Rifle Scopes New rifle, new scope, nightforce rings?

discovery1

Private
Minuteman
Nov 12, 2011
christchurch New Zealand
Hello,
I am buying a Remington 700 sendero in 300 win mag,I will add a muzzle brake. I have brought a Nightforce NXS 5.5-22 x 56 in NP R1, I think I am going to add a 20 moa nightforce base for the 700, but what height nightforce scope rings shall I use to mount the scope? Also shall I just use 2 rings to mount the scope or go for 3 rings? As I have seen in some pictures. I would like to use the rifle for long distance targets and game.

I currently shoot a 308win Tikka T3 walnut stainless, with a bushnell 3200 elilte 5-15x40, I have had some movement with this scope untill I mounted sako optilock rings.

Thanks for any advice

broke_again

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Supporter+
Sep 7, 2010
Buckeye AZ
Re: New rifle, new scope, nightforce rings?

Use NF low rings and you do not need a 3rd unless you really want it.

Sandbogg

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 18, 2007
Nor Calif.

Broke again, are you sure the low will clear with a 56mm obj ?

I am thinking it will be close to needing mediums. The night force rings will be plenty strong if tightened properly with a torque wrench. For a little insurance I coat my rings with a very light film of automotive grade black silicone. It has yet to shoot loose on several hard kicking rifles, and cleanup is a piece of cake if you ever swap your scope to different rings ( it peels right off).

Bluejazz

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 8, 2009
IOWA

I don't think the low rings will clear a 56mm.
I would go with the medium ultralights.
I have a 50mm NXS on a 20 MOA base w/ medium rings and the fit is close.

Arno

MAJ
Minuteman
Jun 16, 2005
FT Bragg

I would go with the 1" high rings but just call nightforce the they should be able to hook you up.

wdhigh

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 10, 2010
Summerville, SC

On my sps tactical 0moa egw rail and 3.5-15x56 I use nf low .885 with some room to spare. I also tried a set of Burris xtreme lows which are shorter and still had room. Chose the nf rings in the event I need a 20moa rail later.

Not sure how size difference there may or may not be on the sendero contour.

Pappasniper

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 13, 2011
AZ

Its really hard to say. I had Low Seekins rings on my Rem 700 with a Ziess with 50 Bell. It had room so I thought with my NF 56 bell I should be fine. But when I put the 20 MOA base, and had NF with shade, I needed Med-high Seekins rings. Depends on if your Barrel is contoured, how long your scope is , your base.....but low rings seem like a stretch to me.