the bighorn especially if you're trying to save money.

Good tip. I have a Tikka T3x in 6.5 that Clayton installed a switchlug for, it's the most repeatable and most convenient barrel switching system that I've found yet. Been thinking to add a second rifle where I can switch bolts as well so I can run a .223 trainer (not an easy option on Tikka as I'm LH shooter and they've quit making .223 LH actions at least in the US). The Bighorn sounds like a great candidate for that.